Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-03-2005, 07:37 PM
Big German Shepherd

Default Dog Toy Danger

Well, as most of you know I'm going to be getting a German Shepherd Dog puppy in about six weeks!

Anyway, I was a bit concerned. I have a good friend who has a full-grown German Shepherd. My friend and I were playing with him and I had a tennis ball I threw it, and like the great dog he is, he caught it .

The thing is, the whole ball (the WHOLE ball) fit in his mouth. I got so scared... I thought he was gonna swallow it. I ran and took it out of his mouth. The same thing happened with a baseball .

I dunno what to do when I get my dog... should I let him play with tennis balls and such. I know he can when he's just a pup cause his mouth isn't big enough to fit a ball inside but when he's full grown is what I'm worried about. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:55 PM
Island dweller

Are you getting a GSD puppy? LOL Just teasing.

Anyway, I think it is a concern. My maverick can fit, like, three tennis balls in his mouth. He doesn't but he could. I don't give them to him. Instead I buy the big oversized balls at the pet store which is funny because Mikey can't quite pick them up.

As long as he can't choke on them as a puppy I think they'll be ok and then you might want to up the size a bit.

I suppose the chances of him choking on it are slim but I remember seeing an episode of Rescue 911 (remember that?) where a firefighter or EMT had to resucitate a dog after it had choked on a tennis ball. Guess it made me paranoid.

On the other hand my friend had his GSD playing with a tennis ball every day. It was part of his work out. He'd go into the ocean and bring it back.

But, still, I'd be a little more cautious.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:56 PM
Playful Husky Pup

Huh none of my adult dogs have ever swallowed a tennis ball or base ball before but most of my dogs can fit a whole one in their mouth. I don't really worry about it and I did'nt know I should. Huh yeah i would like to know how dangerouse this is.....

Pets name: Chaos

Pets name: Blue Moon

Pets name: Cajun

Pets name: Smoothie
Old 02-03-2005, 08:49 PM
Felurian

The thing about tennis balls, as I understand it, is that covering is quite abrasive. Mine always played with them too, but I'm finding that larger things are better with Shiva and Kharma, especially large things that don't bounce predictably. And of course, they're always picking up very large sticks to play with . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-03-2005, 08:56 PM
Big German Shepherd

I was just concerned cause I mean he could fit like the WHOLE thing in his mouth and I actually thought he was gonna swallow. Just got a little worried.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:01 PM
Big German Shepherd

And I'm not saying it's DANGEROUS for your dog to play with a tennis ball... I mean it just looked like he was going to swallow it and I know that would be... very dangerous. Anyway, I'm just lookin' to see what kind of toys I should get it. I was gonna get a bone for him to chew on anyway . At least just like inside the house.

I always thought tennis balls would be nice for him to play with when I'm in the back yard with him...
Old 02-03-2005, 09:03 PM
Island dweller

Oh sure. I don't think they are that dangerous. I just think there is a small risk that you should be aware of. Same as some bones, sticks, rawhide...

Kong is the toy that was recommended to me the most. They are a little expensive intially but as long as you don't lose it they will last a long time.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:09 PM
Felurian

For a puppy you will want to get puppy chew toys because their teeth are like little needles and some adult toys are going to be in danger of having small pieces breaking off.

Once those baby teeth are gone, Kongs are good and any of the Orbee toys are good. There are lots of others as well, I just know about the Orbees because I needed something that would stand up to Monsters.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-03-2005, 09:12 PM
Top Dog

Or you could slip on the soap in the shower tomorrow and hit your head on the tub.

Accidents can and do happen with balls, and you do need to be aware and careful. But don't forget that dogs don't have hands to catch with. Their primary tool for interacting with their environment is their mouth, and they tend to be very dexterous. I tend to trust that my dogs know how to use their "hands". Of course, some of them are clumsy just like some people are with their hands. Instead of tossing a ball straight into their mouths, you can toss it a little to one side so they have to move to catch it. Then it can't plop straight into their throats.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:17 PM
Felurian

Thanks, Emma! Tossing to the side is an excellent 'fix' for that worry! I'll have to remember that with my girls, since you could put your fist down those maws and not touch the sides!

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian