Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 04-11-2006, 01:10 PM
Top Dog

I had a cat with neurological problems. She was born in a tree. The kittens fell out of the tree and then the mama got hit by a car. Someone took the kittens to the animal shelter. I was fostering a cat that had just had kittens and they brought the two that survived the fall to my house so the mama cat I had could raise them.

Anyway, one of the kittens suffered brain damage most likely due to the fall. We decided to keep her despite her problems. She was the happiest little cat ever. She only lived 3 years. She could never walk in a straight line. She ran into walls a lot. But I never doubted her happiness. As soon as I picked her up, she would relax and purr really loud. After a while, she lost her vision completely. I could tell her quality of life had deteriorated. We had her put to sleep.

So anyway, I think that as long as you can tell she has good quality of life, you should keep her. I'm assuming you are plannning to keep this one if you don't have her PTS? The ones with special needs are the ones that really touch your heart sometimes.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:17 PM
Top Dog

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, thank you.

Old 04-11-2006, 02:25 PM
Top Dog

ok, here is the verdict for now. we have decided to work with her, stregnthen, stretch, much like the pt that my clients receive. we will try to keep the splacity in her limbs. we will try and work on her "aim" with swimming to us. we will try everything possible. when it becomes apparant that she needs to be put down, we will do that. i refuse to make her suffer emotionally, as she is not suffering emotionally at the moment. she gets aggrevated, but she is a tough one.

hey, i really wanted to show her.......think the ukc has a "special olympic" type deal????Hahaha, not funny, well, kinda

Old 04-11-2006, 02:56 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Hey dont give up hope. You never know, perhaps its not what you think and she'll grow out of it and become a shod og

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 04-11-2006, 03:52 PM
Top Dog

I hope it all works out OK for you and agree if the pup IS happy then its OK, I didnt want to sound heartless in my ealier post if I came across like that then I apologise. its just that I have seen people with pets that have no quality of life continuing to keep the poor thing going purely for personal reasons(they dont want to lose it) when it would be kinder to PTS. as you say you are willing to try to work it out and IF things dont go to plan you will do right by the pup when/if the time comes. good luck and I really do hope things go well for you.

Mo
Old 04-11-2006, 06:15 PM
Top Dog

Yes, there's a fine line here as to quality of life. The " disabled " should never be put down... ( thank God for my Nash !! ) He never would have been aborted because of having DS.... but I do think had his ultra sound shown a brain stem disorder that meant he wouldn't live long and would suffer , he would have been. Move ahead with your plans and let us know how she's doing .
Old 04-15-2006, 10:03 PM
Top Dog

weird, tonite, I just got sick and tired of her tipping on her head while eating. She kept flippin gover backwards, like her stomache was twisting in half, horrible. Wonder if the stomach muscles were actually twisting, it looked like the exorcist.
Anyway, I went to try and hold her back half down, the more I did that the harder she pushed to flip. So, (ah ha) I held the bowl up under her chin, she did great. Still shaky, but no more flipping. Hmmmm.

But doesnt this cause bloat?

Old 04-15-2006, 11:05 PM
Top Dog

Mach .... this is one sick puppy..... please check into her further .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 04-16-2006, 05:27 PM
Naturally Natural

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1girl
It has been process of elimination. It could have either been distemper, Enciphalitus or Palsy. Enciphalitus and distemper would have shown a viral infection in her blood, which was negative, distemper also would have 100% been passed to the other pups by now, they are healthy. She has no fever and is eating fine, very active. It is a definate nuerological problem, as she shows no reaction to a threat to the face(smacking motion) and her pupils fail to dialate with a pen light. They say there is a nuerologist that can definatly diagnose what type, but still after thousands of diagnosing the problem, there is no way to re wire the central nervous system.
SOOOOO_As i am willing to spend everything to fix her, I am not sure if it is worth diagnosing if they tell me there is no cure before she gets diagnosed. Like going into something with no hope.

Like I said, I think I will work with her, until I see such a downfall, then I will do whats necessary.

Do you think the dog suffers from the euthanasia shot?? Or does she just go to sleep?*cry*cry*cry*

how can they tell you if they can fix her without figuring out what is wrong with her?

dogs dont get just a "palsy" (which isnt a disease itself, there is bells palsy, cerebral palsy, etc - palsy is just a movement disorder) - there is something behind it- i would see a neurologist (board certified) and have him examine the pup - some litters have ding puppies, other dogs are born with some issues, and some can live months to years with a good quality life.

your best bet IS to go see a neurologist and have them examine her and figure out what is wrong. its impossible to say what her prognosis is, or how to help her, without knowing what is ACTUALLY wrong with her.

and no, theres nothing wrong with feeding her elevated - if thats how she has to eat to be safe, then feed her that way!

ARCHX Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, VC CDX ASCA-CDX CDX-H RE RL1X RL2X RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC FFX-OG

Beja's Bombs Away v Bowie, CD ASCA-CD CD-H BN RN NA RL1 WAC ATT YTT PTT CGC

Bowie's Here Comes the Boom!

http://otchrah.blogspot.com/
Old 04-17-2006, 03:30 PM
Top Dog

Any more updates ??