Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-20-2013, 03:25 PM
Twin 2

Default First Adventures in Bikejoring...Kinda

So Traveler and I have decided to try our hands at fake bikejoring. Which involves me tying a Bungee leash to the handlebars of my bike.

Well, I think we found our new way of biking! He really really loved it, way more than running next to the bike. He just seemed to like setting the pace, being able to run full out whenever he wanted and slowing to a trot when he wanted, he liked being in front and seemed to really get into pulling.

We went past people and barking/lunging dogs and he didn't even flick an ear which is huge since he's gotten pretty gun shy of lunging dogs since we've had so many problems with them while biking. He was just super focused.

We only did around three miles and we did a fast three miles since it was 19 degrees out. My face froze. I also did discover that I did too good of job teaching Traveler to run on the right side, in the grass.

He won't run on the path in front of me completely. So we'll be working on that. But honestly since the path we were on is paved it wasn't too bad, I ride pretty close to the curb and he runs right on the edge of the grass. Hopefully when it gets better out we'll move to real trails and work on being in front in front.

Now I just need to figure out equipment since I think we'll be sticking with this.

Right now he has this harness (And yes, this is the biggest woe is me picture in the world, it was cold, he didn't want to stay and was shivering)

So, I figure I'll stick with that for now and decide what I want. I'm trying to decide between

http://howlingdogalaska.com/index.ph...roducts_id=164

Or

http://www.alpineoutfitters.net/secu...?idproduct=155

Or an x-back harness

I also need a towline and was looking at this one:

http://mountainridge.estoreadvanced....d=55&parent=10

Anything else I'm forgetting? Anything I need to know?
Old 01-20-2013, 03:46 PM
Top Dog

I have nothing to offer except that holy cow, he has the BEST miserable expression ever! If I saw just this picture, I would be convinced this dog was horribly neglected and abused and needed a home ASAP LOL He's very expressive!

I think this is a fun sport to get into. I'd like to do it with Kas/Limit later so I'm interested to see what gear is recommended.

ETA: I looked at those harnesses more closely after I posted and I like the Alpine one better, a lot better - with the fit and the padding.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:21 PM
Original Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post

I have nothing constructive to add, but it looks like it would be really fun, other than the 19 degrees.

AND

Traveler might just have the best "nobody loves me" face, ever.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:32 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Oh the woe!!!! Poor tortured dog!!!!

Linds, I think I read somewhere that Traveler knows his directional commands and all that? If you ever have the time, would you mind sharing how you trained that??

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 01-20-2013, 05:39 PM
Twin 2

He has the sad face down to an art form. It's the ears, when you can turn them off and on it helps you really work the "I'm dying." look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brattina88 View Post
Linds, I think I read somewhere that Traveler knows his directional commands and all that? If you ever have the time, would you mind sharing how you trained that??
I've been biking with him since he was under a year about so it's just what he's picked up in the last two years. When I'm slowing I would say "Slow" when I wanted to speed up I would say "Faster" when I wanted him to get closer to the bike I would say "Get in" and swerve to the side away from him.

For left and right he's not AS solid on because I didn't need them really as much when he was next to me. I would say "Turn" and he would focus more on where I was going. But I did make an effort. Overall though I go to the same places so he kinda knows the way anyways at this point so I don't really know how much he knows vs how much he is actively listening.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:24 AM
Top Dog

Bless his poor face, looks like he wanted to ride a bike instead!
Old 01-21-2013, 07:27 AM
Behavior Nerd

I <3 my Urban Trail Harness! It's what I had Maggie wear whenever I took her out rollerblading with me.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:56 AM
Top Dog

What about this harness?
Old 01-21-2013, 09:07 AM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG167 View Post
What about this harness?
Oooh pretty....EXCEPT FOR THE 150 DOLLAR PRICE TAG

This is why I never even look at ruffwear, soooo expensive.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:28 AM
Top Dog

I got my stuff from here. Prices are a hell of a lot better than 150 for a harness. I could get enough equipment for a team for that amount.

http://www.blackicedogsledding.com/