Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 10-06-2013, 06:27 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Unhappy Had a close encounter with a Cougar

Tyler and I went camping this weekend and we planned to stay at a recreational campsite. When we got there it was almost dark so we just decided to park the truck and go sit by the lake that was behind the campsite and watch for animals coming to drink.

Well we where there for about 10 minutes and I heard Teagan barking her crazy head off from in the truck, but it was very faint so it was hard to really know if she was barking or not. You really had to listen for it so Tyler never heard her, because I asked if he could hear here and he said no.

Tyler said he got this really bad feeling that made him look down the path and about 30 yards from us was a Cougar just sitting there are watching us. Tyler got up instantly and said "cougar" quietly. I got up and, yup there was a cougar starting at us. We starred at each other for a little bit over a minute until we decided to chase the cougar away.

Needless to say we did not stay in that camping area, because the cougar was sticking around. We saw it a few other times and Tyler shot at it to scare it away and that was the last time we saw it. I was more worried about the dogs than us. So the dogs where on leashes all weekend and attached to us.

We actually came across a rancher who has cattle on the land and he said this year he has lost 4 calves to cougars and last year a fellow rancher in the area lost 18. So he told us to shoot it next time we saw it, but thankfully we did not see it again.

Tyler has a friend who he works with that is suppose to take us on a cougar chase/hunt. He has 5 hounds that he runs. So I am pretty excited about that.

I told Tyler we need another Boerboel or a few hounds for when we go hunting and hiking. I was wishing that weekend that Panzer was grown up lol one of the main reason for getting pan is for wildlife protection. He needs to get big so he can do his job.

So share your wild animals encounters with me.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff

Last edited by HayleyMarie; 10-06-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:37 PM
Top Dog

Eep! Scary! Tons of cougars/mountain lions back home in southern california, but nothing like that out here in Virginia. We often see foxes and deer on our walks, but that's the extent of it.

Of course, I'm not going out to the middle of nowhere, either--these are just in neighborhoods and parks.

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 10-06-2013, 07:31 PM
Top Dog

When I was working at the vet clinic, one of our clients had a dog killed by a bobcat in the middle of a city park in broad daylight.

For the most part, though, I enjoy wildlife. Don't infringe on their life and they won't infringe on yours.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:31 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I'm in the middle of good ol' Indiana, so the largest wildlife I've ever encountered was a coyote at a distance. LOL

We did have a coyote that came up onto our porch, braving Chloe going ballistic in the window, to try to eat our cats who were safe and secure in their cat house. My sister STUPIDLY stepped outside blocking its most direct/safe route of escape and yelled at it. Luckily it just ran past her and bolted.

When Blackie and Rose were alive and in their prime, they kept our yard coyote free. With them now gone, they're getting braver. Not only coyotes, but deer and smaller critters as well. Dad really wants a large outdoor dog again for pest control.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:35 PM
Top Dog

Biggest wildlife I've seen are a few black bears upstate. Bobcats, coyotes...never anything too scary.

I got scary close to a big big (longer than our 12 ft canoe, so I think 14ft) gator down in Florida. I was leaning over the edge looking for where I saw the bubbles and just under the water his eye was looking at me, less than 2 ft from my face. I'm not too scared of wildlife but my heart skipped a beat then.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 10-06-2013, 09:14 PM
Top Dog

Coyote stole three of my chickens a few minutes ago.

I tried to show it to freaking Roman in the distance but he is apparently blind and decided I must want a very thorough investigation of the ground.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:21 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Camping in Northern MI when I was about 12, my sister and I were out playing and had a black bear come up behind us. Had to be no more than 10 foot away, standing on it's hind legs looking at us. Of course we had no idea about bear safety and booked it back to the motor home.

We've got some sort of wild cat around here (nobody has seen it close enough to identify a breed)... one day I went out to ride my horse and saw the grass in the back pasture moving around. My gelding was flipping out, herding the girls up to the barn, striking at the back fence. I jogged out to see what it was, and sure enough that cat was stalking our horses. I saw a beige streak with a long tail run across the road after I threw a rock at it. About 6 months later, our neighbors horse came in for her morning feed and had scratches all down her back and legs. We were pretty sure it was the same large cat.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/trailingcattle
Old 10-06-2013, 09:26 PM
such sights to show you

There are black bear, moose, and wolves up in Northern Minnesota. I've only had very fleeting encounters with them, as long as you don't surprise them or harass them they pretty much leave you alone. I make sure I hike and scooter with a bear bell when I'm up there, and usually sing or whistle, too.

I've never seen or hear of cougars up there, though. That would be pretty creeptastic.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:44 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Eek I think I would've pee'd myself! Glad you guys are all OK!

I've been close to a few black bears and coyotes, but not too scary as they didn't sem interested in us at all.

The scariest encounter was when we were running on the trail near our house, it's paved but goes through a animal refuge. We ran way too far and walked back, unfortuantely we didn't realize it was starting to get dark much earlier and we where 2 miles from our car at dusk.

One moment we see a blue heron on the side of the trail, next thing we know as we get just past the blue heron a wolf jumps out of the bushes and jumps on the heron. We were within 8 feet of that wolf, I was terrified. We kept walking calmly and luckily it seemed to be too interested in its food. The entire way back we heard lots of growling, howling, and other wolfy noises I've never heard before. We don't go near that trail anytime near dawn or dusk!

It's a good thing we didn't have the dogs with us at the time too.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:24 PM
Wu-Tang Steph

Scary! At my last job there was quite a bit of wooded area to walk through, so I'd venture off fairly deep into the woods to work various things with the dogs and one day on our way back I kept hearing scampering and rustling within about 20 yards of where ever we were. When we got back to the trail and I had a clear vision around the area, I saw 3 coyotes were following us fairly closely. Typically I'd see one here or there and they spook off fairly easily, but these ones were tagging along the entire route.

I lobbed a few stones in their direction and yelled a few things but they seemed more perplexed than any thing. I had a little tenacious Pit with me and some pepper spray, so we just kept a normal pace and made out way out to the road where they opted not to follow. I had pretty much no thoughts on what we'd do if they decided to advance. I actually debated a while after what I should have done if they were interested. I figured they were more interested in the dog than me, so if they attacked would I drop her lead? Try to keep a hold of her and spray them? I consulted around and got various answers, so it was fairly nerve wracking to go back out.