Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-22-2013, 04:07 PM
Aware

Okay! I'll post more in a bit, I'm on an xbox.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:11 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julee View Post
Okay! I'll post more in a bit, I'm on an xbox.
You can post from an Xbox? I had no idea lol
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:16 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airn View Post
I'm interested in the topic mainly because so many people have SD's or dogs training to be SDs. Also as was mentioned 'therapy dogs', anything like that.

It's not really that I'm looking to know ALL about them, I was curious about the people who are involved with them on Chaz. I wasn't specific enough, go figure

It IS interesting, but I want to know more about YOUR SD. How long have you had it, does it help you? What are the pros and cons of having a SD (in a community sense. Not "Well, obviously it helps me." but more is it worth it?)

Why all the problems with 'legit' SDs? Why aren't there (many) regulations and why would you or wouldn't you want there to be?

You know, all the stuff I can't read on Wikipedia
There are in Canada. The US is much more lax than here.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 01-22-2013, 04:22 PM
Aware

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
You can post from an Xbox? I had no idea lol
Internet Explorer app! PITA for long posts, but I like it for browsing.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:36 PM
SBT Lover!!

There are rules and regulations, but not many because some rules would make it difficult for people with certain kinds of disabilities to follow them. You have to have a documented/diagnosed disability and your dog has to be task trained to help mitigate the symptoms associated with the disability. A great resource, in addition to the two already linked is: http://www.servicedogcentral.org/content/

Now for the more personal information that you requested. My Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Saxon, is my Service Dog in Training (SDiT). I am self training him with the help of a local trainer. My disabilities are Anxiety, Depression and a few other mental health related problems. Among other things, Saxon is being trained to help me during panic attacks and redirect some of my self destructive compulsions. He is also being trained to adhere to the Delta Society's minimum standards for service dogs: http://www.petpartners.org/document.doc?id=373 These are not required by law (obviously), but are suggestions for what a dog should be able to do in order to safely be out in public.

Here is a picture of Saxon and I doing some public access training in IKEA:

At the DMV:

And, at the very busy fair:

It's a lot of work, but it will be well worth it when he is done with training and starts to make my life just a little bit simpler.

P.S. Apparently you can't write out numbers and must use the numerals for the new human verification.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:41 PM
Top Dog

The harness thread went way OT so I'll move my post here.

I have legitimately wanted to get Jackson declared as an ESD for a while now, but haven't yet. I've struggled with on-and-off anxiety issues (nothing major) since my brother died in 2006, and after I got Jackson, I became so much more comfortable. He's helped me meet so many people and I much prefer being out and about when I can have him with me. It wouldn't be because I want to "sneak" him into to places that he's not allowed (I could care less - he comes so many places with me already anyway, without having any kind of 'title' or certification). But it would be a nice extra thing to have for emergency purposes. He's obviously not a service dog, but he's definitely emotionally supportive for me. He's also extremely well behaved in public. Never causes any trouble whatsoever.

So anyway, I've considered it, but I kind of want to get him his CGC first (you don't need this, I just want it for myself). I also don't see a psychiatrist or anything (always dealt with my issues in other ways), so don't know how I'd even go about getting the doctor's note.

Anyone have an ESA?

Brit & Jackson

Old 01-22-2013, 05:44 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
The harness thread went way OT so I'll move my post here.

I have legitimately wanted to get Jackson declared as an ESD for a while now, but haven't yet. I've struggled with on-and-off anxiety issues (nothing major) since my brother died in 2006, and after I got Jackson, I became so much more comfortable. He's helped me meet so many people and I much prefer being out and about when I can have him with me. It wouldn't be because I want to "sneak" him into to places that he's not allowed (I could care less - he comes so many places with me already anyway, without having any kind of 'title' or certification). But it would be a nice extra thing to have for emergency purposes. He's obviously not a service dog, but he's definitely emotionally supportive for me. He's also extremely well behaved in public. Never causes any trouble whatsoever.

So anyway, I've considered it, but I kind of want to get him his CGC first (you don't need this, I just want it for myself). I also don't see a psychiatrist or anything (always dealt with my issues in other ways), so don't know how I'd even go about getting the doctor's note.

Anyone have an ESA?
Well go check the harness thread, because I'm not retyping out my reply on my phone. LOL

Long story short, depending what you mean by emergencies, i think there are no public access rights for ESAs, so it wouldn't help.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 01-22-2013, 05:47 PM
Glutton for Crazy

What Jess said.

ESA were once a grey area subject but have since been clarified as not SD and thus not afforded access rights in the same capacity.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:48 PM
SBT Lover!!

Though he is still in training to be a SD, Saxon could be considered an ESA. In order to have an ESA or SD you have to have a documented disability. According to the ADA a disability is a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities. If your anxiety is nothing major, it wouldn't be considered disability.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:50 PM
SBT Lover!!

I didn't notice the first time that you said you'd want to take him places as an ESA. You can't do that. ESAs have no public access rights. The site I linked above, Service Dog Central, has information about ESAs, as well. I would check it out for more information.