Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-29-2013, 01:28 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Default How important are past or current client relationships(or confidentiality) to you?

When looking into a breeder or a trainer or, well, anything?

This week alone I have seen a breeder trash a puppy buyer publicly by calling them a liar and an idiot, a trainer call their clients "asshats", and a groomer call their clients "stupid and annoying".

I have a hard time imagining myself choosing to go to and pay money to someone who'll openly bash their clients, especially when doing so by name. It would make me hesitant to engage with them. There are exceptions , of course, but for the most part, IMO, it is extremely unprofessional and impeding of my trust.

Am I alone in this?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:33 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Am I alone in this?
Definitely not.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 01-29-2013, 01:54 PM
Top Dog

Venting is one thing. Of course you're going to have bad/annoying/rude customers. And sometimes, you might let it slip that this dog is realllllly badly trained, but I don't think it's appropriate to voice that with other clients or really with people who you don't know every well.

I would want people that are realistic, but not rude. If you have a problem with that client, address it. Don't just bad mouth them.

I agree with you. I wouldn't deal with someone who is so open about their opinions. There are many ways to say "You're an ass and an idiot".

Not to mention, a lot of people take what they know for granted. Something like positive training methods might be common (dog) knowledge to you, but to someone who isn't a 'dog' person, that's a whole 'nother world of dog owning!

I am very hesitant to get a trainer since I am a newbie. I want to train my dog, but I want to do it in a 'good' way and I feel like I might get pushed around because of my lack of knowledge. (Especially in the herding world.)

Anyway, no you're not alone!

Australian Kelpie and Coursing Fiend~ 2
http://fuzzycircus.blogspot.com/
Old 01-29-2013, 01:58 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

Yeah... No....

I'd not be comfortable unless it was the odd, totally anonymous vent.... Dealing with a professional who slammed clients/ customers
Old 01-29-2013, 02:09 PM
Chihuahua Power!

I NEVER bash any clients, especially not in front of other people! I don't care if they frustrate me, annoy me, etc. I think it's very unprofessional. If you, the professional, has an issue with a client that is making you miserable enough to air complaints about them, then FIRE THEM.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 01-29-2013, 02:30 PM
Puppy Dog

I immediately dislike people who are negative and disrespectful to others. My dislike would be even more exaggerated if this was a professional relationship. I consider it completely inappropriate for a, say, a trainer to tell me how stupid or mean another client is. Um, wow. No way would I want to work that trainer anymore. I shouldn't have to worry that any problems they have with me will be aired with a stranger whose business it certainly isn't.

GYPSY, border collie & Australian shepherd mix, 1/10/10
Old 01-29-2013, 02:33 PM
such sights to show you

No, you're not alone.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:52 PM
and Spy.

I try very hard to avoid drama. Not only does it make someone look very unprofessional, but it also doesn't come across as very intelligent.

If I am frustrated with someone in a professional setting, I would probably vent to a select few close family and friends that I can trust and that I know very well. In general though, blabbing about that kind of stuff is a very, very bad idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:53 PM
Top Dog

It depends.

In the case of a BREEDER saying their puppy buyer is an idiot if they...idk...let the dog roam loose and get hit by a car, or signed a spay neuter contract and didn't honor it, or gave the dog away on craigslist without notifying the breeder...calling them an idiot is pretty justified.

A trainer telling another trainer that the people were difficult to work with because they left the puppy alone for 12 hours and wondered why he wouldn't become housebroken...or notifying another person in dog care that they haven't paid their bill in months and months, is understandable.

Calling you clients asshats because of who they vote for or because they are difficult to schedule or kind of jerks...not really justified.

I can't imagine talking about a client or customer unless someone else in dog care, either a coworker or someone who would be working with them at the same time asked about them, though.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 01-29-2013, 02:54 PM
Top Dog

You'd be in small company if you only hung out with people that didn't talk about another person training their dog in the dog world "

I can handle some, but not much. Getting to the point of degrading and stomping all over someone is childish. And really, I have met and had the displeasure of training with people that probably deserved to be berated for all sorts of reasons, but what good does it do?

most people that have half a brain can figure it out quickly.

I wouldn't think a professional should be airing any dirt to me, unless of course I was a good friend and I didn't like person they were talking about