Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 02-06-2005, 06:34 AM
Active Pup

Default Isolation (Crate) Whining / Barking all night

Archie, Male Border collie 11 weeks old (4th day at home) Barks/Whines constantly all night (7 hours last night). we have been advised just to leave him and things will get better. Please give me reasurrance and any helpfull advice would be appreciated. He does not dirty his crate and we make sure he has been before bed.Thanks in advance. Also the crate is located in the kitchen.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:01 AM
Top Dog

Welcome! The advice you were given is correct. If you take him out while he is crying this tells him that's what he needs to do to get out.

There are a couple of things you can try. Take a sheet & cover all but the front of his crate to make it more den-like. Turn a radio on low volume nearby so he can hear it. Take a tshirt that you have worn so that it has your scent & put it in the crate with him. Last but not least, you can try to put the crate in your bedroom so that he can see you and he doesn't feel as isolated.

It is super that he's not soiling his crate at nite. If you think he is crying because he needs to go out, take him out, give him a few minutes to go & then right back into the crate whether or not he does go.

I'm sure Archie will catch on & it will get better!
Old 02-06-2005, 10:49 AM
Top Dog

It will get better. I just pm'd you back about it and I hope I could help you out.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:27 PM
Active Pup

Thanks
will see how tonight goes.
Old 02-06-2005, 05:46 PM
no touchy

Wink

How often do you exercise him? I own a mostly BC mix, and she is of course very energetic. It's important to make sure this breed gets enough exercise. Try walking him right before he goes to bed--this will also give him a chance to fully relieve himself. You could also try a stuffed kong. Stuff it with dog toothepaste or something else that's yummy.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 02-06-2005, 08:31 PM
Top Dog

My first suggestion would be to move the crate into your room, as Poodlesmom said. If you look at it from Archie's point of view, you'll understand that he's in a pretty scary situation. He's never slept by himself before; he's had a mom and littermates to keep him company. So yes, continue to ignore him at night, but try to get him as close to the head of the bed as possible so he can hear you breathing and moving around.

A puppy Kong isn't a bad idea, but I usually try not to go nuts with special "treats" on a dog that young, mostly because it seems to affect their digestive system. Try going to Goodwill and finding a good-sized stuffed animal or baby blanket you can put in there with him. (Make sure it's not so big that it takes up all his crate space.) Then he'll have something large and warm to keep him company. And, because it was from Goodwill, you won't be upset if it gets peed on or chewed.

I recommend this sort of treatment for a puppy that young because I have seen, over and over, puppies that develop maternal seperation anxieties. This seems to happen mostly to sensitive dogs that are forced into an unfamiliar environment before they're ready. It's really kind of heartbreaking to see a 12-year-old dog that can't fall asleep without sucking on his blankie! Keeping his crate near you at night and getting him some inanimate "company" will help him develop his independence in a psychologically healthy way.

Going back to the Kong, if you want to see if it keeps him amused (and therefore keeps him from whining) at night, try to stuff it with something a little more digestive-tract friendly than doggie toothpaste. The Kong Company makes "Kong Stuffin'" in a can, which you can find pretty much anywhere that sells Kongs. It's meant to be consumed in Kongs, so it's a little safer. You can also push a few small treats in (see if you can find some Old Mother Hubbard brand treats; they're small enough and tend to be a bit healthier than other biscuits), squirt in some Kong Stuffin', and toss the whole thing in the freezer for a couple of hours. It'll take him much longer to get all the yummies out if it's frozen to start with. But again, don't go nuts with this. 2-3 Kongs a week is probably plenty, and it will probably cause some noticable intestinal disturbance, but nothing serious.

PS - I just found this wandering around the Doggles website: http://store.yahoo.com/doggles/comfortpup.html
I'm definitely going to try it out on my next puppy! (Although I haven't had a puppy in a long, long time! I'm strictly a rescue mommy, and I always end up with the "hopeless" ones that no one else wants! lol!)

Last edited by CreatureTeacher; 02-06-2005 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-06-2005, 08:55 PM
no touchy

Doggie toothepaste is one of my first choices because it cleans the teeth. I checked the Kong Stuffing and didn't buy it because I don't like to ingredients.
Just sleeping.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:11 PM
Top Dog

No offense intended, Gaddy. I agree that Kong Stuffin' is not especially healthy. (I personally stuff with pureed meat, but my dogs are on the raw meat diet.) I've also seen canned cat food used, which freezes well. I hesitate to use doggie toothpaste as a snack because, depending on the brand, it may contain enzymes and astringents that aren't safe for regular consumption in large quantities.

I also use squashed-up tofu sometimes, but don't tell the dogs! They don't know what it is!
Old 02-06-2005, 09:16 PM
no touchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatureTeacher
No offense intended, Gaddy. I agree that Kong Stuffin' is not especially healthy. (I personally stuff with pureed meat, but my dogs are on the raw meat diet.) I've also seen canned cat food used, which freezes well. I hesitate to use doggie toothpaste as a snack because, depending on the brand, it may contain enzymes and astringents that aren't safe for regular consumption in large quantities.

I also use squashed-up tofu sometimes, but don't tell the dogs! They don't know what it is!
. I use a natural brand of dog toothepaste and my girls are on a raw/natural kibble diet. It's important to find something healthy to stuff it with and personally I don't like stuffing it with peanut butter . Too messy.
Just sleeping.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:25 PM
Top Dog

What, you don't like having little slimy solutions of peanut butter and dog spit ground into your carpet? Don't you like stepping in them on the way to the bathroom in the middle of the night?! lol! It's the same with rawhide!