Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 01-04-2013, 09:19 AM
Top Dog

Default Zip Tie

Got new pictures of the boy today! We also got descriptions of the puppies' temperaments between last week and this week. My friend who is importing with us is still waiting to hear which puppy will be the best fit for her between the four girls and it's so nerve wrecking!

I also wanted to clear something up, maybe explain myself a bit. It may look as though we picked Zip when he was born and yes, in a way we did. When I first contacted his breeder about this breeding, I made it very clear what I was looking for in a puppy. If we hope to make any sort of breeding program work in the United States, it's clear that we need more solids to breed merles to. That is of course if we wanted to stay clear of merle x merle breedings. So yes, the importation of this puppy was contingent on his color. However, I had also explained at the very beginning that because our lines are going to be coming from this puppy, that his temperament was actually the first priority. I absolutely do not want to bring in a dog that is lacking confidence or drive. Linds and I took a lot of time talking to various people who have had experience with the dam herself and her lines as we already knew about the sire' lines.

That whole backstory has led up to this. Zip Tie's temperament is awesome. He is the definition of a velcro puppy, following the breeder around everywhere, she's constantly tripping on him. He is the ringleader when the puppies get into shenanigans and is the first one to check out scary situations. He also has great toy drive already. I am beyond thrilled hearing this. However, this doesn't mean he will ever be bred. If he gets here and his temperament is less than stellar or his health testing is less than impressive, he will not be bred.

This is a tricky thing and that's why I wanted to take the time to explain it. Ideally, we would've picked Didgie and Zinga with a solid requirement in mind, however we worked with the best we could in that situation and ended up with two awesome dogs. I was always told by breeders that I've respected that if you want to start a line of dogs, find the best bitch you can and go from there. I'm confident to say that Zinga and Didgie both fit that requirement in my mind.

Anyways, onto puppy pictures!! (all taken by the breeder of course)
I love his smile.

ziptie by ZooomDog Photography, on Flickr

Crouchy puppy

Ziptie1 by ZooomDog Photography, on Flickr

puppies1 by ZooomDog Photography, on Flickr

puppies by ZooomDog Photography, on Flickr

Here are some shots of the girls in the litter:
Disgruntled puppy

p41 by ZooomDog Photography, on Flickr

My hope is that my friend gets this one, not only because she's gorgeous but because she has an awesome temperament as well.

p6 by ZooomDog Photography, on Flickr

p5 by ZooomDog Photography, on Flickr

p4 by ZooomDog Photography, on Flickr

p3 by ZooomDog Photography, on Flickr
Old 01-04-2013, 09:25 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Ahhh I want puppy 4... Any room in that crate for a Tagalong??

Is the other solid a female?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:26 AM
Top Dog

I love Zip Tie. For some unknown reason, black and white dogs have really grown on me recently. But I love, love, love his markings and his expression. He looks like he will be an awesome addition for you guys

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 01-04-2013, 09:28 AM
Wookie Collie

AHHHH he's growing up so sweet already. What a smile. The littermates are pretty freaking adorable too!

Your explanation makes sense, and it's good to hear that his temperament is turning out to be what you guys want! Under your tutelage he's going to become an (even more) awesome dog.

This was likely asked before, but do we know the person importing with you? If not, will they be coerced to join Chaz? Maybe?

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 01-04-2013, 09:33 AM
Little dog, big voice

He's adorable! It's great that he's turning into the dog you want him to be. I know that I picked Cali out at birth (mainly since her breeder doesn't choose the puppy for the buyer), and she turned out great.

You and Linds seem to be doing all the right things when it comes to getting started in the breeding world. If I ever decide a Koolie is for me, I'd know where to look.

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:33 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Ahhh I want puppy 4... Any room in that crate for a Tagalong??

Is the other solid a female?
Hahahaha, the tagalong spot is already occupied. Yup, the other solid is a female. I kept trying to convince my friend that she should get her, but she doesn't have the drive she's looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieMackie View Post
This was likely asked before, but do we know the person importing with you? If not, will they be coerced to join Chaz? Maybe?
Most people in the disc dog world know her. I don't think she'll be joining chaz, but I'm sure there will be lots of pics/videos I can share as she grows up! I'm expecting great things out of whichever puppy she gets.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:47 AM
Behavior Nerd

Cute! Looks like they have some great kid socialization already as well!

I appreciate the clarification about how Zip was picked - it seemed so out of character for you guys to go with color before temperaments were known. I was curious as well how structure will fit into the equation since the pups are still really too young to eval for that. I know a number of agility people pick based on structure, then temperament, though it does mean waiting much longer to figure out which pup will be the best fit.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:49 AM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
Most people in the disc dog world know her. I don't think she'll be joining chaz, but I'm sure there will be lots of pics/videos I can share as she grows up! I'm expecting great things out of whichever puppy she gets.
I'll accept photo updates.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 01-04-2013, 09:51 AM
Top Dog

The other thing to keep in mind (besides cute puppy!!!!) with breeding is that frozen and fresh extended from boys you like, wherever they are, is always an option and getting better all the time with success rates. Yesterday I helped deliver a litter of nine pups, the sire has been dead for quite a few years, and he was collected at ten. The vet said the best is a live breeding, but the other options are almost as good depending on everything.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:53 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
Cute! Looks like they have some great kid socialization already as well!

I appreciate the clarification about how Zip was picked - it seemed so out of character for you guys to go with color before temperaments were known. I was curious as well how structure will fit into the equation since the pups are still really too young to eval for that. I know a number of agility people pick based on structure, then temperament, though it does mean waiting much longer to figure out which pup will be the best fit.
Ya, Zip was picked by default. However, like I said before, it was never a final, sure thing until I heard about his temperament. Money still hasn't been exchanged, however I'm much more confident he will be coming here now.

That's what my friend is waiting for, stacked pics when they are 7-8 weeks old. In disc, we like a shorter back as dogs with long backs tend to drag toes rather than jump for the disc. She's also hoping for a smaller female.

And of course structure will be important for Zip as well as far as the final decision to breed him or not. However, there is no written standard for koolies so we are looking for things that will help them be a good worker. Enough angulation in the front and rear but not excessive, shorter backs, strong hocks (a fault that Zinga has now and I'm hoping will be remedied by Zip Tie), and good muscle definition.