Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-21-2013, 04:11 PM
Top Dog

I dremel once or twice a week.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 01-21-2013, 04:18 PM
Top Dog

Elsie's front nails have gotten crazy, so we're doing nails every day.

Bad me.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:20 PM
Top Dog

I dremel once every 2-3 weeks
Old 01-21-2013, 04:20 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Bodhi, never. Never needed to, and she would never let me.

Fred's are dremeled every few weeks, maybe every 3. It takes two people, one to dremel and one to shovel in peanut butter!

How people do them multiple times a week is baffling! Do your dogs have any nail left??
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 01-21-2013, 04:25 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Bodhi, never. Never needed to, and she would never let me.

Fred's are dremeled every few weeks, maybe every 3. It takes two people, one to dremel and one to shovel in peanut butter!

How people do them multiple times a week is baffling! Do your dogs have any nail left??
I've quicked Elsie before, so I just take off a teeny bit at a time.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:45 PM
Top Dog

Recently we don't even do them lol. I used to dremel once in a while but now just by running in a tennis court for about 10 min every week or two keeps them pretty short and trimmed.

The tennis court ground is rough and acts like sand paper I guess.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:04 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Every two weeks or so, kind of 'as needed'. When I hear them tick its time to clip!
In the spring/summer its less because we walk/run more

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 01-21-2013, 09:34 PM
& the Muttly Crew

I nip off the ends every Sunday night, so once a week. Occasionally I'll skip a week if we have agility on dirt or turf the following weekend as I like to leave a little extra nail for them to grab the surface.

Kim has awful nails. No matter how often I do them they always look long.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 01-21-2013, 10:35 PM
Top Dog

Quote:

Keep in mind that some dogs' nails grow a lot faster than others. If I left the Dobermans for 10+ days, they'd have talons. Their nails grow super fast. :-)

If I could, I'd make them Sizzledog short (whose dogs always have my idea of perfect nails), which is nearly what they were when I did them every few days/multiple times a week. But now that I only do them once a week, the Dobes' nails still tap a bit on the floor by the next day or so. Not a constant "click, click, click", but not totally silent either.

Journey is one of those dogs that I could probably get away with only doing every couple of weeks or so. So far her nails just seem to stay nice and short for a while. But I take the edges off when I do everyone else's. Helps her get used to it and guarantees they don't get too long.

Dance's don't grow as quickly as the Dobermans, but they grow faster than Journey's. Her nails start to click at about day 4 or 5 after dremeling them.

I used to groom this other Toller who only got her nails done like 3 or 4 times a year, and I could take them right back. Her quicks just never grew. I was jealous of her haha. I wish my dogs had such easy care nails.

I'd share photo examples of their once weekly vs. two or three times weekly nails, but I don't seem to have any that show them very well unfortunately. I do try to keep them fairly short, though. Dance and Journey's are my ideal. Maybe one day I'll try getting the Dobermans' back to that point too, but it seems like a lot of effort for something that didn't seem to last, and it's not like they're really long. Just longer than my preference. But anyway, yes, they definitely do still have nail when done that often. Maybe not a lot, but enough to look pretty, be silent, and still be tractionally functional.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 01-22-2013, 07:55 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post

I'd love to try dremeling them, but I don't won't to spend the money on the tool to realize that both my dogs hate it!
For what it's worth, dremels (if you get a real dremel not one made for pet nails) are really useful tools to have around the house lol. I've used mine to file off sharp edges on a crate, cut drywall when replacement bathroom vent fans, etc.

In case you were looking for a reason

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13