Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-05-2013, 12:10 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
I'm sorry, but if you allow your loose dog to leave the off leash area and rush a leashed dog in the on leash area and your dog is attacked/gets in a fight you have no one to blame but yourself. I'm very sorry that the pom died and I can't imagine how awful it would be to see your dog killed like that, but in this case it was the off leash dogs owners who made the mistake.
And with a little dog like a Pom, it's so easy for a larger dog to kill or seriously injure it without really trying. It isn't about the breed, it could happen with any medium to large sized dog, because of the disparity in size.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:14 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilter View Post
I don't think they'll ever ban the breed really - the head of animal control isn't that dumb. I do wish they were more active in going to the off leash parks and making sure the dogs are under control.

For the dog that died, what happened (according to the news) is the man had three pitbulls on leash, outside of the off leash park, when the pom, a pyr puppy and a boxer LEFT the off leash park and came running up. The owner of the pitties yelled at the other dog's owners to call them back, but the dogs were not responding, and the pyr pup nipped one of the pitbulls which started the whole thing. I agree the off leash parks here aren't the best, very few are fenced properly (some of the 'off leash' areas have a fence on one side, 30 feet of grass in a long strip going for blocks along where houses, yards and streets are with no fences - more like a 'here's a greenspace, make it off leash'). But at the same time dogs should be under some sort of control, and that rarely happens in many cases. I never see animal control pull up and start checking on things, or they'd be writing a lot of tickets. Simply standing near the gate and ticketing people who let their dogs off leash from the vehicle to the park gates would be a start, as would watching for unattended/out of control dogs and giving warnings...
I'm thinking of a different event... with a pomeranian, too

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 01-05-2013, 10:02 AM
Top Dog

Breed laws are an odd concept to me.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinsbt View Post
And with a little dog like a Pom, it's so easy for a larger dog to kill or seriously injure it without really trying. It isn't about the breed, it could happen with any medium to large sized dog, because of the disparity in size.
That's what I put on one of the facebook posts on this - it could have been any dog over 40 pounds, all it takes is them to grab a little dog on their spine or head and shake. And that a pom isn't a good dog to have at an off leash park (keeping in mind the ones here are usually quite big, along the river with a good coyote population, some have bike paths with speeding bikes going by, the river is not calm and quiet and most are not securely fenced.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:41 AM
Active Pup

The problem I have with dogs like Pitbulls is that they are like a loaded gun. Perfectly harmless and just a dog..until you pull the trigger.Then they are deadly.
Unlike most other breeds , when Pitbull goes into attack mode , virtually NOTHING can deter it.
Why anyone would even want such a dog as a pet when there are so many other loveable breeds out there , is beyond me.
Can't sign the petition.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:04 PM
Top Dog

My dog weighs less than 20lbs, and if a pomeranian ran up to us off leash, he would kill it in a heartbeat. If he didn't kill it immediately, it would need an extreme amount of emergency veterinarian care to survive. Any owner who allows their dog to get into a situation like that (running up to ANY strange dog, much less a much larger one, ESPECIALLY after the owner asks them to leash it) is as guilty of killing their dog as anyone who puts an untrained dog down on a highway or leaves the dog outside to starve. That owner should be charged with neglect and violating leash laws (if there are any).

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 01-06-2013, 03:52 PM
Top Dog

I voted. Its surprising how many people voted yes. I have the suspicion that this was probably link to an anti pit bull website to get more voters voting yes.