Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-02-2005, 06:57 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Default doing the right thing

I hate being the one that has to "do the right thing" The dog that I told you about, that didn't return the leash, was back today. HE wants to live at my house.They all want to live at my house. He stays out right in front of my door. WHen I saw him I stepped out (of course he doesn't have the reflective collar on him that I gave them) i had a leash but nothing to hook it to. I asked Bronwyn (my son's girlfriend) to hand me out Vics collar. She opened the door an inch and of course Mary and Vic forced their way through. I have slobbering snarling snapping dog by the scruff with both hands. I lift him up until he is on his tippy toes and yelled at my dogs to get in the house. Of course they didn't. Mary isn't about to, her hackles are up and she is gonna get that dog away from me...Vic is charged and jumping everywhere. I holllared at Bronwyn to put them in the car and somehow she manage to do so. I put the dog down and took him in my house. Letting my idiots sit in the car and think about what they did!!!!!
So I take the leash, and the collar, and walk this very pretty, very nice lab back to the awful people. Man answers the door and I told him we need to talk. I told him what happened. Told him we could have had vet bills and medical bills too if I got bit. Told him that they have got to control their dog
15 minutes later the dog is on my porch.
I had to call animal control. I had no choice. I don't care that it was the right thing to do. I am not beating myself up about it. I am very sad about the very nice lab that got the terrible people in life. I know that she has about a nil chance of being adopted out of the raytown pound. There are too many black dogs there. She was so scared in the box that she was drooling. I feel like hell. I just hate this. Especially knowing the two toddlers that were at the door without a stitch of clothing on (the temp today is in the 30's) wearing diapers that have balooned out and yellow. Know what that is about too. I even sat outside with the dog in my car for 30 minutes. I didn't want him top tear the car up either. She was a very, very nice dog.
Officer took her away. Why do I have to be the one over and over again to Do the right thing. Why can't i look away like everybody else does. I have spent my life taking care of people.Children others and mine, animals, the same, the elderly in a nursing home, the drug and alcohol addicted veterans, and finally the profoundly handicapped mostly mental. I have seen enough that if I don't ever see another case of abuse I would get down and kiss the ground. How the dog gods must weep each time they look down. Sorry for such a depressing story, thanks for reading. You all help keep me optimistic about this dismal ol world.
ps last time I broke up a dog fight I got 20+ stitches in my hand. If you don't know how to break one up for god sake's don't put your hands in the middle of it.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:08 PM
Island dweller

Aw Smkie. What a wonderful person you are. You care so much and you did the right thing. I really hope that dog finds a new forever home. I really, really do. We all do.

And I hope you feel better knowing how wonderful we think you are. You did the right thing. I feel bad for the children too.

God. People suck
Old 02-02-2005, 07:24 PM
Playful Husky Pup

You defiantly did the right thing. That poor dog you know its not given enough attention when it keeps on shwoing up at your door.

Pets name: Chaos

Pets name: Blue Moon

Pets name: Cajun

Pets name: Smoothie
Old 02-02-2005, 10:17 PM
Felurian

You really weren't left any choice. Whatever your local social agency is also needs to be notified of the children's plight, not only for their sakes, but for your own as well. More and more states are adopting laws that hold people responsible for not reporting suspected neglect and abuse cases. You should be able to remain anonymous. If you do call, if you dial *67 before dialing the number it should block your number from coming up on any caller IDs that might be connected to the agency's office lines. Truthfully, though, I would call from a payphone somewhere just to be on the safe side.

Poor pup. It's a cold, hard world out there. Sometimes doing the right thing leaves a huge hole in your heart.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-03-2005, 12:34 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I know thatthe dog is in an awful place full of the scent of fear, that she doens't understand at all. I know that these people are poor and the 175 dollars worth of sitations they received will not help the children either. If I called to report that they didn't have clothes on and they were indoors, and that their diapers were ripe, nothing would happen. It has to be god awful and you have to have complete proof. But summer is coming and I will be watching closely. so will Keith my landlord that lives two doors down from them. We had this problem on the street where my house burned. A bad Bad two parents with 8 children. A house of filth..and physical abuse. We all reported repeatedly. Something was eventually done and the woman and man are presently serving loads of time for sexual and physical abuse counts and counts of it. They had a boxer that just loved those children. THe horrible woman knew I liked their dog and brought him to my door wanting to sell him so "she could get her children back" . Which was total bull but if I had had a dime to my name I would have bought that dog and found it the home it deserved. A better nannydog never existed. He was the best thing in theire lives. I just hope that I am not seeing a repeat performance. I don't want to know about any of this. I just couldn't risk mary or Victor getting torn up. We could be out in the yard and have the dog show up..it was really bad. I see that my psyche isn't the only one shookl up tonight by an almost dog fight. They are scary and getting bit really hurts. When I got bit in the hand, the tooth went in between my second and third finger severing a tendon. It was very deep and split my hand open in a way it should never be split. For a long time when I tried to play the piano those two fingers would respond at the same time. I had to really work to get individual motion back. Cana you imagine what damage that dog could do to poor skinny Vic that is half the weight of the lab? The whole thing really shook him up to.
Mary is still angry and looking out the door periodically.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:30 AM
Felurian

This is a terrible situation for all of you. Poor Skinny Vic! I am so used to having dogs that I don't have to worry about with other dogs. I once saw Bear bowl over a Rottie that had run out and tried to bite his leg, then immediately pounce on top of the totally surprised dog and put his mouth over his throat and "explain" the way things REALLY worked to him. Rottie got up and was very polite and well behaved after that and Bear allowed him to join the game he was playing with the other dogs. He really was just the best thing with other dogs. I never saw him ever hurt another dog, but he would jump to the defense of a smaller dog without doing more than scaring the offender. And of course, small dogs could do just about anything and he'd only ignore it.

Wouldn't this world be a superior place if people just acted more like dogs? You'd still have the occasional obnoxious smart-aleck, but things like that would be taken care of without so much angst. [sigh]

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-04-2005, 07:27 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Good news..for an old post..mom showed me in the paper this morning that Wayside waifs is going to take a more active role in dog adoption and fostering for the raytown pound. This place had a 60 percent kill rate and put some 8000 dogs down last year. I think that is the right number. That is why I felt so sick about the dog going there. They started two weeks ago so there is a little bit better chance for her. Part of me wants to call but when you really don't want to know bad news.....
Old 02-05-2005, 08:30 AM
Top Dog

Oh yeah that is hard. You want to know, but do you really? I don't know if I would call or not. I found out there is a no kill shelter here, and I am so glad for that. They even have a website, it is

www.happytaleshumane.com

They foster out all of their animals and you have to make an appointment to meet them so it even makes for less chance of someone underserving to get one of those animals.

But on another note, I hope everything worksout for the lab.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:46 AM
Felurian

Smkie, maybe you could sponsor her; work out something where you'll sponsor half of her adoption fees or something. I've done that on occasion (during periods where I've been half-way flush, lol) and it really can help to get those adult animals looked at.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-05-2005, 11:46 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

GEeeee it is 11 am.I was trying toa catch an extra snooze cause I worked late last night and all of a sudden Victor is racing from window to door (and over my head) mary is talking her worried talk..guess why..he's back! His people are chasing him around my yard now. oh boy..guess I am up for the day now.