Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 04-09-2006, 12:15 AM
Richy Rich HM Twit!

Default Questions about brushing/teeth cleaning.....

Both my baby doxies need their teeth cleaned. I'm saving up for it now, and hopefully within the next month or so, I'll be able to take them both in. Is it a waste of time to start brushing their teeth now? I read that if you can't brush daily (preferred) or even every other day it's now worth brushing at all, is this true?

Also, what type of brush/toothpaste is best? Has the best results? Also, those that have had their dogs teeth cleaned, how often do you have to get it done??

Thanks,

-A
Old 04-09-2006, 12:29 AM
Top Dog

You can keep your dogs teeth clean without brushing everyday. Use a fiberous vegetable, like a big chunk of real pumpkin, turnip, or even toss him a whole cabbage to play with like a ball for a while. The teeth sinking to it and come back out, acts like a brushing. Crunchy kibble helps also, but doesn't get to the base of the tooth by the gums. That's why a veggies that they can chew without it falling apart right away is good.
If you need to see what it looks like, take a potato and stick a rusty nail in it. The rust will be on the potato when you pull the nail out. Cuz it "brushed" the nail on the way in, and the way out.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:55 AM
Richy Rich HM Twit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinaweena
You can keep your dogs teeth clean without brushing everyday. Use a fiberous vegetable, like a big chunk of real pumpkin, turnip, or even toss him a whole cabbage to play with like a ball for a while. The teeth sinking to it and come back out, acts like a brushing. Crunchy kibble helps also, but doesn't get to the base of the tooth by the gums. That's why a veggies that they can chew without it falling apart right away is good.
If you need to see what it looks like, take a potato and stick a rusty nail in it. The rust will be on the potato when you pull the nail out. Cuz it "brushed" the nail on the way in, and the way out.
I understand what you are saying, but you can't give them veggies everyday, can you? Also, I don't even know which veggies are okay to feed.

Thanks!