Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 12-15-2012, 02:15 PM
Kotah BEAR

Default Tell us about your job!

I don't know if we have had a thread like this in a while and with everyone getting new jobs lately, I figured I'd start a thread.

Company's Name
Your position
Your duty/s
Your co-workers

Pros
Cons

Favorite thing about your job

Anything else you want to discuss about it

GO!
Old 12-15-2012, 02:37 PM
Sit! Good dog.

I'm a social worker. I work with children in foster care. I will see cases through court, write assessments on parents and make decisions about whether children should return home or not. I support kids in care, visit them in their placements, chair meetings with other professionals (schools, health, whoever), sort out contact with parents or family. Anything that needs arranging I sort.

I enjoy it I have worked in child protection, and its very stressful. I cover a rural area now so its generally less stressful all round. I like that I'm often out and about, and I enjoy writing thorough and fair assessments, and know I've covered all bases. I like building up good working relationships with parents, professionals and of course kids. You get to ask questions no one would ever dare, and have to stick to your guns to get the right outcome for the kids. They need someone to fight for them. Even if you have to make decisions they don't like or understand sometimes....

Cons. Most people hate us! It can be intense.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 12-15-2012, 02:44 PM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

Company's Name
Zito Co.LLC

Your position
Head Dispatcher
Your duty/s
I cordinate barge placement on various docks and wharfs along the Lower Mississippi river in the Port of New Orleans.
Your co-workers
are grown men who act like kindergartners and hate to take direction from women. i work in a mans world . Good guys but can be tiring and I have to get pushy sometimes. I can sling the Fbomb faster than they can so I win! lol

Pros
It is something new a diffrent everyday. Right now we are doing a special project with the NFL and the SuperBowl. We also do a lot of work for the Corp of Engineers.
Cons
Working if your scheduled. If I am not in hospital I have to be here, sick or not.
Favorite thing about your job
Everything , i love it and its challenges.

The Barge business is one of the least understood by outside people. i love it and hope to never have to do anything else.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:44 PM
Kotah BEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
I'm a social worker. I work with children in foster care. I will see cases through court, write assessments on parents and make decisions about whether children should return home or not. I support kids in care, visit them in their placements, chair meetings with other professionals (schools, health, whoever), sort out contact with parents or family. Anything that needs arranging I sort.

I enjoy it I have worked in child protection, and its very stressful. I cover a rural area now so its generally less stressful all round. I like that I'm often out and about, and I enjoy writing thorough and fair assessments, and know I've covered all bases. I like building up good working relationships with parents, professionals and of course kids. You get to ask questions no one would ever dare, and have to stick to your guns to get the right outcome for the kids. They need someone to fight for them. Even if you have to make decisions they don't like or understand sometimes....

Cons. Most people hate us! It can be intense.

I have always admired social workers. Yall go through a lot and deal with so much. I personally could not be a SW because if I saw a kid going through hell or being abused, I'd end up taking him/her home lol
Old 12-15-2012, 02:48 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Company's Name -- Royal Canadian Legion - Branch 480, Westboro Division
Your position -- bartender
Your duty/s -- ....serve drinks? Balance cash, do daily deposits, inventory, sell Nevada tickets
Your co-workers -- don't know how to do their job, for the most part

Pros -- Uh..... free drinks?
Cons -- Oh god, don't get me started. Mostly, the coworkers inability to do their job.

Favorite thing about your job -- The customers. Such awesome stories, as we are a company for veterans.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 12-15-2012, 02:50 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotah View Post
I have always admired social workers. Yall go through a lot and deal with so much. I personally could not be a SW because if I saw a kid going through hell or being abused, I'd end up taking him/her home lol
We become quite desensitized to things... Drug abuse, neglect, emotional abuse etc are our day to day bread and butter. I try and stay open minded and unbiased, but its hard.

Oh, I also see children through to being adopted. That's a mixed bag of emotions. Happy sad. Parents lose their rights. No matter how awful they are, it still feels bad. Happy when the kids are placed in loving homes though.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 12-15-2012, 03:02 PM
Show Dog

Company name - I won't give that out, but its a national insurance company.
Position - Technical name...Senior Business Claims Analyst
Duties - I review our Medicare and provider dispute cases before they are sent to the independent review entity.
My coworkers - are scattered across the country and I've only met one of them face I face. They make me laugh and make the day go by quicker.

Pros - well the first time I went to school I was going to be a writer, second time an English teacher...now I get to edit things for grammar and boost cases up when the structure is weak. It's the ultimate job for me with a healthcare twist.
Cons - I'm now reviewing my old coworkers things and its building a rift between myself and them. It's hard for them to distinguish between me (and the person they have come to know) and my new job.

Favorite thing - Don't have one yet. Just started...but if I have to put something - it's that I'm no longer being micro managed, I can work 45 - 50 hours a week (instead of 50+) and that I will eventually get to work at home.

