Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-16-2013, 02:38 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Default "Gifts to never buy a friend's/ families' kids ???

So I was reading about Emmit the poor giraffe that passed away & I saw this & decided to click out of curiosity because I have been guilty of buying some of these things thinking they were cool/cute & the kids would like the. (He k even I would like to play wih some of them on the list lol).

I am not a parent ... But I know there are a lot of parents here on Chaz so I wanted to ask you, do you think this is reasonable or a bit over the top & restrictive?

http://mommynoire.com/13034/thanks-b...ng-their-kids/

Old 01-16-2013, 02:48 PM
Love My Mutt <3

We always buy the loudest, most obnoxious toys we can find. Luckily, the parents all have the same sense sense of humour and, in most cases, did the same thing to my parents when I was a kid

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 01-16-2013, 02:54 PM
such sights to show you

I just see a lot of ungrateful WAH WAH WAH coming off that list.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:02 PM
Silence! I ban you!

LOL, loved the "Beer Pong".

Edit: Great final entry (in case you didn't get all the way through). "Real Pets". "Just don't" was their message.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:08 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

some of those I think are ridiculous. I bought Hannah a quitar and all kinds of things that make noise (NO DRUMS though lol not until we have a sound proof room) and lord knows I have no issue with buying her a million stuffed animals (some that are life sized). I don't get the bath crayons or window markers. it's not hard to clean. I regularly make bathtub paint for Hannah out of food coloring and shaving cream. rinses right off and sometimes I'll let her use our big sliding glass door as a canvas and paint it to her hearts content lol. Maybe I'm just a sucker for punishement

But moon dough... oh yeah that is a NO NO lol unless it's nice out and she can play with it outside. Playdough is bad enough lol but this is playdough that comes in millions of miniscule pieces. and the motion sensor stuff HAHAHA that reminds me of a Denis Leary joke about a Darth Vadar piggy bank. Hannah had this electronic winnie the pooh book once that kind of went haywire and would just randomly go off in the middle of the night. Poohs voice is scary at 3 am when no one was even close to the book. Another time her Wiggle nose pooh bear had some issues where his nose wouldn't stop wiggling. it was like something from a freaky horror movie and as I get close to inspect and turn it off it comes to life and kills me or something

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 01-16-2013, 03:08 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieq View Post
LOL, loved the "Beer Pong".

Edit: Great final entry (in case you didn't get all the way through). "Real Pets". "Just don't" was their message.
LOL I laughed at the beer pong one too

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 01-16-2013, 03:16 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
I just see a lot of ungrateful WAH WAH WAH coming off that list.
Agreed.
Be happy I'm getting your kid anything.

Some parents don't mind play-dough and big stuffed animals and loud toys. Although the Moon Dough and Sand Art seem a little too far out there. Getting crafts for kids, without knowing how crafty the parent is, seems like a bad idea.

I do avoid getting my (young) brothers anything that is loud, unless I know they will love it. (Anything to do with Mario and Star Wars, they love).

Not to mention my mom, step dad, and I probably enjoy some of these toys more than the boys would. The voice changer thing? We would be using that to talk all day.

Australian Kelpie and Coursing Fiend~ 2
http://fuzzycircus.blogspot.com/

Passion Parties Consultant
https://erinnmitsch.yourpassionconsultant.com/index.asp
Old 01-16-2013, 03:52 PM
Top Dog

I think for the most part, this list is ridiculous. Noisy toys ARE annoying and yeah, I'd be a little annoyed if someone bought my kid something with no purpose other than loud, obnoxious noises (I'm not talking instruments, I'm talking about those toddler toys with WAILING siren sounding music), but guess what....Lucky for parents they are the PARENTS and they get to say "you can only play with your noisy toys outside or for an hour" and they get to do stuff like say "you can only do crafts at the table with newspaper down" or outside. And if the gift is that bothersome to the parent, you can always do this: "WINDOW MARKERS?!?!? I bet Aunt Alice would LOVE to have you draw her pictures on all her windows!"

Obviously use common sense, like if your friend is constantly complaining about lack of space of lives in 500 square foot apartment, life sized teddy bear isn't a good choice. If your friend has a new baby, buying their kindergartner a drum set is not a great idea.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 01-16-2013, 04:29 PM
Obey the Toad.

I loved my bathtub crayons!

Meh, if the toys are too noisy you can always take the batteries out. If there is a super questionable toy that looks awesome we'll usually call the SIL to find out if it's ok. The big thing I'm not looking forward to with noisy toys is that the birds would LOVE to learn all the annoying sounds, so the noise will be with us for years after the toys are gone-lol.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:59 PM
Top Dog

This list could have included things like video games or violent games, toys based on weapons, movies/music with questionable ratings, candy/food/sugar, stuff that may be against the family's religion like tarot cards or something....those are things I'd hesitate to buy kids.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com