Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-03-2005, 12:09 AM
Sheltered

Default Just needed to get this out

The family who lives across the street from me has a georgeous Golden who spends about 16 hours of every day in their back yard. Occasionally I've heard him out there late into the night, but I believe their norm is to bring him in before they go to sleep. Now, I have been listening to this poor dog bark endlessly for the past two weeks, stuck outside in the snow with no one to keep him company, and no dog house to shelter him from the elements. (I had come to terms with him being outside when the weather was a bit warmer, but it has been frigid outside lately!)

Everytime I walk Dutch, the Golden barks and attempts to jump their 4 foot fence. Well, tonight, not a 1/2 hour ago, he made it over for the first time. Dutch and I had only made it about 10 feet down the street when he came running up to us. Poor Dutch had no idea what to do with himself. He is very dog friendly, but had never met the Golden before, and was obviously bothered by this new dog jumping all over him. His hackels went up, and he just stood there, as the Golden proceded to nip at his face, ears and legs.

Apparently, the woman of the house must have noticed her dogs sudden silence, because she came to the window and saw us across the street. She then ran out her door in pajamas, screaming at her dog to come as she crossed the street. Now this Dutch did not like. He is still a bit wary of strangers (a result I believe, of being hit as a pup at the shelter *thoes people have long since been fired*), so I'm sure this was a very uncomfortable situation for him.

Anyway, the woman grabbed her dog by the collar, and pulled him back a few feet, before turning to me and telling me, quite rudely, that I should keep my agressive dog on a shorter leash! The only thing Dutch had done was stand there, on his 4 foot lead, and yet he is automatically labeled "agressive". Meanwhile, her dog had been jumping and biting all over him, but that was perfectly OK.

I have never had a problem with Dutch when it came to meeting people. Occasionally he will shy away from a stranger we pass on the street, but he does nothing more than walk on the opposite side of me. I take him to the deli, the bank, and the pet store, we attended a few pet fairs early last fall, and he shows off his agility tricks to the workmen who have been putting new siding on our house. When introduced properly, he loves just about anyone, but this woman has the nerve to label him "agressive". To tell you the truth, she made me a bit nervous, running and screaming across the street at 11:30 at night, so I can't immagine what that looked like to Dutch.

I'm sorry for rambling, I just needed to get this off my chest. Frankly, I'm tired of my dog being labeled simply because of the way he looks. I think he is wonderful (and made sure to tell him so as soon as the woman was gone), and I don't think it's fair for people to assume otherwise without reason.

And now, I am once again listening to that poor Golden barking in their back yard. I guess he's not going inside tonight.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:22 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Is the moon in a bad phase or what? Seems like it is a bad day for dogs! Glad you didn't get bit and your dog is alright. The golden sound to me like he is getting frantic. The people better wake up or he will be gone.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:22 AM
Island dweller

Aww. Poor you! This is the place to vent so go for it! Whenever you need to. You'll have a sympathetic ear here.

Have you ever thought about calling the local rescue society on those owners? He might get a better home. That's so rought to deal with.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:02 AM
Sheltered

Thank you, smkie and Saje for the sympathetic words. I a bit calmer now, all in all I suppose it wasn't that big of a deal, I just wish Dutch didn't have to go through stuff like that. After everything he went through growing up at the shelter, I want to make every experience with me as positive as it can be.

It actually supprised me that the Golden made it over the fence, he's been barking at us every day for the last 6 months, but has never gotten out. From the way he was acting, I guess he was just poorly socialized, but thankfully he wasn't agressive, just overly mouthy and pushy.

Saje, I haven't really thought about reporting these people to anyone, but I'm not sure I'd have much of a case even if I did. The dog is obviously fed, and there are no other signs of mistreatment other than the fact that he is outside most of the time. I've only seen him off the property once before tonight (a few months ago one of the sons was walking him), so he's not runing loose regularly either. I'm not sure what the laws are around here regarding how a dog is "kept", but I'll look into it. If I have further problems, I will definetly consider intervening.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:07 AM

I have a friend in NY that just told me her neighbor's dog was taken away due to the fact the owner left him outside without shelter in this cold. She felt so bad for the dog, yet happy that now maybe he will get lucky and have a better home. Poor Dutch! I'm sad for the Golden, too.......probably just wanted some kind of attention for a change.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:17 AM
Felurian

Poor pups all the way 'round! Why, oh why do people have dogs if they are just going to leave them outside?

Goldens are such babies, too, loving attention (lol, don't they all) and so frantic for approval. You just wonder what's wrong with some people; if they are just wired wrong or something. I'd rather be around someone who doesn't like dogs at all than someone like your neighbors.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-03-2005, 10:43 AM
Spoiled Rotten Dog

If people don't want to do anything with their dogs, why do they even keep them? I just don't understand it. They should just let their dog go to a better home. A home that will keep him inside and get the attention he needs.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:52 AM
Puppy Dog

If the dog cannot be contained by a 4 foot fence, he is a danger to others. Plus when he escapes he's breaking the leash law. And his barking is a public disturbance especially at night. Having him out there in the snow is negligent. I'd report it. To whom, I'm not sure.