Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 01-23-2013, 06:09 PM
Top Dog

Default Grains

I feel kind of dumb asking this but are oatmeal, whole barley, whole brown rice, rice bran and flaxseed considered grains?

Also, I suppose a dog that is allergic to chicken would be allergic to chicken fat?
Old 01-23-2013, 09:38 PM
Top Dog

I think everything except flaxseed is a grain. And I actually think many dogs with chicken allergies CAN eat chicken fat, but I'm sure that doesnt apply to all dogs.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 01-23-2013, 09:40 PM
Top Dog

Just kidding, flaxseed is a grain.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 01-23-2013, 09:41 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Chicken fat rarely causes problems with dogs, even those with allergies to chicken.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 01-24-2013, 10:11 AM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Chicken fat rarely causes problems with dogs, even those with allergies to chicken.
^ This. The two are entirely different. Chicken liver usually poses no problem, either. It's the muscle meat to avoid.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 01-24-2013, 12:21 PM
Top Dog

I think it depends on what you are talking about. A real allergy, where the dog reacts to the meat no matter how it is processed or cooked....or just a reaction to overly processed foods. Zane can have raw chicken just fine, but he can't have chicken meat, fat, or cartilage in poor-quality processed foods. In higher quality processed kibble, he doesn't react as strongly. So it isn't like he is allergic to the chicken itself. He reacts the same way to canned/processed green beans as opposed to raw/frozen green beans.

Some dogs can be allergic to the chicken itself though, and it seems to be to the meat only, like Jess and Allie said (although I personally wouldn't feed a food that had some parts of chicken and not others...I wouldn't be convinced it was completely free of an allergen, I guess).

And yah....they are all grains.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:59 AM
Love my pets

My friend's dog can't eat chicken in kibble, but can eat fresh chicken. Not sure about the chicken fat; I think it depends on each dog's sensitivity.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:33 AM
Top Dog

He can't have chicken in kibble nor raw chicken.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:49 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
I think it depends on what you are talking about. A real allergy, where the dog reacts to the meat no matter how it is processed or cooked....or just a reaction to overly processed foods. Zane can have raw chicken just fine, but he can't have chicken meat, fat, or cartilage in poor-quality processed foods. In higher quality processed kibble, he doesn't react as strongly. So it isn't like he is allergic to the chicken itself. He reacts the same way to canned/processed green beans as opposed to raw/frozen green beans.

Some dogs can be allergic to the chicken itself though, and it seems to be to the meat only, like Jess and Allie said (although I personally wouldn't feed a food that had some parts of chicken and not others...I wouldn't be convinced it was completely free of an allergen, I guess).

And yah....they are all grains.
This is how Frag is as well... anything chicken or grain related in kibble he will react to, but healthy raw chicken he doesn't react to at all.