Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-08-2013, 08:00 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
- Handler forgiveness. Border collies tend to point out handler mistakes lol "THE WORD FOR JUMP ON THE TABLE IS OVER NOT ON! DO NOT MAKE THAT MISTAKE AGAIN!!" and Aussies tend to be more forgiving of fumbling handlers lol probably because yea.. most of the time, it's a big game
Oh sure sure JUST HAD TO BRING THAT UP AGAIN didn't you?? :'(

Getting cussed out on course...very sad...

:P

I wonder if I have that video somewhere...I don't know if I ever received it...

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 01-08-2013, 08:15 AM
Top Dog

I find my borders have more of a sense of humor than anything else, the drive and working ethics are usually right up there too. I've been told aussies are more sensitive and thinking dogs where border collies, not so much. Ask a border collie to jump off a cliff and they will. Ask an aussie and they will look at you, think about it and take the path down. To a point, mine are not insane to the point of injuring themselves, but I have seen that for sure in some border collies.

A lot of that too is handler/trainer, sometimes I think people put a lot more into the perfect breed and puppy when they can do/undo a lot in a dog when they get it home and work with it.

My advice would be to look at both, see both in your area as far as breeders and such and then decide.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:54 AM
and Fozzie B!

Wow. What????

I could see some one heavily involved in dog sports, who wants a competitive dog with high drive and focus maybe getting frustrated by Aussie exuberance. But generally speaking Aussies tend to be sooooo much more adaptable, friendly and easy going compared to BCs. I've only met one Aussie who was as high strung as my BC... and yes, she was an annoying lunatic, but she was also very friendly and hilarious. I haven't met an aggressive Aussie ever, whereas a good portion of the BCs I know are selective at the very least. Your breeder makes a huge difference, but BCs are much more serious (even though they inadvertently make themselves look like dorks) and Aussies are much more clownish. Even their standards call for a huge temperament difference. However, if you prefer a serious dog BCs might seem easier.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 01-08-2013, 10:43 AM
The Monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
I will say though, if you mainly want a dog who is like your Aussie but "more"...have you looked into the serious working line Aussies?
I admit I haven't really. My Aussie is from a mediocre show/pet breeder. Though she's one of the most BCish Aussies I know, and a number of other sport people have mentioned it too. I like how serious Cohen is while working, and she's definitely not the effervescent bubbly typical Aussie at all. She's small, lithe and intense. She's very barky though, so she's retained that aspect of her heritage. Yay...

The sport/working Aussies I've met are all seem pretty hard headed and reactive and don't really do it for me. I'm pretty stuck on going BC next, assuming I can ever get my husband to agree. It'd be nice if I could tell him "Oh, this next dog will be a breeze... much easier than Cohen..."

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 01-08-2013, 11:03 AM
and Spy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekah View Post
It'd be nice if I could tell him "Oh, this next dog will be a breeze... much easier than Cohen..."
You never know I find Spy much easier to have around than my old dog Tucker. While he is more demanding when it comes to exercise, I generally find him easier to be around because we mesh better. And Tucker was a golden mix, so just because a dog is traditionally considered 'easier' or 'harder' doesn't say much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 01-08-2013, 11:21 AM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

Personally I find ACDs easier then either BCs or aussies, but everyone has different definations on what is an "easy" dog. I have found BCs & aussies have problems "settling" like in the house, they always have to be doing something or want to do something, they dont have an "off" button, whereist (as a rule now, there are exceptions in every breed... even mine) aussies & BCs usually dont.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:48 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
This. I had a hard time with danes mostly because they just didn't quite fit me. Went back to herders and I think they are the easiest things in the world.
I get this, in part. Herders are oh so not for me. I researched the h*ll out of cresties, frenchies, another American cocker breeder and mini poodles. Now that I have a crestie in my own home.. He's cute, he's funny. I'm glad I took him in, but you know... not the breed for me. Seems to have shown me maybe cockers are my breed.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 01-08-2013, 06:31 PM
I'm All Ears

Slash V is one of the bigger name working aussie kennels. I've heard good things about them. My trainer (who sadly passed away) had a very classic working bred dog. Very different kind of dog from the show aussies I'm used to. I think she said she was mainly Pincie Creek and other pretty typical working dogs.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:50 PM
Twin 2.0

Slash V is one of the older kennels and is peppered throughout much of the working lines. They're also known for being incredibly sharp dogs, which has caused some controversy. Pincie Creek has historical credence as well, though their insistence on continuing Merle to Merle breedings has earned them a black mark in a lot of books. they also feature heavily in Slash V and vice versa and have some of the same temperament complaints.

I am a huge fan of the Hangin ' Tree lines; also Windermere. Also Twin Oaks. My favorite breeder of all is Ad Astra and they use the old school lines and maintain what I consider to be proper Aussie temperaments and working ethics.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:06 PM
Top Dog

In our region, I see far more reactive Aussies than BC. Most of the male BC I know are phenomenal with other dogs and people. The females tend to be...female. I can't offhand think of any Aussies I know who are uniformly good with other dogs.

I agree that it is entirely up to what the individual owner finds "easy". All the traits that Fran listed, where she comes down on the Aussie side - I think "I couldn't live with that 24/7" and come down on the BC side. It doesn't mean either breed isn't wonderful and easy for the right person - it's just what works for you.

I found Gusto to be a tough puppy, but circumstances weren't ideal and he's the first (and, god willing, only) puppy I've raised. He's a very easy young adult for me. My mother wants to rip her hair out many days, thanks to him.