Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 01-13-2013, 04:57 PM
Top Dog

Birds don't really ever "get better". They either like you, or they don't. At least in my experience. Our Cockatiel mostly loves everyone. First Quaker hated everyone. He finally committed suicide via Zander.

Second Quaker also hated everyone. He was missing a few toes, talked up a storm, but never learn any behavioral or training cues like step up or anything. One day one of our bird rescue ladies walked in the house, he fell in love, and now he is in a new home that he absolutely LOVES. He's a completely different bird over there. We've even gone over to visit him, and it's like nothing else. Just THE most lovey dovey bird.

Cockatoo got possessive over my mothers' husband. Would scream ALL DAY LONG and ALL FREAKING NIGHT if he wasn't around. Ever heard a cockatoo scream bloody murder? Oh, it was horrible. But anyway, same deal with the Quaker. We set up a few potential homes for her, she decided she LOVED some woman, and that was that. She's a completely different bird now.

Many rescues and foster birds that came through were the same way. They either love you, they hate you, or they tolerate you. There's not much inbetween and there isn't a "getting better", usually. I mean, if you were in a relationship with someone you hated, you'd be pretty mean and miserable too, wouldn't you? I think that's just how birds are. They need that PERFECT match.

So I'd say your choices are either keep trying/deal or find a home she actually likes.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:13 PM
Big Dog

Poe is like this with my BF. Once she settled into living with us, she decided I was her everything and he is badbadbad. I know some of that was set in her mind at her previous home/s (she had three of them in the year before I got her. Who knows how many before that.) Sigh.

The person the bird hates has to work on it, and no one else can do it for them. For example, removing the bird from the other person when they get aggressive rewards their aggression.

Have him ignore the bird, but drop a favorite treat in the cage each time he goes by - and make sure he goes by often. Make sure he is associated with all things good. If the bird likes one thing more than all others, make sure only DH gives that goody. My BF is nicknamed Bread Guy, because he was the giver of bread. Now Poe likes other goodies more than bread, so we have to figure out a new system. My BF isn't crazy about working with her, though. I keep telling him it's up to him to create the relationship.

It may never be rainbows and roses with you both around, but maybe they can get along better one-on-one.

Oh, make sure you read up on breeding behavior if you ahven't already. Enough darkness at night and absence of things that encourage "Those Feelings" will help if it's related to that.

Diet, exercise and mental stimulation all make a difference, of course. Some birds become anxious/aggressive on seed or pellets with all the nasty junk (similar story to dog kibble.)

Edit: To understand breeding behaviors, it is important to know for sure if the bird is male or female. Was he DNA sexed?

*Scout* - 2yo Lineolated Parrot
*Feivel* - 2yo Lineolated Parrot
*Poe* - 8yo Bare-eyed Cockatoo
*Maiya Rose* - 1yo Shelter Kitty (AKA: The Amaiyalator)

~Always with me in my heart~ *Sabrina* Best little cat ever: 10/27/92 - 9/25/12
Old 01-14-2013, 04:45 PM
Obey the Toad.

I was told he is male but I have not had him sexed myself. DH isn't too bothered by Solo not liking him as long as he's not being actively attacked-I think it bothers me more. We are not going to allow him to be flighted though. Solo will sometimes act like he wants DH to scratch him but then go to bite when he tries. I'm careful to discourage any sexual behavior-I don't pet anywhere but his head and even then I keep it to a minimum and I don't cuddle him. If he does start displaying hormonal behavior I put him down.

I thought it was weird that he started acting hormal in the late fall a little while after we got him but I read that they can get like that if they are suddenly given a better diet or more attention, which he was. The vet did say I should avoid feeding him anything that could resemble regurgitated food, like oatmeal.

I really don't want to rehome him as he doesn't seem unhappy here-in his old owner was afraid of him so he almost never left his cage and its not a big cage (he's getting a bigger one soon) and here he out pretty much every day even if it's just for a little while. It just sucks that if I'm not home DH can't take him out of the cage.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:22 AM
Top Dog

You may not beable to change his view on your husband. They tend to pick and choose who they like, who they tolerate and who they love. The only thing I can suggest is when he misbehaves, he gets a time out. I had to do that with Toby who hated my husband/men with a passion. By doing that he got to the point my husband could walk by and wouldn't get chased. To Toby being out on my shoulder was a way better reward that chasing after my husband. Cleo likes most people, but she is not above intimidating new people.

And for him acting hormonal in the fall, it is normal as far as senegals. Our fall is africas spring. That is when my two always acted up. Cleo still does it, although shes not as vocal as Toby was.