Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-03-2005, 09:17 PM
Big German Shepherd

Got it. I have another question... when should I start walking my dog? Does it matter?
Old 02-03-2005, 09:17 PM
Island dweller

That's good advice.

I hope I don't slip in the shower and hit my head. That would hurt. There's a girl on the bunny forum I go to who fell and hit her back about a month ago. She has been passing out lately and has bad back pain but her mom won't take her to the (i almost wrote vet) doc because she's not bleeding to death. Makes me mad. she could have problems and I think she's only 14. (That's not related to this thread but it popped into my head)
Old 02-03-2005, 09:18 PM
Show Dog

Putting the tennis ball into a sock may make it more safe plus it's more fun to play with.

Poochie Mugs
http://www.accessv.com/~email/tshirts/mgs.htm
Old 02-03-2005, 09:18 PM
Island dweller

Hot thread. We're all posting at the same time.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:21 PM
Felurian

I've always started walking mine as soon as I got them. They can't walk very far without getting pooped, and sometimes I end up carrying a very heavy puppy for awhile (Shiva weighed 35 pounds when we brought her home at about 8 weeks old!) if I let the walk get too long. You also don't want to get too far from being able to give your puppy a drink. You can get a collapsible cloth water dish that will fold up and fit in your pocket so you can always share a bottle of water or a drink from the fountain.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-03-2005, 09:22 PM
Felurian

The tennis ball in the sock is a lot of fun, plus they can play tug with it and shake it like it's prey, lol.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-03-2005, 10:56 PM
Island dweller

Maverick used to drink from Steve's hat if we got too far. but most of the time there were water sources. He loved drinking from puddles no matter how much we puddled him away. He's not a very clean dog. He sometimes peed in the puddle first.

Steve once had to wrap Maverick up in his jacket (while he was wearing it) and ride him home on the bike. Maverick wouldn't budge once he got tired and to make it worse he'd howl and throw himself on the grass and get sympathy from strangers. What a funny dog.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:05 AM
Big German Shepherd

lol, I'm getting my puppy at about six weeks old. I'll probably wait for 2 weeks before I start giving him exercise. But playing with him, that's a different story .
Old 02-04-2005, 12:18 AM
Island dweller

Oh playing is always good.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:23 AM
Felurian

Six weeks is awfully early - eight weeks is the bare minimum for most breeders, especially with an inexperienced owner. Getting him so early is going to give you some things you're going to have to work through with him that his mother would have taught him from six to eight weeks old, like nipping inhibition.

I'd like to strongly recommend that you get either the videos or books on training by the Monks of New Skete (www.dogsbestfriend.com) to help you. They've been raising and training German Shepherds for ages; their techniques can take a lot of worry and frustration out of the puppy experience, for both you and your puppy.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian