Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-12-2013, 07:10 PM
Taxiderpy

Unless she's manually stimulating those babies to poop and pee herself, they're going to die a very painful death no matter how often she bottle feeds them. After Kaia's C-section she was really out of it and I had to do that for a couple of days.

It will be a lot less messy in the long run with mom in there anyway, because she will eat their poop. I was so sad when Kaia stopped eating their poop. lol. If she's fostering through a rescue I'd definitely let them know. It's bad for mom and baby's health, and could possibly kill the puppies if she isn't doing it right.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:56 PM
Top Dog

Another note, not only is it unhealthy, in most states it's illegal.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 01-12-2013, 09:06 PM
Top Dog

I'd definitely contact whatever shelter she's fostering for. If she cannot handle them as a package, she should turn them over to someone who will. The poor dog is at risk of mastitis, I'd imagine, as well if she's constantly going that long without nursing the pups
Old 01-12-2013, 09:55 PM
Top Dog

I doubt the puppies are potty trained, either. How is it that momma has so much more access to the house that she can get into trouble? It doesn't sound like they have the right set-up for a newborn family, let alone a stressed foster family. I know close to nothing about such young puppies, but this seems wrong for a number of reasons. I'm going to echo everyone else and say call whoever she fosters for.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:18 PM
Obey the Toad.

I have no advice except that I hope that pups and mama are able to be placed with someone better set up for them.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:27 AM
Top Dog

Why don't you tell your relative that what she is doing is unacceptable. I totally agree with the views of other Chazers. The pups need their mother. I guess your relative is not a mother or has never had babies. Otherwise she would not be keeping the mother dog away from the pups.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:34 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffy View Post
Why don't you tell your relative that what she is doing is unacceptable. I totally agree with the views of other Chazers. The pups need their mother. I guess your relative is not a mother or has never had babies. Otherwise she would not be keeping the mother dog away from the pups.
The thing is, I tried, and as nicely as possible. She's taking it COMPLETELY the wrong way though. Apparently me trying to give her good hearted advice is "rude"? Also, she does have kids. Infact, she's a grandmother.

She is getting frustrated and mad at the dog for going to the bathroom in the house (but because the dog isn't staying there perminantly, she doesn't see it as her job to house break her...which is also ridiculous), so she locks her up in a crate at night, away from the puppies. The dog is FREAKING out in the crate, but she sees it as the dog is just throwing a tantrum like a 2 year old. Obviously, she wants her puppies. I tried explaining to her that getting an X-pen, lining it with puppy pads, and putting both the mother and puppies in there with a blanket would relieve SO MUCH stress for everybody, and she flipped out and blocked me. This is a distant relative (second cousin) who I was corresponding with on Facebook, so it's not someone I am close to.

Everyone else has pretty much confirmed what I was fearing, and I'll do my best to try and report her.

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb
Old 01-13-2013, 10:06 AM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

This breaks my heart

Chloe - 9 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 3 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 01-13-2013, 10:23 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Dixie's_Mom~ View Post
This breaks my heart
Yep, mine too. Having had a couple litters, and seen how incredibly devoted to their puppies a new momma dog is, the thought of deliberately separating them for more than a few minutes is horrible to me.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:17 AM
Top Dog

If you know the rescue great, if not then I'd suggest emailing the info to all the local rescues that might be involved. Even if you don't use names, I'm sure they don't have that many litters and moms in new foster homes that they couldn't figure it out.