Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-06-2013, 09:20 AM
Top Dog

I think in this day and age all of the animals/species that were used for a job have to adapt. Dogs and horses come to mind immediately just because that's what I'm most involved in.

The majority of the people that own these animals do so for fun, for a hobby, for companionship, not for work. Sure, there are people that will use their animals for the job they are were originally bred for, but I also think there is a huge different between what is done in a fairly controlled competition setting vs what is done in real life.

If, say, quarter horses didn't adapt to the 21st century, the numbers would be seriously limited to the horses on the large ranches out west. If BCs didn't adapt to fill other roles and do other jobs, they would all be stuck on sheep farms in England. There is nothing wrong with a breed evolving to meet the job requirements of the current times. If they didn't, they would die out.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 01-06-2013, 09:33 AM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAndConfused View Post
There is nothing wrong with a breed evolving to meet the job requirements of the current times. If they didn't, they would die out.
I agree completely with this concerning ANY breed. A very large number of breeds do not do the jobs their ancestors did, and MANY times it's because either the job is rarely called for, obsolete, and in some cases.......ILLEGAL nowadays. You could say the same for people, LOL

It's either adapt to our (society's) needs, or fall by the wayside. That's the harsh reality IMO.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:33 AM
Twin 2

I've never been quite sure what it was that made what a breed was created for 100s or more years ago so sacred that it couldn't evolve. I mean, it was created for a purpose, to fill a void/niche that was needed from hunting to herding to companionship and if that purpose or need changes and evolves with our culture I would much rather that the dogs change with it rather than just die out a long with the past. If it means tweaking them to fit into the needs we currently have then good! It keeps them alive, it allows more people the chance to find the right dog for them and diversity to happen.

These dogs are more than their purpose, they are more than their work and I do think that if you define them fully on the work they did and the reason they were created you are missing a big chunk of a dog.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:39 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACooper View Post
You could say the same for people, LOL
I agree with this X 100. I was just going to make the same comment.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 01-06-2013, 10:44 AM
Top Dog

I think there's room for all three 'types' and who cares what the different breeders do, as long as it's done with some ethics you can live with. If you can't live with their ethics, don't suggest them to puppy buyers, be honest and fair as to 'why' and call it a day.

I don't worry about the ethics of the other breeders, other than having ones I can suggest. And other than a few that are almost amusing (in a sad way) to keep track of (really? You sold a pup to someone who had you ship it and payed on paypal and you were in such a rush to get the money you didn't wait or do checks and now you realize it was a mistake? AGAIN? Isn't that the third time now????). I wouldn't deal with a breeder I wouldn't place a pup with or get a pup from.

I think variety is good, and there are homes for all types, unless you are overbreeding, but then again I'd rather see someone get a dog that has clearances on the parents over going online and getting a dog with nothing. I don't care what people thing of the plans I have, I'm happy with what the potential is and looking forward to puppies. If I worried about what others thought I would be flipping every week!
Old 01-06-2013, 10:57 AM
Twin 2

OT A bit but can I just say I love how much Chaz has relaxed in recent years. How much people have really embraced that things are not right, wrong, good, bad, black and white and really been able to have interesting discussions with lots of opinions and ideas.

I was just thinking that if this question had been posed when I first joined it easily could have gotten ugly fast.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:48 AM
I'm All Ears

Breeds evolve and you can't change that. It's not just working breeds either, you see it in every breed on the planet. All you can really do is go support breeders/programs you like and that's about it.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:20 PM
Will Creep For Sheep

Wow, I'm actually amazed that people are agreeing!! Please, keep the posts coming, I am thinking about writing an article about this for a BC magazine.

www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
http://brigadoonbc.wordpress.com/

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?
Old 01-06-2013, 02:59 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnedByBCs View Post
Wow, I'm actually amazed that people are agreeing!! Please, keep the posts coming, I am thinking about writing an article about this for a BC magazine.
If you do will/can you post it or link it here? I would love to read it!
Old 01-06-2013, 03:11 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Breeds evolve and you can't change that. It's not just working breeds either, you see it in every breed on the planet. All you can really do is go support breeders/programs you like and that's about it.
Absolutely, and for purchasers of puppies I don't think there is much more to it. But for breeders I do think there is more responsibility in terms of working with others in the breed and keeping the big picture in mind. Not dreaming that one day everyone will agree or even that everyone sharing the same vision actually is even good for a breed, but there does need to be coordination and information sharing and, well, teamwork.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13