Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-13-2013, 05:13 PM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Under 60 degrees is **** near torture for my pit bulls, they'd die in a location with snow throughout winter.
The first winter we lived in our house we had to we had to change the doorknob on our basement door because Sally had learned to open it and was sneaking into the basement to poop so she didn't have to take the time to find a poop spot in the snow...

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:24 PM
Blackout

Minus 3, 10, 50, 70....meh. Brrrrrrrring it on.
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 01-13-2013, 05:28 PM
orange iguanas.

Today is too cold for Juno to go out. I think it's 8 degrees F.

She WILL go out... but when I first open the door she kind of jumps back like HOLY CRAP lol. And it takes about 30 seconds for her to start shivering. Sooo usually once it gets below freezing, it gets a little dicey. Walks are hard, usually we can still do them though as long as it's not windy.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 01-13-2013, 05:30 PM
Little dog, big voice

Moses is fine usually in winter, although sometimes he shivers if he's out too long. I've never understood my mom's reasoning behind shaving him in spring/fall instead of just before the summer though.

Cali, on the other hand, doesn't like rain and gets cold pretty easily because she's so small. If I could get her to tolerate boots, we could probably go on a walk but otherwise, she starts lifting her feet up when we're only a few meters down the sidewalk. We went on our first walk a couple days ago in weeks, because it had been so cold and icy. Up until then, we had just played inside and went in the yard for five/ten minute increments before she started to shiver. (my choice mainly even though she still wanted to play fetch)

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:33 PM
Top Dog

Both of my dogs will go out for quick potty breaks without much argument regardless of the temperature. Out to the front yard, potty in the area of the lawn we keep shoveled for them, and right back in. Meg won't go out for walks or playtime if it is much below freezing. Gusto still gets outside running time down to about 15 degrees.

Below that, they get indoor exercise and training to keep their brains intact. And I won't run my dogs hard below 20 degrees. We skip agility practice in the barn at that temperature. I don't think it is good for their muscles or their respiratory systems.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:35 PM
& the Muttly Crew

I don't think it's ever been too cold for Kim. If she's out long enough her feet get cold but even then she doesn't want to come in...

Webster thinks all cold is evil. But he also gets zoomies and has fun and doesn't seem to actually BE cold...he just prefers the tropics. But even he won't avoid going outside when it's cold, he is just happy to go back in.

Mira will and has jumped into water and laid down to submerge herself if necessary when there is a skim of ice on the water and snow on the ground. Then she gets cold but wants to go back in as ice forms on her fur. This is not allowed.

That said we don't *usually* get super cold temps where we've lived. I've never seen below -30F, and it's usually no colder than 0-10F for any real duration. The last year or two, below 10F has been rare.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 01-13-2013, 06:01 PM
Top Dog

Pit bulls are notoriously allergic to the cold. My fosters loved playing in the snow, but definitely needed a sweatshirt or they shivered terribly. If there was no snow, they were not remotely interested in spending time in weather under about 25 F.

None of my other dogs have seemingly been bothered by the cold.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 01-13-2013, 06:10 PM
Top Dog

Zander says it's never too cold. He'll run and play in any kind of weather, and it bothers him none. I've had to pull him in early this winter, because he'll play and run TOO much and come inside limping until his joints warm back up.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:43 PM
Top Dog

So far Tucker has never indicated that he is cold. He loves the snow, never shivers. But it hasn't been super cold since we've had him. Max HATED The cold. He'd be out for 2minutes and then refuse to walk and hold up a paw, his feet were too cold.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 01-13-2013, 06:50 PM
such sights to show you

Pretty sure Pip is hiding a small furnace somewhere in his innards. Dog never gets cold.

Maisy is a delicate flower about the cold. Although with a coat and/or when highly motivated, she will still go out and do stuff.

So far I've never seen Squash bothered by the cold. He likes to just sit in the backyard, and on the coldest days we've had so far he doesn't stay out as long, but you can tell he doesn't really want to come in, either.