Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-17-2013, 01:38 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
Use your leash to clip the two zippers together.

Not that Webster has let himself out and toured an agility trial before or anything. Nope. Never. That would be terribly embarrassing.

Now if you think she'll go right though the mesh then that's another problem...
Gotta love smart dogs. Reminds me of Noodle, we bought him a super cheap but pretty well built for the price ($15), soft crate, well...one night he HAD IT, dug at the door until, he unzipped it with his monster claws and squeezed his way out. He now sleeps in Enda's puppy kennel a plastic Remington from the TSC store.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:03 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~WelshStump~ View Post
Gotta love smart dogs. Reminds me of Noodle, we bought him a super cheap but pretty well built for the price ($15), soft crate, well...one night he HAD IT, dug at the door until, he unzipped it with his monster claws and squeezed his way out. He now sleeps in Enda's puppy kennel a plastic Remington from the TSC store.
Yeah the first time I ever put Webby in a soft crate was at an APDT rally trial. I was working the table for a class we weren't in so borrowed a friend's softcrate, put him in, tossed in a couple treats, and zipped it up.

Walked back to the table, sat down, and there was Webster sitting next to my chair telling me the cookies were gone. Unzipped himself maybe five seconds after being put in a softcrate for the first time.

:headdesk:

Of course this makes the agility trial incident more embarrassing since I knew he could do it and just forgot to clip the zipper...

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 01-17-2013, 06:08 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
Use your leash to clip the two zippers together.

Not that Webster has let himself out and toured an agility trial before or anything. Nope. Never. That would be terribly embarrassing.

Now if you think she'll go right though the mesh then that's another problem...
That's a good idea. She may try to go through the mesh though. I'm not sure she wouldn't try chewing through.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:58 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
That's a good idea. She may try to go through the mesh though. I'm not sure she wouldn't try chewing through.
Auggie did in fact eat his way out of his N2N soft crate and earned himself a Varikennel. He didn't just eat through the mesh door, oh no - he ripped a hole where the mesh joins with the other fabric on the SIDE of the crate. Dumb dog.

You can try bitter apple paste on the crate door and see if that helps - or have I forgotten and Mia is the kind of dog who actually likes the taste of bitter apple..?

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 01-17-2013, 09:03 PM
I'm All Ears

Mia's in a varikennel right now. She chews on the metal front of it.

I've not tried bitter apple with her yet. That's a good idea.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:49 PM
Top Dog

I brought a N2N for Grace, who is crated daily (wire crate, no issues), when we traveled for the holidays. Grace kept opening the zippers (my N2N had clips for the tabs, which worked, except that she figured out the you didn't need them to open a zipper when you can just pop it open in the middle). I tried to outsmart her and put the two sides with zippers in a corner. She then proceeded to bust through the small mesh window in the other side. I found her lying on the floor, chewing on a scavenged bully stick, proud as could be.

Allll that to say that I doubt the N2N will hold a determined Mia.

Among other things (like CG), we use the relaxation protocol to work on self-control. Clearly Gracie is still a work in progress.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:39 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey08 View Post
except that she figured out the you didn't need them to open a zipper when you can just pop it open in the middle
YES!! That is exactly how Noods was doing it! It wasn't the actual zipper that was a problem, he just dug at the zipper where it joins together until it "popped" apart. Darn Dachsies and their nails!
Old 01-18-2013, 05:14 PM
I'm All Ears

Mia was actually going through the top zipper on the N2N. I heard the lady behind me laughing and saw Mia's nose sticking out the top. I watched a few more seconds and her entire head popped through. Jerk.