Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-02-2013, 10:21 AM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Default Drivers test

I'm taking my drivers test tomorrow. I'm so nervous!! What should I expect?What kinds of things will they ask me? I'm freaking out a little bit..lol!

Chloe - 9 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 3 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 04-02-2013, 10:25 AM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Dixie's_Mom~ View Post
I'm taking my drivers test tomorrow. I'm so nervous!! What should I expect?What kinds of things will they ask me? I'm freaking out a little bit..lol!
are you doing the written or the actual road test?

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 04-02-2013, 10:27 AM
Top Dog

Mine was simple - just a little tour around the area by the testing center. One parallel parking, one hill start, one back-in turn around. My only blip was forgetting to put the new turn signal on after the turn around.

Don't stress - if it doesn't happen, you can re take it later.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:31 AM
Top Dog

I went around a sub division. No parallel parking, fancy turns, backing up... any of that. Just a little drive around the block, less then 10 minutes. Stop completely for stop signs and just calm down.
Also, read the person who's giving you the test. I would say that you shouldn't really chit chat with them, unless they seem to like it. Mine was completely silent and generally it's hard to concentrate while rambling on. Just go through with the test, be deliberate and polite.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:32 AM
I'd rather be at Disney

My road test was about 3 minutes long lol. He had me operate all the lights and blinkers before he got in and then I had to pass the parallel parking first (in my mini van haha) and then we drove around the block and that was it.

One thing I was very mindful of during the test (not so much in real life lol) is when coming to a stop sign... STOP right at the sign and then slowly move out to where you can see to make the turn, don't go up to the edge where you can see and stop there.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 04-02-2013, 10:49 AM
orange iguanas.

If it's just the road test they probably won't really ask anything. Before we started driving they just made sure I knew how to operate my car lol - headlights, wipers, hazards, etc.

Mine was on a course. I don't know if that makes it easier or more difficult since it's just set up the way they want it. But it was simple. Drive around. Don't hit people. Stop at stop signs and red lights. Make a couple turns. Change lanes. I had to do the 90 degree back in and parallel park, both of which I sucked at (and probably still do lol haven't done either of them since!) but I still passed.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 04-02-2013, 10:51 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
One thing I was very mindful of during the test (not so much in real life lol) is when coming to a stop sign... STOP right at the sign and then slowly move out to where you can see to make the turn, don't go up to the edge where you can see and stop there.
Not always true We had one stop sign that was beyond the pedestrian crosswalk. Every stop sign in town was placed as it should have been, before the walk, except for one by the post office, and they always took people to that one for their test So we had to stop before the walk, then pull up to the sign and stop again.

I got to take my test after a nice snowstorm, had to park on a hill, got stuck for a bit because of the ice and snow on the hill. Thankfully no curb, I put it in 4 wheel and was able to make it to the grass and gravel and get up the hill. Not a chance in hell I would have stopped there on my own, but we had one tester that was considered the hard one and that's who I got. He failed everyone, or so we though when we were 16 So when he said stop, I stopped.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:02 AM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
Not always true We had one stop sign that was beyond the pedestrian crosswalk. Every stop sign in town was placed as it should have been, before the walk, except for one by the post office, and they always took people to that one for their test So we had to stop before the walk, then pull up to the sign and stop again.

What I meant was don't go beyond the stop sign to where you can see the oncoming traffic and stop there. Lancaster is notorious for "blind turns" lol you have to practically BE in the lane to see if there is any traffic there.

G.K. Chesterton

Old 04-02-2013, 11:06 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
What I meant was don't go beyond the stop sign to where you can see the oncoming traffic and stop there. Lancaster is notorious for "blind turns" lol you have to practically BE in the lane to see if there is any traffic there.
I know, was just pointing out a weird traffic scenario I haven't seen anywhere else, but you must stop before the crosswalk if it is encountered before the stop sign.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:11 AM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
I know, was just pointing out a weird traffic scenario I haven't seen anywhere else, but you must stop before the crosswalk if it is encountered before the stop sign.
well that's definitely one I wouldn't have thought of lol. We have a lot of weird traffic scenarios here but I don't think that is one of them. We have a lot of of "STOP unless turning right" and whenever my dad visits he thinks I'm running random stop signs lol.

G.K. Chesterton