Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-02-2006, 12:19 PM
AusCatDogs_4Ever's Avatar
AusCatDogs_4Ever AusCatDogs_4Ever is offline
but please call me Aus.
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 3,487
Red face Portraits in Progress...

Well I have been working on 2 portraits so far... and I have more yet to begin. I will be posting progess here.

This is 9" X 12" portrait of "Mandy" (As you can see, it's far from being finished, I am working on it more today):

Clients Photo:


Progress...:

It is going to be a some what difficult photo to work with, normally I would have rejected it and tried to get a better photo (the better the photo, the better the drawing will be) but I made an acception because this beloved pet is deceased now.


AND this is a horse I was drawing just for fun before started drawing Mandy. Don't worry, I will finish it later. although it's not as important as it was just for practice...



ALL HONEST OPINIONS WELCOME
Please tell me if I messed up somewhere.
__________________
Need Your Charlie Fix?

Last edited by AusCatDogs_4Ever; 04-02-2006 at 01:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-02-2006, 12:26 PM
Kase's Avatar
Kase Kase is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Britain
Posts: 15,703
Default

WOW they are both looking great. I understand how the pic of May is difficult to work with but you are doing a great job so far. I love the horse one, the eye and nostril are so beautifully done and the bridle is so detailed.

You've done a great job with them both, I can't wait till they are finished, be sure to post pics of the finished products .
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-02-2006, 12:30 PM
AusCatDogs_4Ever's Avatar
AusCatDogs_4Ever AusCatDogs_4Ever is offline
but please call me Aus.
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 3,487
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kase
WOW they are both looking great. I understand how the pic of May is difficult to work with but you are doing a great job so far. I love the horse one, the eye and nostril are so beautifully done and the bridle is so detailed.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kase
]You've done a great job with them both, I can't wait till they are finished, be sure to post pics of the finished products .
I will!
__________________
Need Your Charlie Fix?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-02-2006, 12:47 PM
smkie's Avatar
smkie smkie is offline
pointer/labrador/terrier
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 54,716
Default

cant wait to see step two!!!!! Good for you I enjoy seeing the process as much as the finished art
__________________

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary


Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-02-2006, 01:52 PM
Snark's Avatar
Snark Snark is offline
Mutts to you
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3,805
Default

Very nice! And while Mandy's photo isn't the best to work with, it could have been a lot worse (think white coat on a sunny day or a fuzzy white dot out in the backyard). At least with this photo you can see the shadows and textures of her coat, even though the area around her eye is compromised. (I usually use a lighted magnifying glass to see dark areas in photos when I'm trying to find details to draw. The horse portrait I'm working on now, all I have to work with is a color copy of a photo of a dark horse on a dark background. Aaarrggghhh! It's all the person had to give me and horse died recently besides, which makes this portrait even more important to her. What can you say except that you'll do your best??)

I like the horse too, very nice beginning. Are you finished with the bridle cheekpieces? If so, I'd be tempted to add a bit more shading to the caveson's cheekpiece to differentiate it more from the headstall's cheekpiece (from what can see on my computer, it looks like a single wide piece, but that's probably just my view.) Watch your throatlatch, too, it ends on the same line as the horse's jawline and usually there's some indication of it curving under the jaw.
Keep up the good work!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-02-2006, 02:49 PM
AusCatDogs_4Ever's Avatar
AusCatDogs_4Ever AusCatDogs_4Ever is offline
but please call me Aus.
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 3,487
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark
Very nice! And while Mandy's photo isn't the best to work with, it could have been a lot worse (think white coat on a sunny day or a fuzzy white dot out in the backyard). At least with this photo you can see the shadows and textures of her coat, even though the area around her eye is compromised. (I usually use a lighted magnifying glass to see dark areas in photos when I'm trying to find details to draw. The horse portrait I'm working on now, all I have to work with is a color copy of a photo of a dark horse on a dark background. Aaarrggghhh! It's all the person had to give me and horse died recently besides, which makes this portrait even more important to her. What can you say except that you'll do your best??)

I like the horse too, very nice beginning. Are you finished with the bridle cheekpieces? If so, I'd be tempted to add a bit more shading to the caveson's cheekpiece to differentiate it more from the headstall's cheekpiece (from what can see on my computer, it looks like a single wide piece, but that's probably just my view.) Watch your throatlatch, too, it ends on the same line as the horse's jawline and usually there's some indication of it curving under the jaw.
Keep up the good work!
Thanks for your comments and tips, I'm only 16 so I still have a lot of improving to do. And no, I am not finished of the bridle yet I still have to finish part of it and shade it in better (this is my first horse by the way, well besides the crappy ones without a reference that I did as a kid lol).
__________________
Need Your Charlie Fix?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-02-2006, 05:01 PM
Snark's Avatar
Snark Snark is offline
Mutts to you
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3,805
Default

You're doing really well!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-02-2006, 05:05 PM
zoe08's Avatar
zoe08 zoe08 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,160
Default

Looking great!! Cant wait to see the finished products!!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-13-2006, 01:08 PM
AusCatDogs_4Ever's Avatar
AusCatDogs_4Ever AusCatDogs_4Ever is offline
but please call me Aus.
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 3,487
Default

Oh, my!! I just remembered about this thread.

I have much more progress done of Mandy. I'm going to be finishing it today. I am a little late, but she understood because I had a lot of review work to do plus my exams. (Darn school work gets in the way of everything). She wants it by fathers day so I think I'm going to fed ex it to her. I really don't want it to be late!

So, again, here is the photo:


Progress: (Please note: The scanner couldn't pick up the details done in 4H because it's too light, so it looks a little strange, lol. I tried making it really dark, but you still can't see it... But any way!...)

And yes, her leg is in the picture, the scanner couldn't fit it all. And no, I am not finished of the mask around her eye.

The eye is going to be the most difficult part as it is really hard to see, so I'm saving it for last... I have no programs that can brighten, or zoom into the eye part of the picture, so that kind of sucks.. lol

Any tips?
__________________
Need Your Charlie Fix?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-13-2006, 01:10 PM
AusCatDogs_4Ever's Avatar
AusCatDogs_4Ever AusCatDogs_4Ever is offline
but please call me Aus.
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 3,487
Default

Oh, the horse! I didn't do any more of it, and I won't be until Mandy is done.
__________________
Need Your Charlie Fix?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:51 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site