Cat Dental Health?

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
So I noticed recently that Whiskey has quite a bit of yellowed buildup on his back teeth. His canines (felines, heh heh) are pearly white, but the premolars have buildup on them.

I went back and you can see it some in this picture:

623.jpg by laurenscoombs, on Flickr

He is already 100% raw fed, and we are moving over to prey model and will try bones for the first time tonight *crossing fingers* and I think that will help a bit. I use a water additive that helps to soften tooth gunk, but it doesn't appear to be working on this. Though it sure helps with breath and the buildup on Frodog's teeth!

I tried to chip some off with my nail, but it didn't seem to want to budge and I'm not confident enough to get in there with a scaler! It's not that the tooth is yellowed, it is that there is stuff ON the tooth that is yellow, I hope that makes sense!

Anything else I can do? I don't think he's even a year old yet, it would suck if he needed dentals every year! Both for him and for Amber's wallet!

TIA :)

Maxy24

Have you tried brushing? Though if your nail wont take it off a brush probably won't either. Perhaps try brushing with one of those gels that is supposed to loosen tartar, i've heard some of them work really well. I tried the petzlife but my cats HATED the taste.

Kilter

Bones will certainly help, you can always offer a big, meaty bone for an hour or two then let the dogs finish it up. You may also be able to find someone that scales teeth in your area, we do it at the kennel I work at and there's also a mobile vet tech now that does it as well.

Here is the link to a product that is sold on a site where i buy supplements for my dog. I know that this particular product is for dogs and cats and is a great overall supplement but the fact that it's a powder is supposed to help with teeth too. I haven't had any teeth issues with my dog but i figured it couldn't hurt. My dog loves the taste of it too. You sprinkle it on top of the food and she just eats it right up! All of their powder products should help with teeth. http://www.luckydogvitamin.com/cranimals-original-4-2oz.html

Members online

No members online now.