Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-06-2013, 02:30 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kady05 View Post
Yes, she did:
Thanks! I'm on my phone so I was going by memory.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 01-06-2013, 02:40 PM
Top Dog

Sell your camera. You just posted about a D40...sell it.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:51 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by kady05 View Post
Coming from someone who had rats for years, are you sure you should pursue treatment for some of these guys and not opt for euthanasia instead?

I know it sounds harsh but if the girls have mammary tumors, the males are aggressive, and they all have crappy respiratory systems, there's only so much you can do. Sure a spay can *maybe* lessen the chance of more tumors developing, but it's not fool proof. A neuter *can* help with aggression issues, but not always. If they've all had Myco they're going to be susceptible to other respiratory infections, etc. and a surgery might put them over the edge.

Added into that you don't have a job, so what happens if you do all of these surgeries and there are complications.. how will you pay for that?
I've been struggling with how to say that. I would also suggest not taking in any more rescues until you're back on your feet. It wouldn't be fair to you, your pets or the rescued critters.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:08 PM
SevenSins

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfarvito View Post
Listen, I hate to have to be the voice of reason here. I know I'm going to **** some people off with this, but you have 40+ cancerous aggressive rats from the sounds of it rats with lots of inbreeding as well. I absolutely adore rats and have kept them on several occasions, but it doesn't sound like there is much you can do for them here. Maybe its time to find someone that keeps herps and sell/ give them to said person.
Beat me to it.

I used to keep and breed fancy rats. There is absolutely nothing about common petstore-quality rats that are "extremely aggressive" that warrants wasting (yes, wasting) money on spaying and neutering them. I wouldn't even bother treating the myco at this point, not to mention a neuter is NOT guaranteed to curb "extreme aggression" in an adult male rat, and can cost upward of $100 each depending on where you live. Multiplied by how many, again? Let me ask you, why? When anyone can get a healthy, friendly rat from a breeder for just a few dollars? Or a petstore, as much as I loathe them, and their rats usually have myco and rat lice too (forgot to mention, by the way, that your house is probably crawling with those at this point) but they'd still be cheaper.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:08 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
it sounds like the OP is probably quite bonded to a lot of these rats for one thing, and for another: I wouldn't be feeding such potentially ill rats to my reptiles. If they need such a vet care, and some could have things such as infections/viruses/etc...I wouldn't give them to my snakes.
Those are the two reasons I didn't suggest this. If they're sick enough, then put them down humanely. No reason to feed sick rodents to snakes. And I know that despite feeding rats and mice to the snakes at work every week, if I had a PET rat, I would never be able to feed THAT rat to a snake, regardless of my situation. We actually have an African soft-fur rat living in our department that came from the herp department's colony of feeders. He's not going to be fed to anyone, period.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:23 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
Those are the two reasons I didn't suggest this. If they're sick enough, then put them down humanely. No reason to feed sick rodents to snakes. And I know that despite feeding rats and mice to the snakes at work every week, if I had a PET rat, I would never be able to feed THAT rat to a snake, regardless of my situation. We actually have an African soft-fur rat living in our department that came from the herp department's colony of feeders. He's not going to be fed to anyone, period.
Put down humanely? How do you think rats get fed to snakes. I don't know how you guys do it, but I've always pre-killed anything that went to my snakes very quickly and humanely. I regularly buy feeders online prefrozen and I'm sure the conditions they're kept in make for much sicker rodents, and none of my snakes has ever suffered an illness from a contaminated feeder. All the people that went on about feeding sick rodents to snakes have clearly either never seen a feeder facility, or must have their own immaculate feeder colonies.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:28 PM
Top Dog

I don't think Sael is saying that feeder rats aren't killed humanely. I think she's just saying that, if turning these rats into herp food isn't a possibility (which IMO it shouldn't be ethically...just because other people feed snakes sick rats doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. That's like reprimanding someone for irresponsibly breeding their dogs and then using "have you seen puppy mills? They're much worse!" as an excuse), putting them down might be the best option.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 01-06-2013, 03:30 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfarvito View Post
Put down humanely? How do you think rats get fed to snakes...
Put down humanely means euthanasia (drug OD), as opposed to letting the rats suffer until their illnesses took their lives. It's already been mentioned that they are too sick to be used as snake food.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:33 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
I don't think Sael is saying that feeder rats aren't killed humanely. I think she's just saying that, if turning these rats into herp food isn't a possibility (which IMO it shouldn't be ethically...just because other people feed snakes sick rats doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. That's like reprimanding someone for irresponsibly breeding their dogs and then using "have you seen puppy mills? They're much worse!" as an excuse), putting them down might be the best option.
I'm not saying some people feed sick rodents, I'm saying anyone that doesn't breed their own feeders feeds sick rodents. Its impossible to avoid illness when you're breeding the numbers required to sell feeders. I'm assuming you don't breed your own, so that adorable little corn snake of yours is eating sick pinkies. I was trying to avoid a **** storm so I'm going to bow out of this thread respectfully. If anyone would like to discuss this over PM feel free to message me.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:36 PM
SevenSins

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
just because other people feed snakes sick rats doesn't mean it's the right thing to do
Depends on the illness. There is nothing about rat myco that will harm a snake, and you can't get away from it anyway, because nearly all feed-quality rats carry it. Even most colonies bred by herp owners carry it. What WILL harm your snakes is the antibiotics and crap people use to treat it.

There are also much more humane ways to kill a rat than an injection into the heart.