Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-22-2013, 11:06 PM
Behavior Nerd

Default I need chaz vibes for horses...

My family owned two horses while I was a teenager and in college. A few years back, my mom rehomed them to a friend, let's call him J, because she was having trouble keeping up with their care during some health issues she was having. J was a big horse person and she knew he'd be a great home.

Well, J died recently after a long illness. And left no will. Initially, we thought the horses would stay with the family who had been boarding them for J. This would've been perfect because 1. the horses know them, 2. the people are amazing, and 3. one of the horses lost his eye sight while there (age related, not injury) and knows the pasture/barn well.

I just found out today that the horses are going to probate court with the rest of J's things. There is a distinct risk that they could end up with someone who doesn't understand all the care older horses will need, or, even worse, they could be sold to add money to the estate. At AUCTION.

I'm soooooo worried. And this was so preventable if J had just had a %^&*ing will. Can I have vibes that J's family will somehow realize how ideal it would be for them to stay where they are instead of being uprooted?

Old 01-22-2013, 11:10 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

That's awful
Sending all the vibes we have to you and those horses.

(((((HUGS)))))

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:16 PM
Behavior Nerd

Thanks! I really appreciate the vibes!

Luckily my mom is in the loop with the family so she will do what she can. If her lawyer friend says it might be useful, she'll be writing directly to the judge to let them know the ins and outs and I told her I'd find a vet behaviorist versed in horses to offer a statement on how awful it would be on the blind horse to move, but I just feel so helpless.

If it comes down to it, you can be sure I'll find a way to make sure the horses don't get sold to some horrid person at auction, even if it means driving up there myself and spending emergency fund money.

I could just cry right now. I found out about this turn of events this afternoon, but it's just hitting me now.

eta: Photos of the boys when they still belonged to my mom.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:14 AM
Original Twin

You've got all the vibes I have.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:27 AM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Vibes, vibes, vibes! Hopefully the judge knows something about horses and has their best interest at heart.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
Old 01-23-2013, 08:05 AM
Top Dog

((((hugs)))) and *****vibes*****. That's good that your mom is in communication with the family - I hope they can end up keeping them.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 01-23-2013, 12:56 PM
Bite me.

Sending vibes! Hope they decide to do the right thing.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:06 PM
Top Dog

Sending vibes that everything works out ok!
Old 01-23-2013, 07:04 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
My family owned two horses while I was a teenager and in college. A few years back, my mom rehomed them to a friend, let's call him J, because she was having trouble keeping up with their care during some health issues she was having. J was a big horse person and she knew he'd be a great home.

Well, J died recently after a long illness. And left no will. Initially, we thought the horses would stay with the family who had been boarding them for J. This would've been perfect because 1. the horses know them, 2. the people are amazing, and 3. one of the horses lost his eye sight while there (age related, not injury) and knows the pasture/barn well.

I just found out today that the horses are going to probate court with the rest of J's things. There is a distinct risk that they could end up with someone who doesn't understand all the care older horses will need, or, even worse, they could be sold to add money to the estate. At AUCTION.

I'm soooooo worried. And this was so preventable if J had just had a %^&*ing will. Can I have vibes that J's family will somehow realize how ideal it would be for them to stay where they are instead of being uprooted?
OMG How aweful Is there any way you can get the horses back? I would take them if I was closer & had the funds, but I can barely afford the few I have right now.

Sending Horsey vibes & ACD good vibe "Bentley's" your way in hopes for a good outcome
Old 01-23-2013, 07:27 PM
Behavior Nerd

Because ownership was legally transferred, my mom has no legal claim to them. Nothing will be done with them until the judge rules at this point.

If they somehow go to auction I know that my mom and I will get with the people who currently are caring for them, who we both want to keep them, and will find a way to buy them if needed.

I just hope it doesn't come to that...