Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-02-2006, 10:36 AM
AusCatDogs_4Ever's Avatar
AusCatDogs_4Ever AusCatDogs_4Ever is offline
but please call me Aus.
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 3,487
Default Showing altered dogs

What do you think about it? In the future I would like to get a show quality ACD and show it, but I have no intention to breed. I perfer altered dogs because they are healthier and easier to train and I am not planning on breeding any way. I think there is such thing as an "altered" catergory in dog shows, isn't there? Opinions are welcome.
__________________
Need Your Charlie Fix?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-02-2006, 11:18 AM
Dobiegurl
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I think your dog should be able to be altered in conformation, but I guess they want all the wonderful examples of that breed to stay intact to produce more fine examples.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-02-2006, 12:00 PM
AusCatDogs_4Ever's Avatar
AusCatDogs_4Ever AusCatDogs_4Ever is offline
but please call me Aus.
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 3,487
Default

I wouldn't mind an intact male, they shouldn't be hard to handle if they are well trained, but what I worry about is the health problems.
__________________
Need Your Charlie Fix?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-02-2006, 12:12 PM
Dobiegurl
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCatDogs_4Ever
I wouldn't mind an intact male, they shouldn't be hard to handle if they are well trained, but what I worry about is the health problems.
Yeah, the intact dogs do tend to heave more health problems. Intact males are prone to prostate cancer (I'm sure you know already) but that doesn't affect them until an older age. My grandma's dog had developed cancer at the age of 15 years old and she had him neutered and the cancer went away. As long as you take your dog in to the vet for check ups to make sure there is no sign of cancer then you should be fine.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-02-2006, 12:24 PM
Serena Serena is offline
Big Dog
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCatDogs_4Ever
What do you think about it? In the future I would like to get a show quality ACD and show it, but I have no intention to breed. I perfer altered dogs because they are healthier and easier to train and I am not planning on breeding any way. I think there is such thing as an "altered" catergory in dog shows, isn't there? Opinions are welcome.
There is no such thing as an "altered category" in dog shows however at specialty shows s/n dogs/bitches can compete in Veteran Classes for BOB (best of breed) if that is the highest award offered for the day...they can NOT however compete to earn any Championship points.

Remember the purpose of conformation shows is to evaluate what dogs/bitches are worthy of breeding.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-02-2006, 12:35 PM
AusCatDogs_4Ever's Avatar
AusCatDogs_4Ever AusCatDogs_4Ever is offline
but please call me Aus.
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 3,487
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobiegurl
Yeah, the intact dogs do tend to heave more health problems. Intact males are prone to prostate cancer (I'm sure you know already) but that doesn't affect them until an older age. My grandma's dog had developed cancer at the age of 15 years old and she had him neutered and the cancer went away. As long as you take your dog in to the vet for check ups to make sure there is no sign of cancer then you should be fine.
That sounds convincing If I do show I will definatly retire my dog before that age, and as soon as he is, he will be neutered. Thanks for that story.
__________________
Need Your Charlie Fix?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-02-2006, 01:16 PM
RedyreRottweilers
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In Canada they do offer altered classes, but they do not compete with the intact dogs.

You can always show and finish your dog, and then alter it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-02-2006, 01:18 PM
Gallien Jacks Gallien Jacks is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,586
Default

I think that everywhere should have the same rules as here in the UK, people wanting to show can do so with spayed/neutered dogs as long as you declare it, now you also have to be willing to except that no good breeder will sell you their best pup if you are going to spay it or never breed from it, but i still think its a good thing, It must help with the unwanted dogs everywhere
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-02-2006, 01:37 PM
RedyreRottweilers
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

So Galien, are you saying you can take an altered dog to a Championship show in the UK and earn a CC on it, and/or a CH title?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-02-2006, 01:51 PM
Gallien Jacks Gallien Jacks is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,586
Default

Yes as far as I know, a altered dog has the same rights as a a un altered dog, but I will call them tomorrow and check that
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:16 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site