Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-07-2013, 04:58 AM
Blackout

Default For all you Corgi people

I thought I'd share this French Corgi site that I just found - it's pretty funny and quirky:

http://www.cosmochien.com/

And also, just wondering, are Corgis usually very vocal? I don't mean when there's someone at the door, something going on in the house etc - but in general. I've heard some people say they are really loud and others say they only bark if something's up at home and are quiet most of the time.
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 01-07-2013, 05:27 AM
Top Dog

My girl runs her mouth constantly. Jason's only outside sometimes. They are both alert barkers.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:01 AM
Top Dog

I don't know too many corgis but the three I do know aren't barkers (one was a mix)

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 01-07-2013, 08:21 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

They bark. A lot. You may find the outlier here and there who's relatively quiet but in general, both corgi breeds using barking as a default mode of expression. Of course training can help mitigate this if it bothers the owner, but they definitely have a tendency to be barky.

Keeva doesn't bark at leaves blowing in the wind, or anything stupid. She alert barks if something there only, but she alert barks pretty passionately when there is! If she gets bored in agility class (standing around while the instructor explains something) she'll bark. If one of the other dogs has something she wants, she'll bark. When I stir yogurt into her breakfast in the morning (OMG YOGURTZ!), she barks. Get the picture?

It's funny because I never personally found Koolies all that barky (though they're certainly not quiet), personally, but my point of reference is Keeva. LOL

Old 01-07-2013, 08:50 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
It's funny because I never personally found Koolies all that barky (though they're certainly not quiet), personally, but my point of reference is Keeva. LOL
I've really wondered exactly how the vocalness of Koolies compares. Tipper sounds a lot like Keeva - she barks for a reason but how valid that reason is depends on who you ask. I, for one, do NOT think it is necessary to bark at me when I'm walking to the door. Tipper begs (loudly) to differ.

ETA: Tipper is only a half a corgi but acts like a full as far as I can tell. Mu is half too but acts much more heeler (considerably less fun oriented and a lot less sassy lol).

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 01-07-2013, 09:04 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Frodo alert barks and in general makes a lot of noise. Lots of rooing, grunting, wuffling, all kinds of sounds.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:05 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post
I've really wondered exactly how the vocalness of Koolies compares. Tipper sounds a lot like Keeva - she barks for a reason but how valid that reason is depends on who you ask. I, for one, do NOT think it is necessary to bark at me when I'm walking to the door. Tipper begs (loudly) to differ.

ETA: Tipper is only a half a corgi but acts like a full as far as I can tell. Mu is half too but acts much more heeler (considerably less fun oriented and a lot less sassy lol).
I should video tape what Keeva does when I come home from work. LOL

I have a relatively small sample size of both breeds, but I'd def say corgis are louder than Koolies. But both breeds seem to be "stimulation barkers".

ETA: I remember being worried Keeva would be one of those nervy, barks at every little sound dogs, but she's really not. She's just ferocious when there IS something there, LOL. IMO that's pretty normal/correct, these little guys were responsible for all around farm duties, including watch dog duties and deterring trespassers.

I knew Keeva had her head on straight (for a corgi) when as a pup, she let out a little woof the first time she heard the coffee percolating. I held her to the counter so she could see that it was an appliance and she looked at me like, "Oh yeah, duh, just the coffee brewing," and never barked at it again. She's "smart" about her alert barking, just... vigorous.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:25 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post

If there is something going on then Zinga, IMO, is way louder than Frodo!

Frodo is a silent worker, from what I've seen of Zinga, she uses those lungs when she's frustrated. Frodo will woof, but Zinga barks!

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:27 AM
Puppy Dog

Chekhov alert barks, but only when there is someone at the door/ really loud noises. He also barks at me when he gets bored in agility or I make a mistake. He whines a lot and is generally demanding when he wants something. He has also started to alert to my seizures by whining and jumping on my lap, which is unfortunately what he does when he has to go out. We are working on differentiating them. When he is playing or wrestling he sounds like a wookie. ::P
Old 01-07-2013, 11:42 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
If there is something going on then Zinga, IMO, is way louder than Frodo!

Frodo is a silent worker, from what I've seen of Zinga, she uses those lungs when she's frustrated. Frodo will woof, but Zinga barks!
Hmmm. Tipper barks. I usually don't put up our shaping sessions where she gets really frustrated (not because I'm embarrassed but because I care about you guys and your hearing) but as soon as she decides she's done it's BARKBARKBARKBARK GIVEMEATREAT BARKBARK IDON'TKNOWWHATYOUWANT BARK IFORGOTWHYI'MBARKING BARKBARKBARKBARKBARK

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013