Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-18-2013, 05:50 PM
Top Dog

Default Baby/Child Immunization

Whats everyones thoughts on this??

Old 01-18-2013, 05:53 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Unless there is a medical reason not to, any child of mine will be given their immunizations. Herd immunity, I'm not falling into that.

but really, what somebody else does with their kid isn't an issue of mine.

ETA: ftr, I'm not just parroting that off. I've had one too many relatives lose a child too young due to something that "kids never get nowadays!" so they felt no need to vaccinate.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 01-18-2013, 06:02 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Hannah got all her immunizations (except flu vaccines. she can't even get those anyway because of her egg allergy). We just felt that was what we were most comfortable with.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 01-18-2013, 06:09 PM
Bite Club

I'll be following a delayed/selective schedule probably following Dr Sears guidelines as I really like his take on things. He has a whole book on the subject that ill be studying soon!

~Aura & Riley~
Old 01-18-2013, 06:45 PM
Top Dog

I'll be getting my child most of the vaccines recommended for infants/babies.

I think people need to do their research and make the choices on an individual basis, instead of what the doctor recommends across the board. I think most of the vaccines out these days are safe, but shots like guardasil....I'm amazed at how it's still given/pushed. I will NOT be getting my 9 year old the guardasil vaccine, and even if it WAS safe, the political agendas associated with it absolutely disgust me.

Flu shot...eh, I think it's safe, but useless for the most part. Probably wouldn't get it for my child.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 01-18-2013, 06:51 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Unless there is a medical reason not to, any child of mine will be given their immunizations. Herd immunity, I'm not falling into that.

but really, what somebody else does with their kid isn't an issue of mine.

ETA: ftr, I'm not just parroting that off. I've had one too many relatives lose a child too young due to something that "kids never get nowadays!" so they felt no need to vaccinate.
This.
I hear way too much of "Why should I vaccinate? kids don't get that anymore!"
wanna know why kids don't get it? because they are vaccinated.
People stop doing it.. it'll become an issue.

I will vaccinate my kid for all potentially life threatening issues. period. (when it comes to vaccinations that have been proven safe. Not new ones.. those require some research and digging IMO)

Same policy I have for my pets frankly. There are risks with all vaccinations.. but the risks in comparison to say, parvo itself, are not that big of a deal.

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:02 PM
Top Dog

I dont vaccinate my children. For me the risks outweigh the benefits. My dogs I do very very minimal and selective.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:08 PM
Top Dog

If I ever have children... I will definitely vaccinate to some degree. I'm sure by the time it might happen, there'll have been a lot of changes so I'll just say that for now. Yes, I would vaccinate my child(ren).
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 9 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 01-18-2013, 07:09 PM
Top Dog

We do vaccinate. We do a delayed schedule, though. He did not get a flu shot, though. And we were on the fence about the chicken pox vaccine, but then he ended up getting some variation of it and has immunity to the virus now. So it was a nonissue. Too many illnesses are starting to reappear for me to feel comfortable with doing none at all.

I do minimal vaccines with my dogs, but even then I do their puppy series...so why wouldn't I do the same for my kiddo
Old 01-18-2013, 07:13 PM
Top Dog

Do you vaccinate your children every year though? That is my issue with pets vaccinations, most have been proven to be good for many years, yet vets push them yearly, why? I do titters on my pets.

As for my child, he is fully vaccinated, and never had anything, except appendicitis, lol.