Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-19-2013, 08:05 PM
Top Dog

Lol Nolu - that's where my hand sanitizer scam theory comes in. I'm like "THE DOCTORS TELL YOU TO USE THAT SO THAT IT KILLS YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM AND YOU GET SICK AND GO PAY THEM TO FIX YOU!"

I'm sort of a germaphone at home, but not in a typical way. Like it skeeves me out so much if people share towels even if they're family *gags* and I want stuff to be vacuumed and keep dust down, and I bleach my bathtub constantly, but I think people who spray down their doorknobs and phones and stuff are crazy.

I'm REALLY surprised how much everyone gets sick! Sometimes I feel a tiny bit of a cold come on, but I just drink some tea with whiskey and honey and take some astragulus root and then feel fine.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 01-19-2013, 08:56 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
...A couple of times a year I might get a sore throat or the sniffles for a couple of days, but the full-blown colds and coughs are fairly uncommon...
That's pretty much me, too. Usually I'm good for one cold a year. A year ago this past fall, I was down for the count with a cold for a few days. In the little more than 30 years we were married at that time, my husband had never seen me with a cold that bad before. I used to get the stomach bug every 3 or so years, but I can't tell you the last time I had that. The flu? Never had it. I don't obsess about germs. I'm a big believer that being exposed to them helps keep us healthy. Good thing, too, considering I work in an elementary school.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:02 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

I get really really sick like, once every three years. In fact, the last time I was terribly sick was the real flu and I got it three years ago from my boss at the time.

I'll get a little sniffly, scratchy throat sort of thing, but it usually sorts itself out pretty quickly.

It's funny, because I was just talking to my DH about this. He got suuper sick about two weeks ago and we were just kind of waiting to see when I would get it, because it seems like if one of us gets sick, the other gets sick, which is normal. But it seems like it's the other way around now. If *I* get sick, he gets sick, but him getting sick hasn't gotten me sick.

I'm not huge on cleaning, or even washing my hands a lot. I will if I've touched something disgusting of course, or handled like, dog poop or raw chicken, but I don't use hand sanitizer, in fact, I absolutely hate it, it feels terrible, and I don't take vitamins, nor do I eat super healthy.

I'm also not working with the public anymore, so that probably has something to do with it
Old 01-19-2013, 09:07 PM
Top Dog

Typically once, maybe twice, a year - generally within a couple of weeks of the end of finals (which makes sense - high stress lowers immune system, once I crash my body goes off of high defense and it's vulnerable). I'm like you, though - far from OCD about washing hands and sanitizing. I don't own anything anti-bacterial, unless you include vinegar and tea tree oil in that!
Old 01-19-2013, 10:17 PM
Top Dog

A lot lol, but then I have a compromized immune system. My hub rarely gets sick and if he gets something, I wonder how bad I'll get it.
When I was at my worst and really sick, he had to take me to all my hospital and dr. appointments. He got really sick, I never seen him that ill before and it was scary. I insisted that he go to the hospital, turns out he had Influenza B. I never got it, still can't believe I dodged that bullet.

Btw, I don't use hand sanitizer and I am not a chronic hand washer either.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:22 PM
I'm All Ears

Constantly as far as stomach stuff goes. I am 'sick' probably around 4 days a week but I just deal with it. It sucks and I have no idea why I get sick so often.

I usually only get really sick 1-2 times a year. Last year I got a stomach flu (3 days of nothing staying down at all). I also got a sinus infection that made me unable to speak at all for a week. I went to work anyways because I felt ok for the most part. And everyone made fun of me not being able to make any kind of noise. It wasn't like my voice sounded funny, it was like I was mute.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:25 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Constantly as far as stomach stuff goes. I am 'sick' probably around 4 days a week but I just deal with it. It sucks and I have no idea why I get sick so often.
Could it be IBS or Celiac's?
Old 01-19-2013, 10:28 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzigane View Post
Could it be IBS or Celiac's?
I have no idea. I've tossed around the idea of a food allergy since I have relatives with severe food allergies but I can't pin it on anything I eat specifically. I've been thinking about getting tested for lactose intolerance and gluten intolerance recently.

As far as I know IBS is just a 'we don't know what's wrong but something is wrong' type of diagnosis.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:04 PM
Ruddy Buttinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giny View Post
It comes in waves for me. I can be good for a few years, then one year I'll catch a few.
Same for me. I'll have a couple good years, then a sick year. I did get sick a lot more often in college, though, probably from all the stress.

My current project, becoming a nonprofit: Lost Pets of Southern California
Sienna's new blog: Reasons My Dog is Sulking
Old 01-19-2013, 11:06 PM
Ruddy Buttinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAndConfused View Post
I rarely get sick, but when I do there is normally booze involved.
LOL. I can relate...

My current project, becoming a nonprofit: Lost Pets of Southern California
Sienna's new blog: Reasons My Dog is Sulking