The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too." - Samuel Butler
Old 12-15-2012, 03:03 PM
Kotah BEAR

Company's Name: Breier Barrel Horses

Your position: Farm Hand

Your duty/s: Groom horses, feed horses (2x/day), hay & water horses, pick/strip stalls, clean pastures & water troffs, use the tractor and ranger for odd and end duties, take care of the 7 barn cats, and let the boss' 7 dogs out for potty breaks and groom them, and do everything else but train barrel horses.

Your co-workers: Aside from me, my boss is the only one that works with me. He does all the barrel horse training, and I do everything else.

Pros: Pretty much everything.
Cons: I HATE cleaning water troffs lol Oh and the cow because he charged me a few days ago and caused me to Chuck Norris over the fence and I rolled my ankle twice. He really does not like me, I feel the same about him lol.

Favorite thing about your job: The connection I get with the horses and also the friendships I see among horses.

Anything else you want to discuss about it: Lets see we have 38 horses, I believe.
3 studs - Gold Boy, Buck (he is CRAZY), and Mister
8 babies - Smash (my fav.), Jagger, Spiderman, Belle, Flicka, and I don't know the others names right now
8 geldings - Hot Shot, Bully, Wrangler, Tahoe, Rufus, Joey, Freckles, & Cruise.
19 mares - Etta, Draft, Candy, Martha (she is going to her new home today), Big Time, Sassy, Fancy, Chicka (dad's cow horse), Morgana, Peaches, Sunshine, Junette, Zen (Chicka's BFF), Jalo, Cheyenne, Sally (wild mustang), Angel, Sarah (a VERY pregnant mare. She isn't due until sometime in the first week of Feb. but I believe she will have her baby in the next 3 weeks), & Elite.
1 donkey - Jackson
1 very large male dairy cow - Bully
7 barn cats - Don't know there actual names but 2 stay at the main barn and I call them Mousey and Mufasa & both are short hair black/white, and 5 stay at the mare barn and there are 3 long hair black/whites, one long hair grey/white, and one short hair grey white.
7 dogs - a pit/mastiff mixed named Magnum, a Shiz Tzu named Samsung (only one that is not a rescue), a little bouncy thing named Gizmo, a pointer mix named Roxy, a BC mix named Bouncer (my favorite), a lab mix named Sheena, and a possible pointer mix named Lacie.

I believe that's it lol
Old 12-15-2012, 04:16 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Company's Name: Kiddie Kollege
Your position: Teachers Assistant
Your duty/s: I help out with everything. The teacher refers to me as co teacher and not assistant because other than make the lesson plans I do everything she does for the most part. We get the kids in in the morning and have small motor skill activities for them to do, then we take them for a potty break, we come back and they do circle time (read books, prayer time, pledge of allegience, calendar, weather, etc, etc) during that time I mostly get snack ready and on the tables. next, snack time and then they have free play time. We put out certain centers they can play in rather than just a free for all. it keeps things a little more manageable and it keeps from the toys getting boring or stale. During free play time we call over a few students at a time to do their craft (many of the kids are 3 and this is their first experience with structured things so it requires help and supervision from us). POtty time again, circle time for show and tell and then we head to kids town for physical activity. then they go home, we clean up, prepare for the next class and if there is anything to cut out or get ready I usually take that home with me.

Your co-workers- there is pretty much just myself and the teacher and then the boss lady but she's mostly in the office. They are both great. The teacher and I have a really good working relationship. We work well together and get along quite well. Our boss is AMAZING. She is the greatest person to work for. She sings our praises all the time, leaves us little pressies with our pay checks from time to time(candy bars, gift cards to McDonalds... just nice little gestures) and she is just genuinely the sweetest, kindest woman.

Pros: I get to play with kids for four hours twice a week, Hannah gets to come with me for FREE, I get paid, I enjoy it and the kids are sweet and cute and the parents appreciate us.

Cons: come full moon time... it can get CRAZY LOL. that's really the only con. Plus that one time I had to cut out a bunch of cat shapes in the center of the paper. that was pretty brutal HAHA

Favorite thing about your job: My most FAVORITE thing about my job is that Hannah gets to come along with me. I don't have anyone to take her during that time so if bringing her along wasn't a possibility then I wouldn't have the job at all

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 12-15-2012, 04:58 PM
Top Dog

Company's Name: A very large department/everything store, it's the only one, small business
Your position: Assistant Manager of the Pet Department, Aquatics Manager
Your duty/s: Running pet store retail..everything to do with ordering fish and live animals, merchandising, stocking, paperwork, and so forth
Your co-workers: Definitely have their quirks and days I get really frustrated by lack of initiative...but they are mostly pretty good.

Pros..Eh, I get to do what I want, fix things how I want, order what I want for the most part. I get to travel to buying shows and I usually have fun at the job.
Cons.. Doesn't pay well, and well it's retail...heavy lifting and rude customers

Favorite thing about your job: The freedom to do what I want