Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-08-2013, 03:26 PM
<--------Orson

Default Thoughts on hypnosis to kick habits?

Smoking or weight loss are two popular ones that come to mind.

My first thought? --------> ya right....ok.

They are currently running ads on the radio for hypnosis. I hear them everyday going to pick up the boys at school. Some of the testimonials are DARN convincing........yes, I know how commercials work, but seriously, they nearly have me! Maybe they've included subliminals hahaha

So have you or someone you ACTUALLY know tried hypnosis for ANY reason? How about to kick a habit? Lose weight?

What's your personal opinion about it whether you have experience with it or not..........and why
Old 01-08-2013, 03:41 PM
Twin 2

I just want to be hypnotized, not for any good reason. Just because.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:42 PM
Silence! I ban you!

I'd be concerned that they'd plant some suggestion there and every time I hear a horn honk, I would get out of the car and do the chicken dance or something.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:05 PM
Top Dog

I know people that have done it for smoking and its worked. But who knows if its just the power of suggestion. But it worked so I don't care, they sure needed to stop!

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 01-08-2013, 04:16 PM
Top Dog

I went to a session with 2 friends to quit smoking years ago. Didn't work for me. 1 friend was used in the session and hypnotizd and did things (nothing bad) that he never would have done in normal life in front of friends, much less strangers and definitely not in front of 2 people who worked for his familiy company. Not that I can understand why he'd be like that - hmmmmm maybe because it's been over 20 yrs and we still tease him about it!

I do have to admit though that although it didn't work for me neither of the other 2 ever smoked again. Another person I know went one time and it didn't work - went a 2nd time and quit.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:20 PM
swimming upstream

not everyone is susceptible to hypnotism--so would not work for those people. Others are highly susceptible--and it's likely they would do well with it. Do you have any idea as to whether you would be able to be hypnotized?
Old 01-08-2013, 04:24 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Is it Craig Burnham? LOL. We (haha it's not "we" anymore but I keep saying that...) used to run a bajillion ads for him at least twice a year when he was in the area. I never got listener calls complaining it was a scam but never had anybody calling in and going "OMG OMG IT TOTALLY WORKED" either.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 01-08-2013, 04:54 PM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter'smybaby View Post
not everyone is susceptible to hypnotism--so would not work for those people. Others are highly susceptible--and it's likely they would do well with it. Do you have any idea as to whether you would be able to be hypnotized?
Bax, I have no idea at all........do you know if there are any 'markers' or 'tells' that could give me some idea if it could work for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Is it Craig Burnham? LOL. We (haha it's not "we" anymore but I keep saying that...) used to run a bajillion ads for him at least twice a year when he was in the area. I never got listener calls complaining it was a scam but never had anybody calling in and going "OMG OMG IT TOTALLY WORKED" either.
I am not sure if it's Craig Burnham....but I do know they are 'in the area' for a short time so it could be him! I believe the ad said they are coming to South Bend?.....IDK, I listen to those details more tomorrow and let you know, LOL

I remember they keep shouting the 'low price of 69.99' hahaha
Old 01-08-2013, 05:00 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Never been hypnotised, but when I did yoga the teacher was also a qualified hypnotherapist. We did 20 mins of meditation after the class and she would mix up the techniques, use hypnotic techniques.

I had my first and only what I can call out of body experience in her class..... Wow. Felt like I was sinking into the floor in total euphoria. Was aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamazing. I like meditation, but really struggle to switch off. I always have to fidget and itch and think. Meditation and hypnotic techniques go hand in hand.

So... I don't know about weight loss etc, but I would soooooooooooooooooo do it to address anxieties or other things.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 01-08-2013, 05:13 PM
Top Dog

I would not ever attempt it, nor recommend it. I think it's downright frightening, for many people it doesn't work, but for those it does work on, it's either fine or has completely disturbing effects, in my exerience (of people I've known), like using LSD and not being the same after. If also have the idea most radio advertised hypnotists are a scam

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com