Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-20-2013, 06:59 PM
Top Dog

Default Is soap necessary?

This thread was inspired by the shampoo thread going on

So, is it necessary to use soap when bathing? Except for when I wash my hands and clean my face, I don't use soap. I don't remember when I stopped, but it was when I was a pretty young kid, and by the time I got older and realized how "wrong" it was not to, I just didn't see a need to start.

I have specifically asked my (brutally honest) family and friends to smell me to make sure I don't stink as a result, and no one has ever complained. My skin is super super soft too; people who touch me are always shocked and asking what soap I use. The few times I have used soap, my skin got dry and rough for a few days/weeks after, and I always go back to no soap, because I love my skin and I don't want to mess it up.

Does anyone know anything more about it? I know a lot of people are thinking I am gross now, haha.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:06 PM
Bored Now.

I'm just going to go totally TMI here and ask how you keep your feet, armpits, vulva, and butt clean. Those are the only places I use soap on daily. I can't imagine how else I would keep them clean.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:21 PM
Resident fainting goat

IMO soap is as necessary as shampoo is (except when it comes to places that aren't erm...generally sanitary. Think, nether regions, pits, butt etc..)

As in, most of your body has natural oils, soap strips your body clean of said oil and leaves a pretty smell. You put on lotion to make up for this oil and keep your skin moisturized.. basically. This goes for MOST of your body (other than the parts that secrete or sit in sweat all day or are just gross)

Now, there are times IMO where you need shampoo/soap on most of your skin (when your body needs to be stripped totally of grossness) think of things like.. rolling in muck, getting sprayed by a skunk, after camping, after a party where your hair smells like cigaretts and vomit.. that kind of thing. It's easier to strip your body clean of that and let your body recover than to leave it.

Frankly, I like body wash/soap. I like that squeaky clean feeling and like taking care of my skin with lotions and LOVE the smell of lotions and all that stuff. Is it the best for my skin? Might not be.. but hey, it looks good and is healthy so who cares?

I am weird about smell. I know without soap/shampoo I don't smell BAD.. but it bothers me to not smell like, flowers lol
Old 01-20-2013, 07:31 PM
Top Dog

When I was a kid and had to use Mom's generic soap..I was pretty meh about it. I preferred liquid soaps with different smells. When I was able to buy my own products, I have found soaps that I really love and get excited to use them. I like smelling like something, haha. I really love lush soaps and have also bought handmade soaps from random stores. I don't like how 'Dove' or 'Irish Springs' makes my skin feel.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:00 PM
Taxiderpy

Random trivia. Vitamin D is synthesized in the cholesterol in your skin. It takes 48 hours for you body to absorb it. If you wash the sun exposed areas with soap it washes off the vitamin D before you can use it. So if you use soap regularly on your arms and stuff, you should also take a supplement.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:26 PM
Top Dog

I only use it on the parts mentioned, as well, it's dry up here and if you use it everywhere you get dry flaky skin.

And I do take vitamin d, right now we have less then 8 hours a day of sun light, and our days are getting longer, lol, vitamin d is necessary.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:40 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
I'm just going to go totally TMI here and ask how you keep your feet, armpits, vulva, and butt clean. Those are the only places I use soap on daily. I can't imagine how else I would keep them clean.
This is what I was thinking! LOL... but yeah, same, I HAVE to have soap for uhm, certain parts. If I don't, I feel super dirty, even if I use body wash. I still need the soap to feel extra clean. But I use body wash all over as well.

Brit & Jackson

Old 01-20-2013, 11:46 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I use soap on at least the sweaty bits every day. I only soap everything down (I use lilac homemade soap, so yummy smelling!) after I work out. Which recently has been most days (yay!), but I don't smell if I don't soap.

I also take lotion baths after every single shower because it is so beyond dry here. Literally LOTION ALL THE THINGS! lol In the summer I don't lotion at all, and my skin doesn't seem dry despite using soap. It's also more humid than hades here though.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:49 PM
Top Dog

Hehe I shower after I bath, now I soak in the tub for three hours generally, because all I can think off is people soup if I don't lol.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:52 PM
Top Dog

I have issues finding a soap or body wash that actually makes me smell nice later. I always get out smelling neutral.. I want to smell like pomegranates, dang it! That's why I paid $8 for this bar of soap... Lol.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb