Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-21-2013, 09:39 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I don't have anything useful to add except holy crap poor Traveler's woe face.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 01-21-2013, 10:04 AM
Top Dog

LOL, omg, Trav, you poor neglected angel. Want to come live with me for a while? You're obviously clearly abused.

That looks like fun! I wish Jax was a little bigger to do that. I've rode the bike with him running next to it, but not for long distances, and I just hold the leash out, but I'm always too nervous he's going to decide to run in front of me, so I don't do it often lol. He loves rollerblading though!

Brit & Jackson

Old 04-04-2013, 01:41 PM
Twin 2

So I just wanted to update this since spring is getting here and we're going on more bike rides on real paths.

He's doing AWESOME and it's more fun than I can believe! I still have the same harness because I haven't made a decision yet on another one but it seems to be doing good.

He is completely dedicated to running though, it's a fight sometimes to get him to slow down because slow means just slow for a second, then speed back up apparently. For those who do this, how much do you let them set the pace and how much do you slow them down? Traveler wants to be in a full gallop the whole time and I'm not sure how much I should let him self regulate.

He's doing great passing people, doesn't even spare them or dogs a glance at all.

We're doing about five miles right now with a break half way of fetch.

And let me say one more time: SO.MUCH.FUN.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:06 PM
Owned by Belgians

Great! It sounds like he is loving it!

I liked all those harness options. The Second Skin one looks neat and comfortable. I tried the x-back for my bike-joring, but switched the the Urban trail harness and I know have one for each of my dogs. I chose that one because I can use it for other things, like taking a walk or tracking. (But the SEcond skin one is so cool!)
Old 04-04-2013, 02:11 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Does the second skin harness come small enough for Trav? Or do they custom make? At a glance, my girls would wear the small or medium and they are both bigger than Trav.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 04-04-2013, 03:04 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
Does the second skin harness come small enough for Trav? Or do they custom make? At a glance, my girls would wear the small or medium and they are both bigger than Trav.
Hmmm, not when I measure him but he does weigh 40 lb. I didn't notice the sizing before.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:13 PM
Top Dog

Very cool! I have one question- how do you deal with distractions? If the dog tries to veer or takes off, is that essentially a recipe for falling? Or is the system attached so that you can still be in control of the bike? I know that Boo would probably be fine 90% of the time until a random deer popped up on the side of the path, etc, etc and then that would be the end of me! Traveler must be a very good boy.

My Hiking Blog: http://thehikinghokie.blogspot.com/
Old 04-04-2013, 03:19 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNowhere View Post
Very cool! I have one question- how do you deal with distractions? If the dog tries to veer or takes off, is that essentially a recipe for falling? Or is the system attached so that you can still be in control of the bike? I know that Boo would probably be fine 90% of the time until a random deer popped up on the side of the path, etc, etc and then that would be the end of me! Traveler must be a very good boy.
I'm really never had an issue with him, he's pretty focused on his task. The one time we had a deer run and stop on the path in front of us we both slammed on the breaks but he didn't have any inclination to chase after.

But, remember I started with him running next to the bike, much more control there. And he's only 40 lb, so not that big.

But yeah, the biggest issue we face is charging dogs and so far with him running in front I've managed to be super vigilant enough to see ahead and call out to anyone. I am ALWAYS looking ahead, behind, around etc. Listening for anyone up ahead, behind me, looking through trees to see what's coming up. I also have a second leash currently attached to his collar that is longer than the bungee cord attached to his harness to bring him to my side if need be because I'm paranoid.

I am though always waiting for that fall. I always wear a helmet because I know I'm do for a bad spill one of these days.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:48 PM
Show Dog

I really want to try this with Pig this Spring. She runs along side the bike now for safety reasons. We bike on roads. They're quiet roads, but I don't feel comfortable not having the bike/me between her and any passing cars. I'm looking into dog-friendly bike trails though and would like to have her out in front.

I can't really tell by the pictures, but do you have anything to prevent the line from getting tangled up in the front wheel? Maybe Trav is just considerably taller than Pig, because I think a line would touch my front wheel even if she was doing a good job of keeping it taut at all times.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:37 PM
Top Dog

We canicross, not bikejor but I really really love the urban trail for my weirdly shaped dog. She seems very comfortable pulling in it and it just feels well put together.