Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-31-2013, 01:44 PM
Top Dog

Default Can you be in love with someone you've never met?

THIS IS NOT AT ALL RELATED TO ME so don't think "Oh God", LOL. It's just a random thing I have thought of.

In this day and age, with the Internet being such a prominent way of communication... We meet a lot of people online and sometimes even develop "more than friends" relationships with them. I have known several people who have married someone they met online. My question is, do you think that it is possible to truly be in love someone that you have never physically met? Only had extensive conversations with online?

I'm not sure what my opinion is on it, just figured I'd ask here. Lol.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 01-31-2013, 01:52 PM
Top Dog

Love is relative. Sure you can be in love with someone you've never met. People are "in love with" celebrities they've never spoken to.

Is it the same as falling in love with someone you spend time with? No. And I do I think it's really comparable at all? No. But lots of people do think it is, and they're the ones with those feelings, so that's really all the matters.

I think I was "in love" with someone online once. I still consider him my first love. I dunno, what constitutes being in love? He made me happy, but not only that, he gave me a lot of hope for the future and made me want to be a better person and do things and work hard so that I would be stable enough to one day have a relationship with him. I was largely concerned with his well-being, I could picture eventually marrying him, etc. We didn't date or anything, and he didn't know how I felt except that I had an "internet crush" on him. He always had girlfriends, too, but I assumed that we were "meant to be" and one day we'd end up meeting or in the same city and it would work out.

We lost touch after I got really involved with friends and work and life and he I guess moved in with a girlfriend...didn't talk for 4 years (We met online when I was 14, he was 18, and were "friends" for four years). He really randomly messaged me this past summer. I'm definitely over the crush or being in love with him or whatever, but I'm glad we talk again. I'd love to meet him eventually.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 01-31-2013, 02:29 PM
Top Dog

I think if you keep an eye on the "How did you meet your SO?" thread, this will answer your question.

I met my boyfriend online. We were 'together' a year before we actually met in person. I loved him before I met him and I loved him after I met him. If you really KNOW that person, it shouldn't matter. My mother and step-father met online as well.

It's up to the people involved, really. I know I can handle a long distance and 'never met in person' relationship. Do I think most people can? No. My friend, my dad, my grandmother, they could never do it. It takes a certain kind of person to open up so much to someone online and get to know them. It takes more to develop a romantic relationship with that person.

I was so worried about meeting Chris for the first time. I thought he would think I was fat and ugly or get annoyed with me. But.... he didn't. I'm the same person.

We did Skype so it's not like we didn't know what the other sounded or looked like. But this was after about 6 months of 'dating'.

It's really, really hard to do.

Australian Kelpie and Coursing Fiend~ 2
http://fuzzycircus.blogspot.com/

Passion Parties Consultant
https://erinnmitsch.yourpassionconsultant.com/index.asp
Old 01-31-2013, 02:41 PM
Club Terrible - President

Absolutely. I've been in love with my guy since I met him - I met him in person four years after meeting him online.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:46 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I absolutely believe some people can.

I think it is something like having online friends. Some people believe it's not possible... you aren't friends unless you've met. Others will happily call online friends, well, friends.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 01-31-2013, 03:28 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Simple answer....

Absolutely

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 01-31-2013, 06:57 PM
Top Dog

I guess my only real hang up on it is do you truly know someone you've never really met?

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 01-31-2013, 07:01 PM
SBT Lover!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara! View Post
I guess my only real hang up on it is do you truly know someone you've never really met?
Can you ever truly know anyone?
Old 01-31-2013, 07:02 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

A great many people don't "truly know" people they HAVE met, people they date, live with sleep, raise children with...

I agree that in person contact is no small part of knowing someone, but it's not the only part and I don't consider it the most important part.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:02 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara! View Post
You don't.

But do you always really know the people you DO meet?

Sure, you could fall in love with someone online and finding out they're lying about the way they look, or their job, or their gender.
But you can fall in love with someone in real life and be with them for 3, 5, 10 years...and find out they're lying about a criminal past, or their fidelity, or their morals. Is it so different?

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com