Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 05-02-2006, 03:39 PM
StillandSilent StillandSilent is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,257
Default

Oh, but let us not forget the joy of watching mama have two stillborns, and then reject the remaining baby! Experience the fun of attempting to nuture and bottle feed the remaining one for two weeks, only to find it dead one morning. Then enjoy the sight and cost of the autopsy that reveals the baby had congenital intestine problems and was doomed from birth! This actually happened at my work (an animal shelter). It was a cat, not a dog, but the experience was the same.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-02-2006, 04:03 PM
~Tucker&Me~ ~Tucker&Me~ is offline
and Spy.
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: B.C.
Posts: 4,940
Default

Awww... That's really sad StillandSilent.
I think the article actually is really good because of the fact that it reveals the 'not so nice' side of breeding.

~Tucker
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-04-2006, 04:27 PM
micro202's Avatar
micro202 micro202 is offline
Puppy Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: illinois
Posts: 89
Default

I have to say that until I started reading dog forums I had no clue whatsoever that teaching your kids about sex and reproduction would a reason for a people to breed their pets.

Maybe not the best way to get your kids off to a good start being responsible about their own "reproduction".
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-04-2006, 07:59 PM
~Tucker&Me~ ~Tucker&Me~ is offline
and Spy.
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: B.C.
Posts: 4,940
Default

Hahaha!
I can't say I disagree.

~Tucker
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-04-2006, 08:00 PM
bubbatd's Avatar
bubbatd bubbatd is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 64,812
Default

The sad part is that the BYB isn't fazed by these things. Probably throw the pups in the trash and breed again in 6 months. I only had one still born and that was one too many. I buried him with my loved dogs.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-04-2006, 11:30 PM
Dobiegurl
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh !!! Then I really don't need to see... I read it and it's all too true. !! Luckily it didn't happen much to me.. but had enough experiences which any first time breeder could have and sure wouldn't have had it happen as a " fun" litter !
ANY BREEDER can have complications. I don't understand how this effects "bad" breeders but not "good" breeders.

Not trying to start a fight because I really don't feel like arguing, just stating my opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-06-2006, 12:05 AM
StillandSilent StillandSilent is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,257
Default

I think the difference is a good breeder knows these things going into the breeding and is as prepared as possible for them to happen. The people being referred to in the OP just want to breed to show the kids the miracle or because it is cute and don't consider these things.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-06-2006, 12:08 AM
Dobiegurl
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Wether you are prepared or not it can happen to anyone and a "good" breeder might not be able to help the b*tch through labor.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-06-2006, 12:43 PM
rottnpagan's Avatar
rottnpagan rottnpagan is offline
Rottweiler Queen
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 364
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobiegurl
Wether you are prepared or not it can happen to anyone and a "good" breeder might not be able to help the b*tch through labor.
No, a good breeder is an educated breeder. A good breeder will have a vet on hand/call, and would be aware of situations before they occur. A good breeder would likely have mentors that they can call in a pinch, at 4am, and get other eyes/opinions/hands/experience.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-06-2006, 11:45 PM
Dobiegurl
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottnpagan
No, a good breeder is an educated breeder. A good breeder will have a vet on hand/call, and would be aware of situations before they occur. A good breeder would likely have mentors that they can call in a pinch, at 4am, and get other eyes/opinions/hands/experience.

I have a vet I can call at 4am, a trainer I can call whenever I want who is my mentor for training and breeding (for my future plans) too, but I'm not a breeder.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:44 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site