Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 04-03-2006, 12:50 PM
Big Dog

Default how long does it take you to groom your dog?

how long does it take to do a good grooming on your dog?also post the breed(s) of dog(s).my doberman takes lets see
regular grooming 10 mins.
nails 30 secs.
washing 7 mins.
towl dry 2 mins. (you might blow dry)
so for my doberman it takes around 20 minutes.
how long does it take for you to groom your dog?
Old 04-03-2006, 12:56 PM
Twin 2.0

Nails 2 mins
Brushing 10mins
Undercoat raking 15 mins
Washing 5 mins
Drying (towel/drying cage) 30 min. Sun/running 10 min

So between 30 minutes to an hour
Old 04-03-2006, 01:05 PM
Big Dog

what breed of dog?
Old 04-03-2006, 01:05 PM
Top Dog

Mine (Alaskan Malamutes) bathing 10 mins.
nails approx 5 mins.
trimming foot hair 5 mins
Brushing and blasting dry approx 40-50 ins
Brushing for showing 30 mins,
so just over and hour and a half. each dog.

if I have to take all four to a show it can take me up to 8 hours of getting them ready.

Mo
Old 04-03-2006, 01:14 PM
Twin 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobiegirl
what breed of dog?
Australian Shepherd. He hates being blown dry, so that's why inside drying time takes so long. His coat dries really fast if he's outside running in the sun, a fact that has saved my car at the dog park many times.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:18 PM
Top Dog

holy cow...forever...

Makenzie is a 80lb hybrid wolf, luckily he's got a short coat but it's very dense. Completely brushing him down is at least an hour from September til about March, about 2~3 hours total when he's blowing his undercoat, and about 30~45 minutes during the late spring/summer/early fall.

Bathing him thoroughly is at least 30 minutes in the tub and about 2 hours of dry-time (terrified of hair dryers).

He spends his time outdoors so his nails don't require a lot of attention...an occasional 10 minuites time takes care of them. His hair is also pretty tame around his paws so I don't have to trim much.

I try to keep a brush run through him a couple times a day to help shorten the 9-yard jobs to a minimum.

Buddy's still reletively new...but I know that I can invest 30 minutes in brushing him a day and not be done. Washing him is about the same as Kenzie, but he takes longer to dry...a LOT longer (long-hair husky).
Old 04-03-2006, 01:42 PM
bullie lover

With mojo?

i only bathe him every 4 or 5 months - and that takes about 15min in the shower. (he's a boy... he hates baths!)

Brushing can take about 20min during shedding season and 10 min during the rest of the year.

I don't do his nails. I take him someplace else and have them do it.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:18 PM
Happy

Face - forever, she keeps jerking away and escaping out the door when I go for the Q-Tips.

Body - 20 minutes, she adores this and insists I keep going over her. But she's just not that hairy (I had a beardie, I know from hairy) and after a while, she starts to look a little bald so you have to stop. Plus, I'm allergic so I start to need, intensely, a shower.

Tail - forever, we're in agreement that this is horrible and our constant putting it off means when we do it, it's a mess.

Belly - as far as she's concerned, we could do this for hours. I try to stop after two seconds, since there's not much fur here, but she wraps her very large and sharply clawed paws around my wrist to keep me there.

Legs, Front - 20 seconds, she hates this intensely and I try to go fast.

Legs, Hind - 2 hours; 20 seconds for the brushing part and 1 hour and 40 seconds for cursing, biting, escaping, chasing, pleading, apologizing, snarling, whining and resigning oneself to the inevitable (take your pick who's doing what at any given point)

Bathing - see above, susbtitute 'washing' for 'brushing' and include at least 20seconds for drenching humans in water.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:16 PM
Top Dog

RB loves water so everything takes a bout 20 min if he doesn't want to play with the water but that is another story

http://s2.bite-fight.us/c.php?uid=119280

My Dragons
Old 04-03-2006, 03:17 PM
Are you dead yet?

Initial prep: Trim nails, shave pads, sanitary trim if needed, and total brush-out.. Probably takes about 30 minutes per dog. It'd be faster with Ripley, but he pitches a fit about getting his nails done.

Bathing: 20 minutes for Dakota, about 10 for Ripley. Add 10 minutes if I use creme rinse, which has to sit on them.

Combing before blow-drying: About 10 minutes for Dakota and 5 for Ripley

Blow drying: Yeesh. Only about 30 minutes for Ripley, but easily 1-2 hours for Dakota, and even more if I'm practicing show grooming.

Finishing trimming/scissoring feet and feathering: About 45 minutes for each dog, longer for Dakota if I'm actually giving him a haircut as opposed to neatening his fur up. Again it would be much faster with Ripley if he didn't squirm and resist so much.

I only really groom them about once every 3-4 months, and when I do it takes a good part of the day to get both all spiffy.

Normal baths take about 20 minutes, and during the summer months I rarely if ever bathe Dakota since he's always clean from swimming in the pool. I never have to blow dry them during the summer, I suppose thats one good thing about Arizona climate