Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-29-2013, 08:36 PM
Vizsla mom

The reason hooking your laptop up to a monitor doesn't count for photography? Because the reason you would never use a laptop for photo editing is color calibration. Tilt your laptop screen back& forth. See the difference in color& contrast?

Yeah. Any photographer worth their salt would never use a movable screen to edit photos. Your white balance could be WAY off but you'll never know. So, yes. A laptop is more than capable of running the actual software for photography, but when it comes right down to it, you wouldn't want to depend on it for that reason.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:53 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

I would personally love a desktop, i also love my laptop (i hate to hint that i would throw it by the wayside as soon as i got the chance because the poor dear has really been a good machine) but if I could of course I would get a desktop, I just got a little defensive when I thought there was some hatin' going on for laptops LOL.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:58 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
I would personally love a desktop, i also love my laptop (i hate to hint that i would throw it by the wayside as soon as i got the chance because the poor dear has really been a good machine) but if I could of course I would get a desktop, I just got a little defensive when I thought there was some hatin' going on for laptops LOL.
If I came off that way, I didn't mean to.

To me, it's just comparing a Boxer to a Border Collie. They are both a breed that starts with B and are both dogs.... that's about it. Some likes Boxers more, others prefer Border Collies. One isn't really better than the other.

Laptops and desktops are generally used for different things/reasons.
As a gamer, I prefer desktops. As a student, I prefer laptops.

Australian Kelpie and Coursing Fiend~ 2
http://fuzzycircus.blogspot.com/

Passion Parties Consultant
https://erinnmitsch.yourpassionconsultant.com/index.asp
Old 01-29-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airn View Post
If I came off that way, I didn't mean to.

To me, it's just comparing a Boxer to a Border Collie. They are both a breed that starts with B and are both dogs.... that's about it. Some likes Boxers more, others prefer Border Collies. One isn't really better than the other.

Laptops and desktops are generally used for different things/reasons.
As a gamer, I prefer desktops. As a student, I prefer laptops.
Naw, its cool. I understand everyone needs a different machine based on their individual needs

Old 01-29-2013, 10:36 PM
Top Dog

Agree with yv0nne on all counts. I currently have 2 laptops and very recently got a desktop from a friend. I am never going back because in my opinion, laptops suck

My family was planning to purchase a MacBook Air for me and I wound up telling them not to bother, because all I need is my desktop computer and 23" HD (1080) monitor. The laptops are convenient, yes, but it doesn't accomplish anything for me that Dropbox, a USB, or my phone can't. Sometimes I will bring one along to take notes in class, but most of my professors do not allow laptops or tablets.

I don't even want to look back at the pictures I had edited on my laptop. My laptop screen can't compare to a good, calibrated monitor.

No one is saying that it's ridiculous to have a laptop, I have two and there are a lot of benefits to a laptop that a desktop cannot give you. But I don't need those benefits and they are small in comparison to the benefits of a desktop and a good monitor. Especially if you are into photography and photo/video editing.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:21 PM

this is my first laptop & i love, Mom has a sony & she is having probs with it overheating & doing something to the circutry or something (dont know for sure, hardware aint my deal)

my toshieba on the other hand never runs not, ever, even in a warm room it stays cool.