Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 04-02-2006, 10:36 AM
but please call me Aus.

Default Showing altered dogs

What do you think about it? In the future I would like to get a show quality ACD and show it, but I have no intention to breed. I perfer altered dogs because they are healthier and easier to train and I am not planning on breeding any way. I think there is such thing as an "altered" catergory in dog shows, isn't there? Opinions are welcome.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:18 AM
Dobiegurl

I think your dog should be able to be altered in conformation, but I guess they want all the wonderful examples of that breed to stay intact to produce more fine examples.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:00 PM
but please call me Aus.

I wouldn't mind an intact male, they shouldn't be hard to handle if they are well trained, but what I worry about is the health problems.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:12 PM
Dobiegurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCatDogs_4Ever
I wouldn't mind an intact male, they shouldn't be hard to handle if they are well trained, but what I worry about is the health problems.
Yeah, the intact dogs do tend to heave more health problems. Intact males are prone to prostate cancer (I'm sure you know already) but that doesn't affect them until an older age. My grandma's dog had developed cancer at the age of 15 years old and she had him neutered and the cancer went away. As long as you take your dog in to the vet for check ups to make sure there is no sign of cancer then you should be fine.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:24 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCatDogs_4Ever
What do you think about it? In the future I would like to get a show quality ACD and show it, but I have no intention to breed. I perfer altered dogs because they are healthier and easier to train and I am not planning on breeding any way. I think there is such thing as an "altered" catergory in dog shows, isn't there? Opinions are welcome.
There is no such thing as an "altered category" in dog shows however at specialty shows s/n dogs/bitches can compete in Veteran Classes for BOB (best of breed) if that is the highest award offered for the day...they can NOT however compete to earn any Championship points.

Remember the purpose of conformation shows is to evaluate what dogs/bitches are worthy of breeding.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:35 PM
but please call me Aus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobiegurl
Yeah, the intact dogs do tend to heave more health problems. Intact males are prone to prostate cancer (I'm sure you know already) but that doesn't affect them until an older age. My grandma's dog had developed cancer at the age of 15 years old and she had him neutered and the cancer went away. As long as you take your dog in to the vet for check ups to make sure there is no sign of cancer then you should be fine.
That sounds convincing If I do show I will definatly retire my dog before that age, and as soon as he is, he will be neutered. Thanks for that story.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:16 PM
RedyreRottweilers

In Canada they do offer altered classes, but they do not compete with the intact dogs.

You can always show and finish your dog, and then alter it.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:18 PM
Top Dog

I think that everywhere should have the same rules as here in the UK, people wanting to show can do so with spayed/neutered dogs as long as you declare it, now you also have to be willing to except that no good breeder will sell you their best pup if you are going to spay it or never breed from it, but i still think its a good thing, It must help with the unwanted dogs everywhere
Old 04-02-2006, 01:37 PM
RedyreRottweilers

So Galien, are you saying you can take an altered dog to a Championship show in the UK and earn a CC on it, and/or a CH title?
Old 04-02-2006, 01:51 PM
Top Dog

Yes as far as I know, a altered dog has the same rights as a a un altered dog, but I will call them tomorrow and check that