Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-28-2015, 09:09 PM
Bat Ears Only

Default Tell me about stretchy leashes

Since the rest of the scruffy foster pups have been adopted, I have this special snowflake again:

Rescue people have basically agreed that she can't see very well but openly stated that they don't intend to do anything about it. They also won't entertain the notion of putting her anxiety meds to see if it helps with her phobia of life in general. Meanwhile, she continues to develop completely random terrors of static inanimate objects that have remained unchanged for days before they suddenly started eating puppies. She seems to get over these within a few minutes or hours, at least.

Since her last stay with me, Xena is doing slightly better at walking on leash. She actually walks (slinks) and no longer melts into the floor as long as she is walking on a collar (not a harness) and a stretchy leash. I've been using my Ruffwear Roamer leash, but it's 7' long and gives her a lot of space to bolt into the street/fall down a storm drain/etc.

I looked at a short EzyDog stretchy leash at the store, but it was really firm and didn't have enough give to keep Xena unmelted. Has anyone else tried any other stretchy leashes or attachments? I saw one by Rok Straps recently that looked like it might be good.

Brisbane CGC: ACD/devil
Ru: just like a dog only smaller
Brisbane's Bark Blog
Old 04-28-2015, 11:12 PM
Top Dog

I personally hate stretchy leashes for dogs, although I have one for my cat. I don't know how big Xena is (she looks pretty small?), but it is probably 4 ft. long fully stretched and it stretches very easily. It's by no means flimsy, but it's pretty small so I wouldn't want to put it on a dog over maybe 20 pounds.

http://www.chewy.com/cat/petsafe-com...FQwIaQoddQ4AFQ

I've also used this one at the rescue before and it is stretched without a ton of pressure, but it doesn't stretch as easily as the kitty leash. And it comes in 4 ft. or 6 ft. lengths.

http://www.petsmart.com/dog/leashes/...6-catid-100084

ETA: Don't know if it matters to you, but neither of these are super high-quality, and probably won't last forever. Although I can imagine it probably doesn't matter too much since it's for a foster.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:16 AM
Bat Ears Only

Xena is just over 30 pounds, a little big for my Premier kitty leashes. Mine might be all stretched out though, I've realized that anything stretchy has an extremely finite lifespan. One of my original Ruffwear Roamer leashes started to lose its stretch and they replaced it, though.

I have seen quite a few of those Kong leashes at daycare, but not a single one was still stretchy. I'm not terribly worried about longevity since Xena is a foster, but given my own experiences I'm not certain either of those products would last as long as I need it to.

We're starting to wonder if Xena could have been deprived of oxygen during the birth process or something. The other possibility is that she is an evil genius hellbent on making me look like a monster for dragging a terrified puppy down the street (because she suddenly developed an uncontrollable phobia of a hedge she sees every day and I couldn't let her bolt into traffic...)

Brisbane CGC: ACD/devil
Ru: just like a dog only smaller
Brisbane's Bark Blog
Old 04-29-2015, 07:45 AM
Top Dog

I have a Rok strap. It is well made, but I rarely use it as I just don't find a stretchy leash helpful with a large dog. I typically use it when we're going for an off leash jog (in case we see someone and I need to leash her).

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017