Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 02-01-2005, 07:53 PM
Island dweller

Default Mikey's newest problem

Ok, you all have heard about Mikey by now.

My newest concern is that he seems to be getting a lot more agressive. I know I can't expect changes at all because he is an older dog that just got neutered and that even if he does change it will take some time.

But he has been more agressive with my other dog Maverick who puts up with it unless he really wants something. And at night Maverick has taken to guarding the bedroom door and not letting Mikey in easily.

Mikey may be frustrated from being kept tied up. I don't mean all the time. He goes outside on the line a few times a day and is inside most of the time. He goes for one LONG walk (2-3 hours) with Steve pretty much everyday.

According to steve my landlady's other dog, Abby, decided to follow them o their walk and Mikey was picking on Abby a lot. He didn't hurt her but Steve had to stick a stick in his mouth to get him to let go at one point. That, to me, is very bad and it worries me.

I really love my dog and want him to have a long, comfortable life but he frustrates me and my bf and while we do our best to train him and help him I'm afraid that it's not enough.

Does anyone have any ideas or advice on why he's acting this way? I think that both him and Maverick are jealous of each other at times.

I could realize use others perspective on this.

Thanks
Saje
Old 02-01-2005, 09:21 PM
Felurian

Perspective: Mikey's just now getting to an "adult" age and he's in the process of working out his adult place in the world. These last couple of weeks have been pretty stressful, too, and he's coping with lots of changes.

He's probably on a bit of a puppy power trip after his little altercation, too, and Maverick's not buying into his tough-dog act. And you're probably right on the money about the jealously. They do get jealous sometimes!

It might help to have some sofa time with both of the boys together, one on each side of you and lots of affection for both. Later, after Mikey's hormones have settled back down into a more manageable level, you can figure out some kind of non-competitive game that both of them can play together with you.

Guess Mikey's got some time-outs in his immediate future . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-01-2005, 10:02 PM
Island dweller

Yeah. Thanks Renee. That makes me feel better. I think I get paranoid about his 'pitbull' look. Not because I'm afraid of him but because I'm afraid of what could happen if other people judged him wrong.

I like the idea of couch time with both the dogs and if our 'guest' ever gives us the couch back I'll spend all kinds of time with them.

I wonder how old Mikey really is. I think just over a year. By his actions alone. At the shelter they guessed he was around 10 months but you know they aren't always the best for those sorts of things. The SPCA decided that Maverick was a rottie! LOL

Oh well, thanks for the perspective.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:09 PM
Felurian

Oh, we have the occasional fracas here! I've got a bad habit if jumping right in the middle of the argument, even though I know they aren't making any attempt to actually bite each other, just a lot of noise and posturing.

Lord, it gets loud, though! And it looks awful - especially when Bimmer's chastising one of them for something! Gives a whole new meaning to "much wailing and gnashing of teeth!" The girls wail, squeal and whimper as he gnashes his teeth in their face. And they're SOOO much bigger than he is, lol!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-02-2005, 12:20 AM
Island dweller

LOL That's a funny thing to imagine.

Maverick and Mikey just had an odd little spat over food. I don't even understand it because Maverick was eating (they graze all day as they are both light weights) and he growled but Mikey was over by me and as soon as Maverick growled Mikey hop-pivoted around and ran over to the food and started eating. Maverick wasn't even looking and he never growls and the cats or people - just Mikey. Weird.

Now, Maverick has this new little 'thing' that he does. I frequently work in a fake-lazy boy chair (old and not comfy) and Maverick has been sneaking around behing the table next to the chair and throwing his head on my arm. THen if I ignore him he throws his head on my chest and makes his head really heavy and if I still ignore him (just for fun) and starts licking my face and ear. Hee hee hee. I just ignored him while I was typing this and he's laying and sulking on the floor. What a goof.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:05 AM
Felurian

I think Maverick and Shiva have been chatting on the internet while we're not around.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-02-2005, 12:06 PM
Island dweller

LOL I don't think Maverick is fond of those new-fangled things. Although he was staring pretty hard at the screen the other day. Reading over my shoulder no doubt! LOL
Old 02-02-2005, 10:02 PM
Top Dog

I agree fully with Renee. Mikey's just got a lot on his plate right now. The hormones are probably a huge part of it, because it sounds like you neutered him just as he hit puberty. Not that there's anything wrong with that! I'm all for spaying and neutering any and every poochie I can get my hands on. But that's a pretty massive chemical fluctuation, and I know from my own hormone experiences what something like that can do to your mood.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:07 PM
Island dweller

LOL Yeah. Hormones = nuts! Hee hee hee

You should see Mikey right now. Steve is bathing maverick because he had brown something all over him and that's never good. His uncle is helping so maverick and two men are locked in the bathroom and Mikey is jealous! He keeps whining and scratching at the door to get in. I think I'll take a pic and post it. Pretty funny!

BTW you both really made me feel better. I appreciate that.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:29 PM
Top Dog

Maybe you ought to take this opportunity to have a little "us" time!

And I'm sure glad you feel better. Things can only go up!