Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-16-2013, 06:03 PM
Top Dog

When we buy my nephew toys, mostly they stay here since he visits every week. We also tend to not get electronic toys because he has way too many game systems as it is. Art sets and board games are a hit with him, so we usually get those.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:09 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
This list could have included things like video games or violent games, toys based on weapons, movies/music with questionable ratings, candy/food/sugar, stuff that may be against the family's religion like tarot cards or something....those are things I'd hesitate to buy kids.
Yea, it seemed more like... "Here's a bunch of stuff I personally don't like!" rather than any kind of useful advice.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:26 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Yea, it seemed more like... "Here's a bunch of stuff I personally don't like!" rather than any kind of useful advice.
I think a lot of it was supposed to be humorous instead of "we hate you for buying my kid presents".

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 01-16-2013, 06:34 PM
Resident fainting goat

Lol I think the article is supposed to be funny, not actual advice.
That said, this is why, with rare exception.. all the kids in my life get books lol (when they are older and internet savvy they also sometimes get amazon gift cards)

Between parents tolerance and what is "in" and fun for the age group and what they already have.. it's a pain.
BOOKS AND GIFTCARDS FOR ALL!

I hate all the complaining that goes on. Look, you popped this thing out, not me, be happy I'm spending money on him/her at all thank you very much.

Some things are common sense though.. don't buy the kid a drum set unless you hate the parents lol

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:43 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
I think a lot of it was supposed to be humorous instead of "we hate you for buying my kid presents".
Yea I think they were trying for edgy humor... but they missed the mark IMO, it came off as whiny.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:43 PM
Taxiderpy

My sister bought a drum set for her own kids, lol. Honestly, a djembe or something for my kids would be really really cool. Then, I just figure they're kids. Kids come with noise. They might as well be having fun while they're being noisy.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:01 PM
Top Dog

Yeah, I'd love it if someone bought my child a drum set, or any musical instrument. I'd much rather they receive that than some trendy toy or electronic gadget.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 01-16-2013, 08:56 PM
SBT Lover!!

I buy books or things from Finland depending on the kid and if I am making a trip to Finland before the event. People always appreciate things from Finland.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:30 PM
Top Dog

I agree with a lot of them. Don't mind loud toys or moon dough and just inconvenient toys but NO giant stuffed animals (HATE them), real pets without prior approval. That's about it.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:44 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Oh man... I love giant stuffed animals lol

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney