Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 01-12-2013, 10:05 PM
Obey the Toad.

Default Bird People-Husband Hating Bird.....

Solo the Senegal has come out of his shell for the most part. He allows me to handle him, and enjoys spending time on the bird stand (where is he currently, watching me type this while clicking and raspberrying). However, he detests DH. Solo has bitten him hard a couple of times--clamped down and drew blood (little known fact, it's actually Senegals, NOT pit bulls, that having locking jaws-lol), and when DH gets too close Solo poofs out all of his feathers, raises his wings slightly, makes an angry clicking sound that sounds like a typewriter, and rocks back and forth.

If I'm holding Solo and DH gets too close, Solo will try to bite me. I have been able to nip that in the bud for the most part by dropping my hand down slightly when I see him getting ready to chomp, and that seems to discourage the behavior. The vet doesn't seem to think there is a whole lot I can do about it other than try to discourage possessive, hormonal behaviors from Solo. DH can sit within feet of Solo when he's on the stand and Solo doesn't try to go after him, but if DH were to try to pet him or get him to step up he would get chomped I'm sure. There has been one incident where when I was out of the room Solo hopped on the Lazy Boy where DH was sitting and started climbing the blanket towards DH's face posturing all the way, but I was able to run in and get him before things got messy and it hasn't happened since.

DH has been really tolerant about this and our other birds really like him and we are both able to handle them. Is there anything we can do about this? Solo has a home with us either way, but it would be nice if DH could handle him if necessary with out having to towel Solo and risk a significant bite...

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:15 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Really, the only thing I could suggest, not having birds like that myself, is that he takes over everything to do with Solo, and you stop even acknowledging his existence for a while. If he's acting up with him in the room, you get up and leave, ect

Of course, I'm not there, and I know very little about birds and their behavior, but this might work. Of course, he also risks quite a lot of bites if you guys go this route, but it may help if your husband is the only one good things come from.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:45 PM
<--------Orson

I wish I had something......ANYTHING to offer up that might help. I do not.

The Amazon Red Lored (Marty) I had hated my husband with a passion. I tried different ways to help this and never found anything to work. As Charlie said, Kevin took over Marty's care.....(except cage cleaning) that did nothing. Kevin would give Marty a peanut (his fave) and chat with him every single morning for TWO YEARS. No good.

We did get it to the point where Marty wouldn't attack Kevin as long as I wasn't in the room, but that was about as good as it ever got. Ultimately, I rehomed him for Kevin's safety (if you've ever been clamped down on by a good sized amazon, you understand!) and Marty's freedoms.

Marty was 20 years old, set in his ways, and VERY possessive over whomever he deemed 'his' There are bird forums out there (in case you haven't looked) who might have some more 'breed specific' advice on your birds.

Good luck!
Old 01-13-2013, 01:50 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Do you know if its only DH or males in general?

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 01-13-2013, 01:52 PM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Do you know if its only DH or males in general?
^ That is another good point.

While Marty disliked ALL males in general.......my husband is the only one he would actively GO AFTER in attack mode.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:58 PM
Resident fainting goat

Sadly..when our cockatoo hates someone. The only thing we have found to work is maintenance and positive reinforcement.

We have curbed aggression by positive reinforcement. Person is around/treat. Person is around/treat. Person is around/treat. Person walks by cage/treat. Person steps toward person holding them/treat. Person sits down next to person holding them/treat.

We did this over and over and as it is, Napo is OK with these people being around/expects treats instead of posturing and trying to get them. He even sometimes gets super happy when people he used to hate walk in the door!

but handling him? never. Touching him? never. Feeding him? Nope. It takes the process back 100 steps for us if they push the limits and we have to start over.

Then again.. Napo is a cockatoo.
AKA: Napo is a white fluffy a-hole.

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:29 PM
Obey the Toad.

I'm actually not sure if it's all males or just DH. The only other male that has handled him was the vet tech at the avian vet, and Solo was already super ticked to be there, so they toweled him anyway. We are his third home and I know that in the home right before us he was pretty much just exposed to women. DH and I talked about it and we are going to try having him to the giver of cashews (Solos fav) and see how that goes.

Coop, I cannot imagine how much an Amazon bite must suck!

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:37 PM
Top Dog

Yeah, that's not usually something you can fix. ): My parents had a Quaker once that hated my Mom and me, and loved my Dad. They paid a bunch of money for an expensive bird trainer to tell us "Yeah, they do that."

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 01-13-2013, 04:30 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
Really, the only thing I could suggest, not having birds like that myself, is that he takes over everything to do with Solo, and you stop even acknowledging his existence for a while. If he's acting up with him in the room, you get up and leave, ect

Of course, I'm not there, and I know very little about birds and their behavior, but this might work. Of course, he also risks quite a lot of bites if you guys go this route, but it may help if your husband is the only one good things come from.
My suggestion as well. Keep in mind, however, that I have almost zero bird experience. I just know what I would suggest if it were a type of animal I have had experience with.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:15 PM
Top Dog

Our Conure, Bellissimo, is a BEAST! He really only tolerates my mother and I and will randomly dive bomb anyone else usually when you least expect it, he even goes for the dogs on a rare occasion. But, he has been worst with my father, even bit the inside of his ear on a fly-by-biting fit. Needless to say, things changed after that, CAGED! PERIOD! while father is home, it was the only way to stop him, then we changed the rest of the daily routine, it then included twice a day "treats" handed to him only via my father. He's not nearly a h*** raiser now as he was several years ago, but you still have to watch him, he can even be out while my father is home, just not in the same room, and if he does dive bomb someone, IN THE CAGE! Actually, he now goes in willingly after he bombs someone.

Just one suggestion, it's helped here, but I never expect Mo to be the same tamed animal as the chickens, one of the three roosters is far better behaved than he is! Honestly I'd rather have Charles living in my house for his better behavior, he's even cleaning than Mo.