Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 05-02-2006, 03:39 PM
Top Dog

Oh, but let us not forget the joy of watching mama have two stillborns, and then reject the remaining baby! Experience the fun of attempting to nuture and bottle feed the remaining one for two weeks, only to find it dead one morning. Then enjoy the sight and cost of the autopsy that reveals the baby had congenital intestine problems and was doomed from birth! This actually happened at my work (an animal shelter). It was a cat, not a dog, but the experience was the same.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:03 PM
and Spy.

Awww... That's really sad StillandSilent.
I think the article actually is really good because of the fact that it reveals the 'not so nice' side of breeding.

~Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:27 PM
Puppy Dog

I have to say that until I started reading dog forums I had no clue whatsoever that teaching your kids about sex and reproduction would a reason for a people to breed their pets.

Maybe not the best way to get your kids off to a good start being responsible about their own "reproduction".
Old 05-04-2006, 07:59 PM
and Spy.

Hahaha!
I can't say I disagree.

~Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:00 PM
Top Dog

The sad part is that the BYB isn't fazed by these things. Probably throw the pups in the trash and breed again in 6 months. I only had one still born and that was one too many. I buried him with my loved dogs.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:30 PM
Dobiegurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh !!! Then I really don't need to see... I read it and it's all too true. !! Luckily it didn't happen much to me.. but had enough experiences which any first time breeder could have and sure wouldn't have had it happen as a " fun" litter !
ANY BREEDER can have complications. I don't understand how this effects "bad" breeders but not "good" breeders.

Not trying to start a fight because I really don't feel like arguing, just stating my opinion.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:05 AM
Top Dog

I think the difference is a good breeder knows these things going into the breeding and is as prepared as possible for them to happen. The people being referred to in the OP just want to breed to show the kids the miracle or because it is cute and don't consider these things.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:08 AM
Dobiegurl

Wether you are prepared or not it can happen to anyone and a "good" breeder might not be able to help the b*tch through labor.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:43 PM
Rottweiler Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobiegurl
Wether you are prepared or not it can happen to anyone and a "good" breeder might not be able to help the b*tch through labor.
No, a good breeder is an educated breeder. A good breeder will have a vet on hand/call, and would be aware of situations before they occur. A good breeder would likely have mentors that they can call in a pinch, at 4am, and get other eyes/opinions/hands/experience.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:45 PM
Dobiegurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottnpagan
No, a good breeder is an educated breeder. A good breeder will have a vet on hand/call, and would be aware of situations before they occur. A good breeder would likely have mentors that they can call in a pinch, at 4am, and get other eyes/opinions/hands/experience.

I have a vet I can call at 4am, a trainer I can call whenever I want who is my mentor for training and breeding (for my future plans) too, but I'm not a breeder.