Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-07-2005, 02:42 PM
no touchy

Default Penning & Chaining

What are your opinions on penning and chaining? Penning for a few minutes or the whole day, chaining for a few minutes or for the whole day.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:45 PM
Spoiled Rotten Dog

I hate chaining for any period of time. I don't like the fact that some people just put their dogs on a chain and leave them there. I have a 10x10 kennel that my dog stays in. I don't see anything wrong with that...
Old 02-07-2005, 02:49 PM

Chaining...I just don't personally believe in it. That's just me..I really don't like the idea. Putting the dogs in a pen.......I do that, for play time. My pen is big, and it gives them time to play, run, exercise.......in safety. I also put them in the pen if I have to run to the store or something. I think when dogs are chained, they just aren't safe..for a number of problems....and they cry and HATE it. Penned, at least they have room to play (we have shelter for them, too) and IF you must put them somewhere other than the house..it just seems the better idea........to me.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:09 PM
Top Dog

If you have to chain, get a dang goldfish and give the dog to someone that actually cares and has enough time to spend with the poor animal! Stupid people

*bangs head against computer in frustration*
Old 02-07-2005, 04:14 PM
Top Dog

My husky is chained all the time she is outside. If you go around telling people they are stupid it looks kind of dumb on your part.

She can not be in a fence or a pen because she can and will climb or dig her way out. Not to mention the time she got her head stuck in the bars. None of my other dogs are though so tell me how bad of a person I am, really ,come on!

I think it isn't the thing to do if you have a dog that is purely an inside dog or lap dog though. But there are definately reasons certain dogs need chained.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:33 PM
Playful Husky Pup

Im definatly against the chaining of dogs. There have been many incidents of dogs hanging them selves while chained, and i just love it when the dogs pulling and trying to get to you and their choking themselves and making that lovely honky noise.

Now penning my property is one huge dog pen lol. And of course i have the pens in the barn where the dogs sleep. The dogs that are penned spend most of their day outside of the pen playing so yeah.

Pets name: Chaos

Pets name: Blue Moon

Pets name: Cajun

Pets name: Smoothie
Old 02-07-2005, 04:34 PM
Top Dog

I have a large back yard so I don't need to do either...thank heavens. I do have a chain in the unfenced front yard that freely swings around a tree. I use it when I'm gardening so that Chip can be out with me. When I bred goldens (at another home in the country and not fenced in ) I had a large kennel to use during the heat cycle and ran the dog on a swivel chain attached to a long clothes line. Naturally, I had my eye on her the whole time.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:45 PM
Top Dog

P.S.....Love4pits reminded me of another warning. We had a deck (with small spaces between boards) I heard whining one day and one of my dog's round links on a choke collar had slipped through the slot and he was stuck. I'm just glad I was there and learned never to leave such a collar on a dog. BTW....I had to lift my neighbor's pitbulls back over our fence when he climbed it and was hanging on his chain. I could have been bitten as I didn't know him. Luckily he knew I was helping him. They had two pitts....both chained all day and night.....NEVER in the house!
Old 02-07-2005, 05:31 PM
Top Dog

I dont like seeing dogs chained although if its for a short period of time and they are being watched thats not so bad. We take Princess to work with us we have no fenced yard for her to run freely there so on the real nice days when she wanted out I tied her, but was sitting right where I could see her. Now she is big enough I just take her home to let her run in the yard. The ones that bother me are the ones tied all day long, no one home, some with no shelter, and I even hate seeing the dogs put in pens and rarely being taken out for walks.
I hate seeing a dog chained, I fuss about it all the time but I also know there are times you need to. A young girl asked if she could keep her puppy at our business tied until she got a place she could have pets. I really resisted but knew how much she wanted this puppy. I finally told her yes but told her she had to come 3xs a day to make sure the puppy has food, water and take it for walks and go off to play with the puppy everynight after work. I checked on this puppy everymorning and would get so upset to find she hadnt been there. I would take the puppy in with me every single day, feed him and water him, work on potty training and it'd stay with me until I had to leave that night or until she finally would show up. Sundays I'd go over and check on the puppy. I got after this girl everyday, reminding her she better start taking care of this puppy or I'll find him a home. She'd beg me not to. I started looking for this puppy a home and finally thought I had one for him but went to work one morning to find the puppy was gone. This girl looked and looked for him, never to be found. I just think to often when they are penned or chained they dont always get the proper care and love they deserve. Penning for short time, chainning for a short time. They shouldnt have to live their life being caged up or tied up 24 7.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:22 PM
Top Dog

I think pens are an excellent idea, as long as they are only used when necessary and aren't the dog's primary energy outlet. Other exercise is needed for them to be happy and healthy.

It sounds like chaining is a sensitive subject, but I'm sure you can all guess that I hate seeing a dog chained outside alone. In my opinion it's dangerous and cruel.

Both methods are acceptable if used in moderation and with complete supervision at all times. If someone is not directly supervising their dog in a pen or when chained, then the dog should not be there!

Either method can become a crutch and an excuse. Dogs who spend their lives outside ought to have different owners, whether penned, chained, or loose in the yard. I've witnessed the psychological and behavioral damage that results from such treatment, and frankly it should be considered legal animal cruelty and should be punishable as a crime.