Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 01-23-2013, 03:22 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittledoo View Post
Joey... if anyone wants a good challenge I'll ship him your way. He just kept spinning circles next to the bowl and when I wouldn't give him a treat he would lie down and just stare at me. I tried to shuffle the bowl around to get him to look at it and nope. This went on for almost 10 minutes of him getting up and spinning and then lying down and staring at me. I even tried to hold the bowl up to see if he would even look at it if was not on the ground. Nope. I think I may need some advice when it comes to trying this trick out with him. helpppp
Does he know touch? Whenever Zander is stuck on something, I cue "touch" and reward from there. It's a decent starting point.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:58 PM
Top Dog

What great videos so far!!! I love Froman's little fluffy booty!
Old 01-23-2013, 08:03 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
ACK!!!!!

Joey... if anyone wants a good challenge I'll ship him your way. He just kept spinning circles next to the bowl and when I wouldn't give him a treat he would lie down and just stare at me. I tried to shuffle the bowl around to get him to look at it and nope. This went on for almost 10 minutes of him getting up and spinning and then lying down and staring at me. I even tried to hold the bowl up to see if he would even look at it if was not on the ground. Nope. I think I may need some advice when it comes to trying this trick out with him. helpppp
What about throwing a treat over the bowl, then when he comes back from getting the treat click as soon as he turns toward the bowl and give another treat. Then you will be forcing movement toward the bowl.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:12 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
I could not get Maisy past the "nose touch the bowl" step... the boys just naturally started pawing at it but stuff like that doesn't seem to occur to her. So I ended up kind of baiting her to shake to get her paw to touch the bowl, thusly:

Old 01-23-2013, 08:58 PM
such sights to show you

The boys are catching on. Soon we can actually... pivot.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:20 PM
Top Dog

Quick suggestion, I haven't gotten to watch all the videos yet, but it's a common thing that people don't think about. Pay attention to your reward placement. If you are always rewarding with your dog's head facing you, that's where they will want to be. So if you are trying for an independent pivot where the dog has to turn away from you for half of the circle, reward with their head turned away from you. Hope that makes sense!
Old 01-24-2013, 09:56 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

This is mostly about Pepper, who was so busy frantically scratching at the perch (apparently a family trait AUGGIE) she actually RIPPED OFF the pad I glued to it so it wouldn't be slippery. This is why Payton keeps sliding off later in the video, because it's really slick and he's used to having that pad on top for traction.

I gave Auggie a try but he is apparently completely unable to stand still and likes to throw the perch around. Sigh...

You should all know the reason Payton is wearing puppy pajamies is because he quiets down for like two minutes when I put them on him. And it had this unexpected bonus of making him look like he's in the circus which is so appropriate for this trick.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 01-24-2013, 10:15 PM
Top Dog

This is a fun type of thread!

This is Frag two years ago... he's gotten a little better since then (and I've lost some weight in my butt I think. ) and we use a real bowl now instead of roommate's coke case.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:24 PM
such sights to show you

I just could NOT get Maisy to stand on the perch, so after a very helpful suggestion I tried changing the perch. First I tried a book and it was still a no-go, then I folded up a rug since she has done "go to your mat" before... and it really, really helped. I'm very proud of her!

Pip is juuuuust starting to understand that now that he'll stand on the perch, moving his rear is the actual point of all of this.

And Squash is totally getting it at this point... although to be fair he already had a good pivot, I just didn't teach it using a perch originally.

ETA: I feel like such a post ***** in this thread, but I've had quite a bit of free time this week to work with them on this.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:39 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

So this week Megan dropped some stuff off for us to hold until she moves in. This included a hat box, perfect for pivot work Also Teacher Megan helped us with reward placement and we saw better results! Yay!

Also, ignore our ramblings on, the word pen!s is said, so NSFW? lol Also the noise in the background is Megan yelling at her deaf dog. nbd.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.