Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 01-05-2013, 08:00 PM
I'm All Ears

I don't know about the D3100 but the D90 and D60 both have a decent action shot settings. I use it when I'm feeling lazy.

One thing I do, that I don't see mentioned is that I sit on the ground and usually hold the camera on the ground. It is MUCH harder to get decent action shots of dogs as small as ours are with nice backgrounds. If I can, I try to set it up so that the dogs are up a little higher than I am. If it's sunny, sun goes to my back.

I also use multiple toys if I'm going for ball shots. It is very easy to set up a shot by throwing one toy right then the other left. Mia will run for the first then sprint over to the second. although lately she's figured out my plan and is trying to pre-empt me to get to ball #2. So I may rethink that a bit. But generally ball #1 is to get her 'positioned' because she's usually right on top of me. Then I use the rest of the balls to get the shots I want.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:34 PM
Little dog, big voice

I'll have to play with the shutter speed, I'll try to find some D3100 manuals online since the one it came with isn't too detailed. I know it can take action shots because my mom has used it for taking pictures while I was riding, etc but that's when it's just on the sport setting.

And I usually sit on the ground as well, but Cali has the same issue. As soon as she sees me sitting down, she sees it as an even bigger excuse to run back to me and poke her face in the camera. She's a velcro dog which doesn't help at all. I might see if my sister will come out and help me a few times. I'll try the multiple balls a bit more, although usually Cali automatically drops the other one if she sees me with a new one. Or, she'll carry the one over, drop it, grab the other one and push the other one with her paws.

I'll try all the suggestions out tomorrow so we'll see what happens! Thanks everyone!

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.