Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-08-2013, 11:52 AM
Top Dog

If the neighbors did it, the dog would be on the neighbors property, so it is different, the neighbors would have the right to spray a dog bothering them on their own property. But on the owners property the owners decide what's okay and what is not in regards to their dog.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 01-08-2013, 11:56 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

It doesn't matter if she's gone to them about it or not, or if the dog "deserves" it or not. It's their property and their choice to let their dog do what it likes on their property.
If my tenants sprayed my dog in the face with pepper spray they would be out on their ass in two seconds.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 01-08-2013, 12:00 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

So ... a possible dog fight btw the tenant's dog & the landlord's dog is better ... how? pepper spray doesnt injure the dog ... it just gives them a bad experience, like an electric fence or something (jump on the fence, get shocked).

Of course ... if the landlord is ok with her tying up their dog when her dogs are using the yard, then problem solved, I only suggested it if they dont go for it, it is also the OP's responsibiloty to protect her dogs as well who can't even go to the bathroom in peace.

also, you could make a little fenced area using cheap, temporary fencing to take your dogs so the other dog cant harass them.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:13 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I don't use positive punishment on my dogs and it is NOBODY ELSE'S business to do so.
That's like suggesting it's cool to smack somebody's kid in the face if they're annoying your kid. Not okay.

The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 01-08-2013, 12:17 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

I am not a fan of positive punishment either but I have one dog who its the only thing that works for her ... but thats another thread.

I can't speak for kids since I am not nor will ever be a parent. But if you spoke to the parent/owner (in the case of a dog) & nothing was done, & my dogs were being harassed & in danger then yes I would say "if you don't manage your dog, I will protect mine"

because if my dogs were being obnoxious, & someone brought it to my attention then I would manage them pronto.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:21 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

But using positive punishment on YOUR dog is YOUR decision.
Using positive punishment on MY dog is MY decision. Not yours.
Not okay.

The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 01-08-2013, 12:28 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
If my tenants sprayed my dog in the face with pepper spray they would be out on their ass in two seconds.
This.

I wouldn't use any form of punishment on their dog.

I like the idea of building a temporary fenced in area, maybe approach them with that?
Old 01-08-2013, 12:34 PM
Top Dog

I understand the pepper spray thing, but from what I read, the dog isn't really a DANGER to her dogs. It's annoying and needs to chill out.

If you're walking your dog along the sidewalk and a strange dog comes sprinting towards you.... that might be a good time to use the spray. But if a neighbor's little chi comes outside and starts barking its head off.... not a good time to use spray.

She wants to stay on good terms with neighbors. I wouldn't be on good terms with someone who sprayed, kicked, screamed, etc. to my dog.

I don't think the people should have a problem with tying up the dog for a few minutes.

I actually have a similar problem. Big chocolate lab that wanders the 'hood. Has barked and stood behind my car numerous times. Doesn't leave my porch. Scratches my door, etc.

But I would NOT kick the dog or spray it make it scared or anything like that. He is a NICE dog. Overly nice, yes. But I wouldn't want to mess up his kindness.

I hope you can find a happy medium. From what you've said they just seem like they aren't in the 'dog' crowd. Not everyone trains their dogs. A lot of people don't feel the need to.

This is not really a solution, but if asking to tie the dog up creates tension, maybe you could teach him to sit or an equally easy trick. Just to show the people that you don't hate the dog and that training your dog has its perks. Probably a lot of work for little results, but just putting it out there.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:37 PM
Mainstreme Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
I don't use positive punishment on my dogs and it is NOBODY ELSE'S business to do so.
That's like suggesting it's cool to smack somebody's kid in the face if they're annoying your kid. Not okay.
This.

If I do not stay on top of Cara she is that dog who is rude and obnoxious and overwhelming. Do I allow her to be? No. But left to her own devices? Absolutely.

If someone sprayed my dog in the face with pepper spray they should fear my wrath, doubly so if they're living in my house.

Do you realize that this could also potentially create reactivity/fear issues?

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet
Old 01-08-2013, 02:46 PM
such sights to show you

LOL I'm not pepper spraying my landlord's dog pretty much no matter what.