Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-17-2013, 01:37 PM
Top Dog

Default Dog magazines

Does anyone subscribe to any dog related magazines?

I was thinking it'd be nice to get some in the mail to have around to read when bored. lol.

Dog sports, or dog-related anything.

Brit & Jackson

Old 01-17-2013, 01:57 PM
Slave to the Aussie

Um I probably subscribe to to many!

City dog
The bark
Clean run
Dog fancy
The whole dog journal
Modern dog
Dog world

I also get the akc family dog one
Old 01-17-2013, 01:57 PM
Top Dog

Just one now.
-I use to subscribe to a TON of dog magazines! Dog World was one of my favorites, the most recent to go defunct.

-AKC gazette had to be my most favorite, still read the "digital edition" but it's NOT the same! Because they just up and stopped it I got a few issues of there other one Family dog, lame! It's cheap for a reason, not that it's every other month but that it's so small and lacking with mostly "newbie/casual pet owner" related info, I wouldn't recommend it.

-Use to subscribe to Dog fancy, I'll call it, it will be GONE by the end of this year! The magazine has NOTHING left to it, including the adds nowadays, again I stopped subscribing to it LONG ago because of the constant re-run of information, and it's "basic pet owner" tailored information. Pretty much the only good info I was getting out of it, I now get FREE via Dogster news, AKC email list, Facebook, and other online news outlets.

-Also use to subscribe to BARk, till they partnered with HSUS, OUT THE DOOR it went! I will on a RARE occasion buy a single copy off the news stand, but their shift towards Anti-dog/Super Anti-purebred/Anti-breeder propaganda really put a rotten taste in my mouth I don't think will EVER wash out. Worst of all, they did have a few good story and training/behavior articles too, not the junk like what's found in dog fancy, actual GOOD in depth articles (why I will still buy a few copies at the store).

_Use to get Corgi Cryer, you probably aren't interested, it's a club magazine but they have it available to anyone that wishes to subscribe. I stopped getting it because it was pricy and I wasn't getting a lot of good information out of many of the issues so I didn't find it worth while any longer, maybe again some day. But DO look into breed clubs if you're really into your breed, there are many smaller clubs who put out some nice publications! I will be getting soon, hopefully, the Beauceron newsletter too!

-Clean run, got one of there 3 month trials years ago, it was good, but it is also JUST agility, so limited in information really unless you're a really hard core agility junkie.

-Dog Sport, I wanted a new subscription end of last year after not getting if in a few years, only to find out, Dec was the FINAL issue! *sigh* another GREAT one gone! I loved it, you can still buy back issues, I also received a gift a an issue I didn't have when I got my last tunnel for Christmas last year. What I LOVED about it, was the fact it was more than just agility vs Clean run, and it was FAR more in-depth than Dog world. Too bad and such a shame to this world that it's gone.

-Whole dog journal, The ONE I still have a sub on, actually dropped off for a few years, but picked it back up last year and I absolutely LOVE the online access to all of their previous back issues for subscribers! PLUS, if you want to give it a try it's only $20 a year, but if you want more, it's only $30 for 2 years on their website!
Old 01-17-2013, 02:15 PM
& the Muttly Crew

There are dog magazines other than Clean Run? What?

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 01-17-2013, 02:27 PM
Aware

Nothing right now. How do you guys like Clean Run, out of 10? I'm seriously considering it.

Equinox Shadow Of A Hero CGC "Shadow"
Equinox Ain't No Rest For The Wicked CGC "Embyr"
Equinox Play Me Some Mountain Music "Copper"
Equinox Don't Feed It After Midnight "Bloo"
Old 01-17-2013, 02:30 PM
Aussie Obssessed

I only get the "Aussie Times" which is only available if you are a member of the breed club. Hawkeye has even had a short column in it for his Nationals Tracking pass. It's a great magazine, has a monthly genetics article, monthly rescue aussie spotlight, conformation, herding, tracking, agility, obedience, and rally articles, and much more.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:38 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post

THIS ^^^^
Old 01-17-2013, 03:40 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by julee View Post
nothing right now. How do you guys like clean run, out of 10? I'm seriously considering it.
10+ :d
Old 01-17-2013, 03:59 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Nah, just a myth

I didn't renew my Clean Run subscription last year, as so much of it is focused on things like setting up sequences to run, and I don't have equipment or space. Having said that, I have a copy on my desk in front of me right now of one with an article I want to re-read, and a copy a friend made me of another article. I'm thinking I need to renew soon! There's a lot of great stuff other than courses in there!

Old 01-17-2013, 04:11 PM
Top Dog

None. I used to get Dog Fancy, Dog World, Just Labs, The Whole Dog Journel and the AKC Gazette.

DF & DW became almost all ads and very little content, plus they started covering almost the same things. Just Labs was just too much "fluff". The Gazette- as someone else has mentioned, they went to digital only last year. I don't even bother looking for it on line. Oh wait- I do get AKC's Family Dog to finish out my Gazette subscription. I really don't find it very informative. It's fine for people just getting their feet wet in dogs, tho. As for WDJ- I got turned off when they started all the "pet parents" stuff instead of owner. I still pick it up once in awhile, tho. Same with DF & DW.