Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 04-19-2006, 06:31 PM
Top Dog

Default puppy nails

Tonite I have noticed that Daizy's nails are worn down to absolutly nothing on her rear feet. I am assuming that this is from(i know it is from) her dragging the tops of her feet while walking due to her Palsy.

They are not bleeding, they are simply worn completly off, flat, zero, nothing. You can see where they were if you move the fur, but they are gone.

They do not hurt, as I was touching and messing with them, there is no swelling and they are not dirty, just gone.

Why are they not bleeding?I can see one one nail a dark reddish spot, as if it possibly was at one time, but it is healed.

Do you suppose that she needs socks??I know it sounds silly.

Do you suppose just maybe because it has been a long process in wearing down those nails that the veins have sorta grown "back" and are not there? Maybe adapting to her disability??

How would I keep the socks on her?

This is due to the patio cement. All my dogs get bleeding nails when summer comes and they swim. I guess maybe I should carry her to the grass so she skips the patio all together. Or should I just let her go as usual, and wait for something nasty to happen??

Her toes are fine. Howeer she has a scab/callous on her chin. This is her frequently "bumped" spot.

Old 04-19-2006, 06:42 PM
Island dweller

I think that is just how she will be. If she's not in pain or at risk of infection I'd just leave it. It's her body adapting to how she moves. IMO
Old 04-19-2006, 06:47 PM
Top Dog

Thats what Im thinking. Poor thing.

Her mood is still up there. She's a trooper. I think Im seriously thinking of checking into one of those carts or something.

Old 04-19-2006, 06:50 PM
Island dweller

that might be a good idea. Does your vet have any thought on those?
Old 04-19-2006, 06:56 PM
Top Dog

At her age I'd let her adapt to her disability. She needs to build up mussels to compensate.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:59 PM
Corgi bum

Awwww....poor girlie.