Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 07:18 PM
SBT Lover!!

I think the colors may be throwing us off because most (all?) of the C/Koolies on Chaz are merle.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:19 PM
Top Dog

No, there's been a red on here, too, and it's very distinct. Kelpies are here, too, and they look very different from the K/Coolies. These dogs have completely different structure, though, so it's odd.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:29 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Well you have to remember that all the koolies on here sre from the same breeder except Rue if my memory serves me right. So their structure is going to look pretty similar.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/trailingcattle
Old 01-05-2013, 07:32 PM
Big Dog

The red coolie on here if from my breeding ...the red boy is Tamlyn and he is from my girl Mindi (red tri in pic with puppy above) and my boy Gunnah...

Australia is a LARGE country, VERY large country, with alot of variety as to terrain, weather patterns, elevations etc....coastlines, mountains, deserts, the bush all make for different needs...longer coats, shorter coats, higher endurance, more "backing" ability etc...being bred best worker to best worker for the job at hand has lead to many different looks, some taller, some smaller, pricked ears, floppy ears....heavier dogs, lighter on their feet dogs...so much variety...i love that about them...so much choice to fall in love with.

Their variety keeps them healthy, interesting, fun to look at....coolies are like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get...lol...and yes very good question...why would we want them all to look the same...

My coolies come from 2 different kennels in Aus., they are active in not breeding merle to merle so solid coolies are "normal"...I think people on Chaz are simply not used to seeing solid coolies, and I personally do not find them to look anything like a BC...not at all...not in looks, not in personality and certainly not in working style. Pics make that hard to experience though...please if anyone doubt my coolies are coolies, kennel name is Coolibah and Borahview they can be found...with some looking (not as out there as some)

Old 01-05-2013, 07:34 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by meepitsmeagan View Post
Well you have to remember that all the koolies on here sre from the same breeder except Rue if my memory serves me right. So their structure is going to look pretty similar.
Fair enough. But if it is a breed, and not a herding mix type, then you think you'd see some about of consistency. Sort of like Sibes vs Alaskans, I guess. Even though C/Koolies are supposed to honestly be a breed, so that shouldn't be an issue.

So, yeah. It's confusing. Hopefully the more we learn, the more we'll understand.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:36 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by avaloncoolies View Post
The red coolie on here if from my breeding ...the red boy is Tamlyn and he is from my girl Mindi (red tri in pic with puppy above) and my boy Gunnah...

Australia is a LARGE country, VERY large country, with alot of variety as to terrain, weather patterns, elevations etc....coastlines, mountains, deserts, the bush all make for different needs...longer coats, shorter coats, higher endurance, more "backing" ability etc...being bred best worker to best worker for the job at hand has lead to many different looks, some taller, some smaller, pricked ears, floppy ears....heavier dogs, lighter on their feet dogs...so much variety...i love that about them...so much choice to fall in love with.
Australia is a continent, not a country, which explains the variety :P

I really like the look of the solid colours...

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 01-05-2013, 07:46 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Australia is a continent, not a country, which explains the variety :P
There is a continent Australia AND a country Australia. (ETA: Although I've seen some people say the continent is more correctly called Australasia.)

Old 01-05-2013, 07:47 PM
Big Dog

A country that happens to span a continent YES!!! LOL

And really it was not soooo looong ago that they were just that...herding mix type...only 120 years ago these guys were a combination of different breeds with some dingo thrown in there (working bitch in heat outside in the outback...here come a dingo...voila)...

Think about the 1000 years history herding breeds have in England or Europe in general and then Aus. history doesnt even start until mid 1800ès really, anything before that was prison records from The Queen...these guys have been bred pure for a long time now so they are their own breed...people have travelled long and far to safeguard this breed over the last 60 years

Old 01-05-2013, 07:48 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
There is a continent Australia AND a country Australia. (ETA: Although I've seen some people say the continent is more correctly called Australasia.)
Aren't they North Australia/South Australia?

My friend in Australia may just be insane. Cause I did ask before posting.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 01-05-2013, 08:01 PM
SBT Lover!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Aren't they North Australia/South Australia?

My friend in Australia may just be insane. Cause I did ask before posting.
Pretty sure it's just Australia.
Closed Thread